Poodle Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're trying to crate our new 3 month old miniature poodle male. I've started with the top off, and he seems to like lying down in it. He was fine when I placed the top on it when he was comfortable. However, he doesn't like the door. The first time I tried, I was putting him down for the night. He was resting, and I put the door on and shut it. He seemed fine, and went to sleep. I laid down on the floor next to the crate and fell asleep. I awoke an hour or so later to find him standing by the crate door. I took him outside to pee (he didn't go), then tried to get him back into the crate. I took the door off, and he would go in and out of the crate. However, once I tried to put the door back on, he wanted no part of the crate. I'm now back to trying to get him comfortable sleeping with the top off.

What's the best approach to advancing to a closed crate. I read that you want to be patient, and never place the dog inside. However, they said that this doesn't apply when you're putting him down for the night. Do I just put him in the crate, close the door and let him jump and whine until he falls asleep, or do I have to try and slowly transition him and stay up all night?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts