Poodle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading the forum for a little while now, and every so often I come across threads and posts about poodle colour. I just read a thread in one of the subforums where red is all the rage now and are hard to get.

I also read about how white and black are the the most typical colouring for poodles, and it may take a little searching or waiting to find the preference of poodle colour you're after - be it red, silver, apricot, etc. (this sounds like buying a car! LOL).

So my question is because some poodle colours are rare or are in high demand, I would think breeders would price these puppies higher....?

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
It's not that hard to find a breeder of these "rare" colours. It can however be hard to find a quality breeder who breeds quality dogs with full health testing behind them. Some breeders will charge more for the "rare" colours, but most quality breeders price based on a combination of the going market rate and the quality of the breeding pair. I would avoid a breeder who appears to be charging a premium just because they have less commonly coloured puppies available, especially if they have no titles on their dogs and no health tests done on them.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
So my question is because some poodle colours are rare or are in high demand, I would think breeders would price these puppies higher....?
They do price them higher. I see people paying $2000 for a Poodle of a "rare" color that in quality, pedigree, testing and titling of parents really should fetch a price more in the $500 range.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I guess you would call breeders who price rare coloured poodles higher either business people, shady, or great marketers.

I guess this also contradicts the ethics of a good reputable breeder. After all, if they can make an extra dollar on their dogs because the consumer is willing to pay the price, they probably would, especially if they get all they are looking for in their dog - good breeding, preferred colour, champion lineage, health, etc.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
So, I guess you would call breeders who price rare coloured poodles higher either business people, shady, or great marketers.

I guess this also contradicts the ethics of a good reputable breeder. After all, if they can make an extra dollar on their dogs because the consumer is willing to pay the price, they probably would, especially if they get all they are looking for in their dog - good breeding, preferred colour, champion lineage, health, etc.
Does it make the breeder unethical to charge what the market will bear? NO.

But..... A fool and his money are soon parted. It is incumbent on a buyer to be as educated as possible so that he can make the best personal choice.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Does it make the breeder unethical to charge what the market will bear? NO.

But..... A fool and his money are soon parted. It is incumbent on a buyer to be as educated as possible so that he can make the best personal choice.
If the (reputable) breeder is looking out for the best interest of the poodle breed, then wouldn't it be considered a compromise on part of the breed/breeders ethics to put business first (by charging inflated prices based on ie/color). If the package looks great - good breeding, champion lineage, health, etc. - everything that a reputable breeder should offer, thus earning them the title of "reputable"... then it seems it would be entirely wrong for them to jack the price up cuz they know a certain color/trait is the hot ticket at the moment.

True - the consumer should educate themselves to make the most informed choice. If in the end, they are aware of all of the details and still choose to pay top dollar, then that is their prerogative. In the same breath, if the breeder is so highly-regarded then shouldn't it be their duty to be as honest as possible with their pricing.

So what comes first - the breed or the mighty dollar?

In the world of child adoption, Asian babies are all the rage right now. Every celebrity wants one! Would it be right for adoption agencies to raise the prices on Asian kids? Or do they stick to their morals, ethics, and responsibility of placing each child in a loving, responsible and nurturing home?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Adoption agencies are/or at least use to be just as bad, about charging more for the adoption of a most wanted type of child. My husband and I could not have our own blood children. A couple whom we did not know, was in a situation and wanted to give their 10th child up for adoption. We went to meet with them to talk to them about this little girl baby that they were planning on giving up. This little girl was 18 mo. old at the time, this was in the year of 1965. We did adopt this precious little girl,who is now 45 yrs. old. (This was an independent adoption) , which is an adoption where you get a child outside of the agency, but the agency still does all the red tape on the adopters and you still go to court where a judge okays and finalizes the adoption. This adoption was done through th L.A. County of Adoptions. It took about 2 1/2 yrs. for this adoption to get to court, mainly because we were very young at the time, and also because of the fact that I had just been through cancer/radiation treatments for female problems and the adoption agency/judge and etc. were just trying to be sure that I was going to survive. So now jumping forward 2 1/2 yrs. w/good reports from my doctors, we were granted custody of our little girl, whom was already in our home with us. That very same day that our adoption was finalized, we left the court house and went to the L.A. County Adoption Agency, and said "Okay, this adoption is now final, now we want to start proceedings on another adoption, this time straight through your agency". Believe me, sometimes independent adoptions can get pretty spooky, like one time the biogogical mother, about a year after we had our daughter, came to us saying that now she wasn't sure, and may want her child back. A lot of other incidences like this were going on often, such as, them saying, "we do not want this child" " Yes we have decided to take our child back" " No we do not want her" and so on. It got so bad that our lawyer ended up telling us before the adoption was finalized that even if for some reason, the judge would not grant us custody, that he (the lawyer would make certain that these people) w/not ever be handed this child back into their custody. Well here I go rambling on again, but I just can't help it. So back to us going straight to the agency from the court house, this is what happened next........This time around, since this time we would have a choice and were very young and not ever going to be able to bare our own child, we wanted to adopt a newborn caucassion boy child. We were told that newborns were the most highly called for, and that we did not have a high enough income coming in for one of these top priority children, but that they had plenty of mixed races or older children, or handicapped children that they would love to have us adopt? We were only 20 years old at the time, and wanted to experience being parents of a newborn. We became very angry at this way this was being done, and ended up by telling the agency that we felt that they were running a black market on the sale of newborn babies. We ended up walking out of the L.A. County Adoption agency and never went back.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
The way child adoptions work is shamful. I think a lot of private adoptions, especially now, are pretty much extortion and baby trafficking. There needs to be some guidlines to protect the kids and the adoptive parents. We had a close family friend that adopted. Some woman (they knew her indirectly) was having a baby and decided to keep the newborn and give up her 18month old. (Tell you something about her?) Our friends adopted him and after everything was final, his birth mother started bugging them. She kept hinting that she wanted him back, then she offered to let them adopt the newborn! Finally, they moved away for a few years just to get away from her.

Good for you for trying and I'm glad it worked out w/ your daughter!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Top breeders do NOT charge by color or gender EVER !

I am talking about "creme-de-la-creme" here !!!

I would NEVER buy a puppy from a breeder who prices her/his litters by color !

Black and white poodles are the most common since they are bred to BE that color - not because white and black are accidentally more common. White and black poodles for many years dominated show ring and that is why breeders choose to stick with those lines.

Now poodles "of color" are starting to take their rightful place in AKC showing and hopefully we will also see the rise in number of reputable breeders that produce puppies from CH and genetically tested parents with current OFA and CERF.

PS: There could be difference between show pup and pet, but rarely even there !!!! Usually it is the contract that comes with the puppy that is different and nothing else

1 - 10 of 10 Posts