Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering about Beau. I weighed him the other day and he weighed 5.3 pounds. At 4 and a 1/2 months does that make him a mini or a toy? The breeder told me he would probably weigh 6 to 7 pounds. What do you all think?

Debby

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, I think it depends on some things. Was this a toy to toy breeding intending to make toys? There are oversized toys which are technically minis but are really just toys that reach a height that puts them over in size. Then there are true mini breedings where both parents come from strictly mini lines and sometimes toy to mini breedings. I personally like the minis that come from strictly mini breedings. Someone else can help me out there but I think if your dog at the withers is above 10 inches, it's considered a mini.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I measured Beau and he is 8 inches at the highest point of his shoulders. But he is just 4 and 1/2 months old, so he will be a mini.

My mom's dog is a mini but he has real short legs and he is grossly overweight. He is also very aggressive. That was one reason why I was sort of leary of getting a poodle. But I did some research and realized that Cotton was the execption not the rule.

Beau is not agressive at all. He wanted to be but thanks to you guys and your advice I was able to over come that early on.

Debby

1 - 3 of 3 Posts