Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of your fur babies point like a bird dog? I caught Bijou pointing exactly like I鈥檝e seen in pictures. I don鈥檛 keep her tail in a traditional puffy pom pom,but straight. So it was straight behind her with front paw and back paw lifted. Is this normal for poodles?

Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
I think "pointing" may be the first position of stalking. Elroy only points at creatures that are being still. If I allow it, he will begin stalking after pointing a while; otherwise I just say "let's go Elroy", and we move on (most times he listens/complies, not always 馃ぃ).

Registered
Yep Dewy points naturally so we tried some other things. The first time I noticed it he was pointing at birds on the backyard feeder. Once I realized he could track down a pheasant dummy via scent trails I made. I started training him for upland pheasant hunting. He's a natural retriever too standard poodles are originally upland game hunting dogs. Just look at their paws they have webbed feet naturally born water retrievers. Excellent markers on land and water so versatile they can do it all 馃檪. Get ready for some leg pulling though and ridiculing. It's all in good fun and expected in the field don't believe me just ask the Robertson family.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep Dewy points naturally so we tried some other things. The first time I noticed it he was pointing at birds on the backyard feeder. Once I realized he could track down a pheasant dummy via scent trails I made. I started training him for upland pheasant hunting. He's a natural retriever too standard poodles are originally upland game hunting dogs. Just look at their paws they have webbed feet naturally born water retrievers. Excellent markers on land and water so versatile they can do it all 馃檪. Get ready for some leg pulling though and ridiculing. It's all in good fun and expected in the field don't believe me just ask the Robertson family.
Hahaha! I actually know people who talk like that. I can鈥檛 stand to hear my own voice . Beautiful poodle!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a mini poodle. I never noticed webbed feet. I鈥檒l have to look. Thanks for the info!

Registered
According to Embark:

"All dogs have some degree of webbing between their toes, and some happen to have more than others. In some breeds, especially ones bred to spend time in the water or digging in the ground, this webbing is exaggerated and found with greater frequency. For example, Poodles, Cocker Spaniels, Newfoundlands, Dachshunds, and more sometimes have webbed toes.

Even if a dog doesn't have recent ancestry from breeds known for webbed toes, they may still have more webbing than average -- sometimes it's the luck of the draw!"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
According to Embark:

"All dogs have some degree of webbing between their toes, and some happen to have more than others. In some breeds, especially ones bred to spend time in the water or digging in the ground, this webbing is exaggerated and found with greater frequency. For example, Poodles, Cocker Spaniels, Newfoundlands, Dachshunds, and more sometimes have webbed toes.

Even if a dog doesn't have recent ancestry from breeds known for webbed toes, they may still have more webbing than average -- sometimes it's the luck of the draw!"

Interesting. Ty!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In past years, I saw Oliver point birds. Always wanted to try him on duck herding, never got the chance. He seemed to exhibit herding instinct ad well.
In past years, I saw Oliver point birds. Always wanted to try him on duck herding, never got the chance. He seemed to exhibit herding instinct ad well.
I had a Pembroke Welsh Corgi who would herd everyone. My kids had bruises on the back of their legs because he would nip them,lol. I know Corgis are herding dogs but being so short, I can鈥檛 imagine what animal they actually herd. Sheep is the only thing I could come up with. Anyhow, his name was William,but we called him Willie. He was a character.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts