Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tricks or certain foods that I can add into the pups food to help them gain some weight? They're got no fat to them... they burn off everything they eat it seems. They're both at about a cup now of Puppy Iams (Lincoln is 13ish pounds and Tsuki is around 7 pounds).

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't know, something with fat to add to the food. Could you add canned food with a higher content of fat?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Poodles are lean dogs naturally. You should always be able to clearly feel the rib cage on a poodle.

If, however, you can feel the indentations between the individual ribs or if the hip bones stick up a bit too prominently, then you have a dog that might be too thin.

Satin Balls work well. You can find recipes on the Internet. When was the last time your dogs were wormed? Parasites can steal nutrition.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
If the food seems to be okay, couldn't you increase what they are eating to more? Maybe they need a higher protein food.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They're at good weight... would just like a little bit more fat on them for winter (and in general). More kibble doesn't seem to do much as they just burn it off.

Maybe I'm just crazy.... I'm used to the schnauzers who are a bit more squishy but good weight (Kiba needs to loose a pound or two more).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well you just need to figure out how many CAL they burn a day and feed them more than that to fatten them up. Idk if there are any instruments for dogs to find that out, you might want to feed them more times a day rather than just more in one sitting?

Slow down the speed that they eat too, some dogs barly chew there food and their crap is almost the same as their food. Slowing them down will make sure they digest it completely, there are various toys on the market that will help you with that. But you can just drop a few peices into the bowl and wait until she /he is completely done chewing and swallowing the peices and then drop more in.

Idk about puppies but I know with Cassie my cousins feed her as much as she will eat in 20 min. But Idk if that works with all dogs b/c some might just swallow everything in a few seconds

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Prozyme :) Always puts weight on my guys anyway. When I ran out everyone lost weight, Jazz most of all. Had to up the amount of food they were getting to compensate. Need to get more. LoL

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Perry is INCREDIBLY skinny as well, hip bones jutting out, etc... lately I've taken up supplimenting his meals (and usually giving him a "midnight" snack) with wet puppy food - because he is really picky - as it is higher in fat than his regular food.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I would be careful upping the fat content of their food( small dogs/pacreatitis and all)

maybe just an increase in food, or giving them some lean cooked chicken, but I wouldn't want them to gain too much.
I would rather see a dog somewhat thinner than overweight.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'd rather see that too, frostfirestandards. I have never managed to raise a skinny cat, so I'm hoping I do a better job with Teddy. He's just about perfect right now, but I know I'll have to watch what he eats once he gets neutered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts