Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I'm excited and nervous,

I put a deposit on a Clarion toy poodle puppy and I do expect the wait could be a long time maybe even over a year but crossing my fingers that it's sooner. I'm not too sure what to expect and don't want to inundate the breeder with anxious questions :p . Has anyone else been through the process of waiting on a future litter for an indefinite time frame? What kind of communication did you keep with the breeder? Is there too much or too little communication? And if anyone has Clarion specific info please let me know. I'm very anxious as I've just given a stranger a half grand and have to trust that they won't just disappear :D I'm a very experienced dog owner but a first time puppy purchaser (I usually adopt older dogs) so its a whole new world.

Thank you everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
5,269 Posts
Congratulations! And just think: You've bought yourself a year of puppy prep!

With every puppy, I always find myself wishing I could go back in time and get my training methods ironed out a little better for those crucial but overwhelming first few months. It's especially hard if you're raising the puppy in a multi-person household, as you all really should be on the same page.

With Peggy, for example, I wish I'd implemented a zero tolerance policy for teeth on skin. I was just so happy when she stopped making us bleed with those needle teeth, I didn't care if she mouthed gently. Now she scares people who think she's trying to actually bite them!

You could even start building a NEVER / SOMETIMES / OKAY / HIGHLY DESIRABLE wishlist of behaviours and figure out a game plan for each. But maybe that would only appeal to a dork like me. 😂

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations! And just think: You've bought yourself a year of puppy prep!

With every puppy, I always find myself wishing I could go back in time and get my training methods ironed out a little better for those crucial but overwhelming first few months. It's especially hard if you're raising the puppy in a multi-person household, as you all really should be on the same page.

With Peggy, for example, I wish I'd implemented a zero tolerance policy for teeth on skin. I was just so happy when she stopped making us bleed with those needle teeth, I didn't care if she mouthed gently. Now she scares people who think she's trying to actually bite them!

You could even start building a NEVER / SOMETIMES / OKAY / HIGHLY DESIRABLE wishlist of behaviours and figure out a game plan for each. But maybe that would only appeal to a dork like me. 😂
Haha I 💙 this. Fortunately, its just my spouse, senior dog, and I but I 100% should get some puppy books. I have worked with many dogs but have only owned adult dogs so I shouldn’t be too sure I know how to raise a puppy ☺ Will get to work on learning more soon.

·
Premium Member
9,703 Posts
It is absolutely going to be worth the wait. People drop off wait lists for all sorts of reasons, although probably fewer with such an elite breeder. It is excruciating to wait. I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas. We’ve all been spoiled by next day delivery! As Peggy said, use that time to get ready for The Puppy. There are some comprehensive supply lists and training resources on PF. You can spread out those necessary purchases as you wait. Pandemic project! Don’t bother the breeder with questions that can be resolved here. I’m sure she would love to hear that PF members are excited and envious that you are getting a Clarion puppy.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
There are also plenty of youtube training channels to binge watch in the mean time. I particularly like Stonnie Dennis for watchability.

I also love to watch grooming channels, both pet and show grooming. It was good prep for my poodle pup.

I am surprised that they take deposits so early. Hopefully you won't have to wait that long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is absolutely going to be worth the wait. People drop off wait lists for all sorts of reasons, although probably fewer with such an elite breeder. It is excruciating to wait. I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas. We’ve all been spoiled by next day delivery! As Peggy said, use that time to get ready for The Puppy. There are some comprehensive supply lists and training resources on PF. You can spread out those necessary purchases as you wait. Pandemic project! Don’t bother the breeder with questions that can be resolved here. I’m sure she would love to hear that PF members are excited and envious that you are getting a Clarion puppy.
Hehe thank you! I will definitely look into those lists.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are also plenty of youtube training channels to binge watch in the mean time. I particularly like Stonnie Dennis for watchability.

I also love to watch grooming channels, both pet and show grooming. It was good prep for my poodle pup.

I am surprised that they take deposits so early. Hopefully you won't have to wait that long.
I hope so too. I used to be a groomer so grinning vids are definitely up my alley. I loved getting access to those streaming services where you pay a monthly fee and get access to unlimited grooming videos. Better than Netflix XD

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I hope so too. I used to be a groomer so grinning vids are definitely up my alley. I loved getting access to those streaming services where you pay a monthly fee and get access to unlimited grooming videos. Better than Netflix XD
That's a great skill to have with a poodle! Much easier than learning from scratch. I should look into something like that. I have just been watching youtube groomers.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Does anyone know if, after puppy training classes resume, non-puppy owners may come to observe the training, just for a class or two to get some exposure?

My boys were my first puppies in over 30 years and I think that I might have benefited from the observation time.

·
Super Moderator
5,269 Posts
Does anyone know if, after puppy training classes resume, non-puppy owners may come to observe the training, just for a class or two to get some exposure?

My boys were my first puppies in over 30 years and I think that I might have benefited from the observation time.
I am confident our trainer would allow something like that for the right person. Possibly even encourage it. But I guess it would really depend on the trainer/class/facility.

A pre-puppy-class would actually be super useful! Not so much for dog savvy folks. But first-time owners could really benefit. I'd suggest it to our trainer, but she already has such a full schedule. I wish I could clone her.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Oh exciting! Observing puppy classes sounds like a great idea.

I don’t have direct experience with Clarion but my Gracie, a mini poo from Light n Lively Poodles, , has quite a few Clarion dogs in her pedigree. I couldn’t have asked for a better dog, she is everything I wanted and more. Healthy, sound temperament, fearless (important because she is an agility dog), and as a groomer, you would appreciate her thick, beautiful coat.

keep us posted!

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Tonka's breeder is close enough for me to drop by regularly. Diane is often happy to have (semi) strangers there occasionally... for puppy socialization.
Clarion may too...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi everyone I'm excited and nervous,

I put a deposit on a Clarion toy poodle puppy and I do expect the wait could be a long time maybe even over a year but crossing my fingers that it's sooner. I'm not too sure what to expect and don't want to inundate the breeder with anxious questions :p . Has anyone else been through the process of waiting on a future litter for an indefinite time frame? What kind of communication did you keep with the breeder? Is there too much or too little communication? And if anyone has Clarion specific info please let me know. I'm very anxious as I've just given a stranger a half grand and have to trust that they won't just disappear :D I'm a very experienced dog owner but a first time puppy purchaser (I usually adopt older dogs) so its a whole new world.

Thank you everyone!!
We have two Clarion poodles. You won’t be disappointed!! It’s worth the wait! We had to wait, too. They are amazing. We love Ann. She’s the best. She won’t disappear. They love their poodles and are very invested in them and their health. I called 1 x a month to check in and see if anything was available or who was pregnant. Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We have two Clarion poodles. You won’t be disappointed!! It’s worth the wait! We had to wait, too. They are amazing. We love Ann. She’s the best. She won’t disappear. They love their poodles and are very invested in them and their health. I called 1 x a month to check in and see if anything was available or who was pregnant. Congratulations!!!
Thank you! I really appreciate it <3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts