Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter how hard I try to train Teddy - he is soooo pushy. even when he comes to sit for a treat - he sits so straight its cute but... he makes sure he is first. Going out the door I have to make him sit and let the girls go out first - he will actually run them right over to push to the front. Outside of keeping a lead on him at all times, which is hard to do because he gets out of them so easily. Can't make it too tight because he will choke. (How convenient for him lol) He definitely has too much energy for me. I am in a lo of pain so its hard for me to control him. I think Ginger could be a service dog for me but Teddy always butts in when I try to work with her. He pushes himself in every situation even if you have just finished giving him some pets he doesn't want me to pet the others. I am wondering if he should be in a home without other dogs. What do you think? Has anyone's poodle displayed this behaviour? Oh, also lately he gets so excited that he puts his head back and howls - it hysterical!

·
Registered
165 Posts
See, dogs aren't people, they are cute and lovable, but they don't think like us. He's not pushy the way humans are pushy, rather he wants to be the alpha - The Boss. Let him know under no terms can be be The Boss, YOU are the boss ALWAYS. Sharp firm loud "NO" words are in order. If he runs ahead on his leash and chokes, then eventually he will stop, don't give in to his alpha tendencies. If he goes to rush ahead, he has to be stopped, and the other dog allowed to go first. Often dogs that have leash issues and refuse to be trained via a normal leash are to use choke collars (told to me via a very reputable dog trainer.) He has to learn he is NOT the boss.

Another thing to help, no sitting on beds, furniture, and I would not allow him in your room. Doing these things allows him to be on your level.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-alphadog.htm

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
My Mikey is the same way. I don't actually think he wants to be alpha dog though. He just wants all the attention. He just can't stand that Im petting Eli and not him...then there comes his head pushing his way under my hand. lol

He's still a puppy though and he's learning his place in our house hold. I don't think you should re-home him to another home with out dogs though. From what you said about his behavior he's just being a typical dog. I really suggest getting him on a choke collar. They make them in cloth/rope material now and you can order them through petedge or other online stores. (Pretty cheap) That will eliminate him slipping out of a collar.

One thing that most people do that isn't good is buy choke chains that are too big. You want to get a choke collar that just barley slips over the head. I even have to slip one ear in and then the other to get mine on. That gives you good control and helps keep it at the top of the neck and just above the jaw bone. That's also where you want the collar to sit while walking. Anyhow, hope this helps your un-ruley Teddy and you. lol

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know and I have been doing tha with him but he is so strong I am getting weary. I have to hold him in a stay to let the others out. He does sleep in my room with Ginger. Do you think I should let him sleep in his crate? He is allowed on chairs like Ginger and I don't mind but when they start to play they use the furniture to jump on each other and wreck the place! Ginger was doing good respecting me as alpha but since Teddy came it is hard. Should i let Ginger on the chair and make Teddy stay on floor. I am really trying to get them ont he floor anyway - biggest regret but at the time we had the two lap dogs and they were allowed on chairs so my daughter talked me into letting Ginger on. Then when Teddy came we just followed suit.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have a choke collar - believe it or not when I walk them if he wants to pull he doesn't care that he chokes himself and the other day he had a episode afterward like he couldnt' breathe for about 5 minutes. I worry because his airways are scarred. If I could take them separately it would be better I think. He does want a lot of attention. He's 3 but acts like 6 months

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also yell a lot and I heard that they won't respond to that. Its just too much for me right now with my health. I may be getting a tread mill and that will help I think. tire him out! lol

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also worry that when I want to just pet Ginger and I make him sit etc that he will not feel loved. When I pet just him she doesn't come over and push her way in. He is very insecure i guess but is it ok to make him go lay down so I can work with her?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
here I am again - I don't think its dominance with Teddy - he is very very submissive - he wants all the attention though. LIke a puppy. He is stubborn though.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
here I am again - I don't think its dominance with Teddy - he is very very submissive - he wants all the attention though. LIke a puppy. He is stubborn though.
I THINK YOU SHOULD CRATE HIM UP WHILE YOUR WORKING WITH THE OTHER DOGS. WHEN ITS HIS TURN CRATE THE OTHER DOG AS WELL. I THINK ITS GOOD FOR EACH DOG TO GET THE ONE ON ONE ATTENTION AS WELL.

AS FOR THE FURNITURE ISSUE.... I HAVE A ROLLED UP NEWSPAPER THAT I USE WHEN IM TRAINING TO KEEP THEM OFF THE FURNITURE OR TO GET THEM SETTLED DOWN. IT DOESN'T HURT THEM TO GET A LITE SPANK ON THE REAR WHEN THEY HAVE MISS BEHAVED. I EVEN SIT IT THE COUCH WHEN I LEAVE THE ROOM JUST AS A REMINDER WHEN TRAINING TO KEEP OFF. THEN WHEN THEY ARE HYPER I JUST SHOW THEM THE PAPER AND SAY, "SETTLE DOWN".... IT WORKS! YES, SOME PEOPLE SAY THAT IT DOESN'T WORK. I HAVE USED THAT METHOD WITH APPROX. 9 DOGS NOW AND ITS ALWAYS WORKED AND BEEN THE MOST EFFECTIVE.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks - that's a good idea. They actually get off the furniture if I say Off! - if I put down a dog bed they prefer that - just have to find the room! lol I have all the furn covered so it doesnt' get stinky! So you think I should put Ginger in the crate when working with Teddy even if she doesn't interfere?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Pamela, We too are in our 60's and know how important it is not to have a dog pulling on us. Don't want to sound like a know-it-all, because we aren't, there are so many things that we do not know, a person should never quit learning. I am going to list some of the things that have helped us in training our dogs to a leash, and hopefully can help you also. In our younger years we raised and trained a lot of horses and sort of use the same tactics with our dogs.

Start W/a loose choke chain, as soon as Teddy starts to pull use a quick tug to tighten the choker, then immediately relax the lead again. Every time he starts to pull, repeat this & he should learn that when he pulls it will hurt & when he doesn't it won't. By allowing a dog to pull against a choker they learn to tighten up their neck muscles, and by doing so the choker will not work as well. Another thing, we always have our dogs walk at our side, as in healing, not allowing them to walk ahead of us. If they do decide to try to walk ahead, sometimes it helps to do an abrupt direction change on them, including a complete about face, giving a small jerk on the lead when doing so. This way the dog learns to pay attention to your feet, where they are going, just incase there may happen to be a quick direction change. When we first start with our leash training, sometimes we will only go about 6-8 ft. b-4 changing directions on them, just to keep them on their toes. Anyway I hope some of this INFO may be of help to you.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I would suggest, if you feel like he is just too much for you - you could put feelers out to see what kind of good homes are out there.
I don't mean to read too much into what you are saying, but to me it seems like you are tired and overwhelmed and maybe have too much on your plate?
I think a site like Petfinder classifieds - you can post for free and then screen anyone who responds. If no one sounds like they could give him a better home than you, it might just make you more re energized to work with him. (You explored an option and decided against it). OR, you could find him the perfect home and be so happy that someone in a different cir***stance in life can work with him.
Either way - good luck and I hope you are able to find a scenerio that works for you and your big guy.

·
Registered
627 Posts
A couple things that work for me:

Exercise, exercise, exercise!

This collar is sold at the place where we do obedience training. It was invented by the owner of the facility. It works way better than the standard choker. With this on, I can give Max a correction without feeling like I'm hurting him and he doesn't keep trying to pull. Here's a link:

http://www.mistypinesdogpark.com/dog-training-collar/training_collar_instructions.html

More exercise.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks - I will look into this also. If I get the treadmill and they learn to use it I will put them on that before i take them for a walk. That may help. The funny thing is that when I take them to Catskill Village and walk - we can meet people, dogs. and they don't get excited they are very good. It may be that unleashed dogs when they are leashed casuse the problem.

·
Registered
627 Posts
We are really fortunate to have a free, fenced dog park nearby. I can take our dogs there and use the "chuck it" to throw the tennis ball really far. When Max gets a workout everyday, people are amazed at how calm he is for 8 mos. old.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
thanks - that's a good idea. They actually get off the furniture if I say Off! - if I put down a dog bed they prefer that - just have to find the room! lol I have all the furn covered so it doesnt' get stinky! So you think I should put Ginger in the crate when working with Teddy even if she doesn't interfere?

Well, what ever works best for you. I think if they see each other doing crate time they aren't as likey to make a fuss once in. Plus, those Poodles are smarties and they watch every move you make. I try to be as fair as possible. ( I have 4 dogs too) All my dogs do a little crate time during the day. If I didn't, I'd go nuts between the 4 dogs and my 2 boys. lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
I hope all the tips help you out. Funny how he doesn't mind choking silly dog. The folks next dog have a "puggle" (half pug half beagle) who has the personality and body size of a Beagle and is nothing like a pug at all, this dog is HARD HEADED. I have babysat him a few times and I cannot handle him anymore. He will not listen to me for beans and when he pulls on his leash I can barely hold him back.

Poodles aren't dominant and alpha in ways other breeds can be, they have poodle personalities, but when dogs charge ahead, they are stating I AM THE PACK LEADER! Kicking him out of your den (bedroom) and furniture and forcing him to let the other dog go first will knock him off of his high horse a bit (even though he is happy and not a rude dog.)

If after these tips you are still struggling, or even in addition to, maybe some classes with him would be good? He sounds very smart and stubborn, bless your patience! Especially with bad shoulders :(

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I remembered last nite that the trainer I had for Ginger used aluminum pie plates to train - you hit it on you side - it makes a noise they don't like and the are at attention. So last nite I used it to make Teddy down and stay and it worked! whether or not I can train him is another story lol I may have to wear the pie plate around my neck!

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think it would be good to make Teddy sit while you pet Ginger. It could help teach him that you are boss and you decide who gets attention and when.

I only have one dog, but he used to get upset whenever two people hugged or showed any affection. He would whine and butt in between them. We just ignored him, and now he rarely does it anymore.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will try - he is so hard to handle thought lol - but the pie plate is helping. thanks!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts