Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sweet male standard poodle named Mowgli. He is about 80lbs strong, energetic, and sweet!

In late 2019, he developed some strange symptoms of hair loss, pus filled pimples, and burnt red/brown hairs on his low back and flanks. when at its worst it went from his tail to his occiput. There is notable dandruff whenever his coat was shaved down. This symptoms did not seem to cause him any pain or excessive scratching. The hair that is red or noticeably brittle thing can be pulled out while his curly hair on his head and legs are standard.

I took him to multiple vets where they suspected a bacterial infection or sebaceous adenitis. None which were confirmed. He received multiple tests (skin cytology, skin scrape, bloodwork) and treatments (prolonged use of simplicef/bathing shampoos) for the past year with mild improvements. I actually think he did better now that i'm no longer using medications and doing the 2x weekly medicated showers.

Any other poodle owners experienced this? Any insight is helpful!

first couple pictures are the early presentation and last 5 are what he looks like present day.

·
Registered
559 Posts
This can be seen on dogs with a poor quality diet. www.dogfoodanalysis.com rates commercial dog food. Check yours out. To help the problem heal, you can get Thompson's crystal Vitamin C at a health store, or buy it online. 1/2 teaspoon per day in his food should be enough. It will help with inflammation and healing, regardless of the reason why.

·
Premium Member
24,031 Posts
I agree with Michigan Gal that nutrition improvement may go a long way towards improving the appearance and quality of his skin. While I was reading your post I was thinking SA, but have had no experience with it myself. It looks really sad and upsetting. I hope you can find good answers. Have you been to a veterinary dermatologist?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm sure it is very frustrating not knowing what is causing this skin condition. It looks like it would be uncomfortable for Mowgli. Has your vet biopsied the area? One of our beagles had a skin condition on her back the didn't get better after trying multiple medications and prescription shampoos. The vet even did a biopsy to rule out cancer. Then my other beagle started to have the same type of skin condition on her back also. We were eventually referred to a veterinary dermatologist. We tried a prescription diet and more meds. She suggested another skin biopsy to rule out sebaceous adenitis. In my dogs' case, the cause was never identified. It eventually cleared up on its own and never returned. I hope you are able to determine the cause and the skin condition clears up.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
My default answer is to see a veterinary dermatologist. Get an expert opinion - one and (hopefully) done. Best wishes for a quick resolution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts