Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a question about pups going home at 7 weeks...as far as I have known it has always been 8 weeks at the earliest. Has that changed, most of google says between 7 and 8?

I know 8 weeks was super important when we got our Rottweiler 9 years ago, so they learn bite inhibition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess my question is, would a breeder letting pups go after 7 week mark be a red flag?

·
Registered
70 Posts
It might be due to the current Covid-19 situation. They may want to get pups to their new homes before any further restrictions on travel occur. I know the breeder of one of my dogs is going to have to keep her current litter for longer as it’s not possible to have vaccinations or microchipping done here in the UK at the moment and people are only allowed to make essential journeys.

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
Our GSD and older spoo Lily both came home around 7 weeks old. Javelin (also spoo) came home closer to 9 weeks. For larger breed pups from large litters where they learn bite inhibition while roughhousing with each other I think anywhere in that window should be fine.

Reactions: Dianaleez

·
Super Moderator
1,484 Posts
Under normal circumstances, yes, I would be concerned. I believe its actually illegal to sell puppies under 8 weeks in some US states. As others have said, the Covid situation has forced some adjustments. I picked Galen up earlier than I'd intended.

·
Registered
932 Posts
It depends on timing of vaccinations as well. Those who subscribe to Jean Dodds’ delayed vaccine protocol will keep puppies longer, as they administer the first vaccine later.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
april 11th would be when they get vaccinated, turn 7 weeks april 13th. I would be picking up on Thursday 16th or Friday the 17th. had the option to pick up at 7 weeks if wanted to.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I think because of the current covid19 situation we will see pups going home later or earlier. I don't mind having a pup at 7 weeks, in fact I personally prefer it. I seem to get them settled and trained better than when I get a pup later. Thats just me though. We got our boxer at 7 weeks and he was the best of the best. My standard I got at 9 weeks, he was more of a challenge for me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think because of the current covid19 situation we will see pups going home later or earlier. I don't mind having a pup at 7 weeks, in fact I personally prefer it. I seem to get them settled and trained better than when I get a pup later. Thats just me though. We got our boxer at 7 weeks and he was the best of the best. My standard I got at 9 weeks, he was more of a challenge for me.
Good to hear! The breeder is flying a couple of pups across Canada and the airport is about an hour away from her so is organizing all pup pickups and fly dates. I just felt 7 weeks was a bit early but feel reassured.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
It would be a red flag to me. Pups should go home at 8 weeks or later. It is usually lazy breeders who do not want to have to care for them that long that send them home early.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts