Poodle Forum banner

Puppy yelp and is limping

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Aidan 
#1 ·
Daisy is 9 weeks old, she is a standard puppy weighs 12 lbs. She was playing in the house with my 15lbs miniature 7 year old and all of a sudden I heard her yelp and crying and she is limping. They were in the hall and she does not get on furniture so it is not that she jumped. She walks a few steps and lays down, she is now sleeping on my bed. I really thought it was her front paw, but when I picked her up she yelped again and now I think it is the back leg. It is 6:30 pm, her vet is closed and she is sleeping,,, should I take her to he emergency vet or if I keep her still do you think I can wait for the morning to take her to her regular vet. If she does not limp again, do I not worry or should she still be checked out. She went to the vet last week when I got her and the vet said knees and patellas were fine.

What do you guys suggest.... thank you

#4 ·
She went to the vet last week when I got her and the vet said knees and patellas were fine.
Well to really check the knee , patellas they need an xray and send it OFA. She is a puppy , you have to wait to she is 2 yrs old to actually see if they are fine.

It sounds like she may have hurt her self playing with the other dog. usually if they can not use the foot at all it could be broken , but if she is limping putting weight on it it might be a torn ligament. I would wait till the morning like wonderpup suggest. Pleas keep us updated

#7 ·
Thanks to all of you. She is in her crate, she is great when it comes to the crate. I did call the emergency vet and they said that if she was limping but still putting weight on the leg then it could wait for her vet. If she was not putting weight on one of her legs then it would have been a sign of a fracture. They also said that if she was panting a lot, then that meant she was in pain and all they would do would be to give her pain medication. Of course, the pain medication would be after doing an x-ray and some other tests which would be extra of the $95 just to see her, and to expect a wait of 2 to 3 hours.
This happened at 5:30pm she is not walking with the same gait, but I really cannot tell which of her legs is bothering her. She ate her dinner standing, weight on all 4's and she is taking it very easy but is not panting and does not seem to be in pain.

I will take her to her vet tomorrow, just in case since she is so young. I will give you the update once I get back.

#10 ·
wow! I hope she is ok - hopefully she just bruised it. that has happened with my dogs when playing. Teddy has done a number on Ginger several times. When Ginger was a puppy she fell off the top deck (through the slatted fence a staircase high) I thought she would be dead! she didn't break anything but bruised her hind end. Amazing how she recovered!

#11 ·
Good choice on putting her in the crate. Im glad to hear she is standing while eating. Thats a good sign.

I think on the X rays, the vet can see if everything looks pretty normal from the vets opinion. But yes, for actual scoring as an adult, that would need to go OFA.

Keep us updated!

#12 ·
Vega was playing with my neighbors husky and got hurt. It wasn't intentional, Vega was trying to jump over something and missed and he was limping slightly for about 4 days or so and then he stopped. Everyone at the grooming shop was giving him extra attention and love so I think he did kind of link it to the limping. I've noticed now when I correct him for something or while eating food i'll tell him "no" that it's not his he starts to limp, lol! They sure are clever!

He's fine now though, he's back to his jumpy and bonucy self.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.