Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Want to thank everyone again for all their positive comments and help, really would not be possible without you.

Our vet diagnosed our 13-14 week old guy with yeast infections in both ears. I did notice kind of a brown waxy build up 2-3 weeks ago and at first it didn't smell, but it did kind of smell a bit (but no more than the bully stick that he was eating!). I didn't think too much about it but did try to gently clean the outer aspect with a slightly damp cloth once. We didn't bath his head or neck since we got him 5-6 weeks ago. The only thing I can think of other than just natural causes (floppy ears, moderate ear hair) was that we fed him "regular" peanut butter that does have quite a bit of sugar for several days probably prior to when I first noticed this waxiness. Thoughts on the sugary peanut butter?

Anyway, our vet didn't make it a huge deal but did say that if this is a recurrent thing that further investigation would be warranted. She also didn't recommend plucking the ear hairs as it would allow an entry way for say bacteria to enter and cause infection. Sent us home with Oti-Scrub ear cleaner to be done daily for a 7 days and a Miconazole/PolymyxinB/steriod ear drops twice daily. That has been going well so far except we find the ear cleaner to have a very strong fragrance smell.

Question: Does anyone have a recommendation for a ear cleaner that is truly fragrance/odour free? I appreciate that people have made their own at home and I find that very impressive, but I was looking for something I could purchase. Didn't find anything online...

I am in the belief that if I don't change something, that the same problem has a high chance of coming back. I actually would like to pluck a few ear hairs and was able to with my fingers... I plan on using the ear powder and using a hemostat (interestingly, I have sterile hemostats at home). My plan was also to use ear cleaner every one to two weeks as a preventative option.

As always, thanks a lot for reading and your time!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I swear by Zymox (plus hydrocortizone). Just add a bit in each ear weekly and you should have no problem. Many poodles just get ear infection easily. Some hair styles are likely to exacerbate the issue if they reduce airflow. It's just something that needs regular maintenance. I pluck without issue but I also use zymox afterwards. Plucking without zymox can cause infection by opening hair follicles. But no issue with it. I want as much airflow as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Sometimes one of my poodles would come down with an ear infection after swimming. I started wiping their ears afterwards with diluted (50:50) vinegar (any vinegar will do; I used white) and cotton balls. Worked for us.

There have been a few thread about whether to pluck. My last spoo did better with plucking; my current spoo does better without.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts