Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much do you think a 13 week old puppy should weigh? Mia is a big eater. She will eat all of her food and then go directly and start eating Harry's if I let her. I usually let her eat first and then have to crate her while he eats so she won't eat all his. She will also growl and hoard food from him so they just cannot be fed at the same time. She does NOT growl at me around food so that's just between them. Anyway I did the stand on the scale with her today and she weighs a little over 20 pounds. Does this sound right? Harry is full grown and this summer his weight was 46 pounds. I think he really should be closer to 50 and I think he's eating better now that Mia is around to "compete" for food so he might be closer to that. I was curious about puppy weight at this age.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I'm pretty sure Desmond weighed about 20 lbs at that age too, maybe a little over (and he was kinda bony). I can't remember exactly, but I know he was 16-17 lbs when we got him at 11 weeks, and he grew fast. Your girl sounds like she weighs a good amount; sounds right to me. :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure Desmond weighed about 20 lbs at that age too, maybe a little over (and he was kinda bony). I can't remember exactly, but I know he was 16-17 lbs when we got him at 11 weeks, and he grew fast. Your girl sounds like she weighs a good amount; sounds right to me. :)
Good.:)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I think Elphaba only weighs 25-30lbs ((and shes almost 8months old))
the last vet check was 27lbs... shes the smallest standard poodle I have ever seen in my LIFE

I think for a normal standard13wk puppy 20lbs would be about right =]]

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How tall is she? Mercury was 30lbs and 19 inches tall at 15 weeks.
I'd have to remeasure her because I did measure her when I got her and I think she was 16". I can let you know later though. She's not stocky. Her legs are long and slender.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'd have to remeasure her because I did measure her when I got her and I think she was 16". I can let you know later though. She's not stocky. Her legs are long and slender.
omg my dogs a freak xDDD
shes 19in at her withers
o.o

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
At Lucy's last vet visit, for her last booster, she was 24 pounds. I measured her a week or two ago and she was at 18" at the shoulder. She was born on August 31st. I think she's a perfect size!! :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
I think Mercury could stand to put on a bit of weight. I don't like how easily I can feel his hip bones. He isn't really skinny, just a bit thinner than I'd like him to be. He was born Aug. 20th so Isn't much older than your Lucy. He is a big boned boy. It really is amazing how much spoos vary in size. I think the smallest spoo can be 15 inches and I have heard of some who reach 29 inches!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Chalumeau is only about 20-21" at the shoulder and she's 15 months old (Meau is my daughter's spoo) however, Meau is the product of a byb who used a very, very small bitch (the "breeder" SWORE that Candy was a standard and that she had papers to prove it - which we never saw - but poodle people who've seen pictures of Candi says she looks more like a mini) Meau was waaaay bigger than her mom by the time she was 8 months old!! For us, we love Meau's size even though she's on the smaller side. With four dogs in our house we don't need any pony sized poodles! :lol:

You're right Mercury's Mom - there's a big spread in accepted spoo sizes. There's no doubt in my mind that Lucy will be bigger than Meau (and it probably won't be much longer before she is!)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I really wonder if anybody ever visits a spammer's site actually LMAO I know I never did in my life :wacko: What a waste of energy and time it must be - to be a spammer and HOW DESPERATE LMAO

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy is the worlds smalles spoo at 30 lbs actually finally at just 2 now she isn't all boney.
She was always a lb under week Casey at 55 lbs was always a couple lbs over weeks so I think your gonna have a big girl there.

As for food Casey eats in his crate as I can touch take away his food but he growls if Mandy comes near his. Funny thing is he doesn't growl if he happens to eat out of her bowl.
Mandy is a nibbler all day and Casey is a gulper.
Just make sure it doesn't go past this. Make sure you are always taking touching adding good stuff to the food and have the kids as well.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The great thing about her is that she will move away from her food if any of us go by. She sits and waits for me to put it in her bowl, which I didn't teach her, but if Harry goes near she growls. They growl over toys sometimes and I'll tell them to stop it and take the toy away. Hey it's like kids, if you fight over a toy, no one gets to play with it.

You want to know something really funny? The cat is totally in charge in this house. She can go up to the bowl and eat out of either one of their bowls and neither one does a thing. Harry will actually wait until she's done before going to his bowl if she happens to decide she wants some dog food. She's smaller than both of them but she's got that HBIC thing going on.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Ive rarely seen a chubby puppy (and the ones i have were all labs)! I dont think you could really make a standard fat! :) I think she sounds like she is right on track for growing. She may of gone through a growth spurt, and may slow down over the next month (and then pick up again).

As long as she is fine with you guys around her food and toys, then i would let the growling between them be. Teach Both of them to leave the other alone when eating. Riley wont let other dogs around his food/treats but any human or kid can. Take toys or chews away if they are causing a problem.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm working on her taking treats easy. She is so food motivated she will just snatch them and bite whatever is there which are my fingers. So I've been training the "easy" command so that she will take something with a softer mouth. She's really smart like most spoos so she's picking it right up.

There is one bone that Harry had before Mia that he growls about but I'm looking for another one so that they don't have to share. It's a hard nylabone type that I picked up at WalMart and they both seem to love it.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Vaka was 35 lbs on 20.December then 5.months old.
when she was 8 weeks she was 14 lbs.

She likes to eat but she is not fat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I must have the "big boy" of all the puppies! Ryder was 16 weeks on Saturday. The vet weighed him at 34 lbs! OMG! He's gained 11 lbs since we brought him home 6 weeks ago. And yet, I can still feel his ribs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts