Poodle Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Hello, My wife and I just got a poodle puppy a week and a half ago. Lucy is a gorgeous nine week old standard. We are in northwest CT and the weather has been cool, mid 30s in the morning, and mid 50s during the day. We have been giving her 2 cups of water per day and Lucy has had 0 to 1 accidents per day inside the house. The past two days the temperature has increased to 75 to 80 degrees; Lucy pants while walking so we have given her an extra half cup of water. She has had two accidents inside the house in these two days.

Are we giving our little girl the right amount of water at 2 cups per day, should we increase it by a half cup when it got warmer out? Naturally we worry more about her health than the accidents and want to make sure we are doing things right.

Thanks!
My dogs have always had unlimited water during the day hours. At night about 2 hours before bed I would pick up the water. Mostly during the early time of potty training, after that I hung a water bottle in the crate. My feeling is your teaching your dog to potty outside so when they have the need to go, even from drinking they should be able to let you know. Early stages of training if I saw my dog drinking more water I took him out more often until he learned how to control his bladder.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts