Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, My wife and I just got a poodle puppy a week and a half ago. Lucy is a gorgeous nine week old standard. We are in northwest CT and the weather has been cool, mid 30s in the morning, and mid 50s during the day. We have been giving her 2 cups of water per day and Lucy has had 0 to 1 accidents per day inside the house. The past two days the temperature has increased to 75 to 80 degrees; Lucy pants while walking so we have given her an extra half cup of water. She has had two accidents inside the house in these two days.

Are we giving our little girl the right amount of water at 2 cups per day, should we increase it by a half cup when it got warmer out? Naturally we worry more about her health than the accidents and want to make sure we are doing things right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never heard of restricting water for a puppy so correct me if this is common practice, but it's my understanding that you should always keep the water bowl full and clean it once a day.

·
Super Moderator
856 Posts
I've always given my dogs unlimited access to water. The amount they need can vary a lot depending on different factors: heat, growth spurt, whether they have been playing hard, what they ate today, etc. My boy Galen, now 4 months, has gone through a minimum of two cups per day and usually more since we got him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers. We had read on the AKC website that the water intake would be between a half oz to one oz per lbs - Lucy is 15 lbs. We also read elsewhere not to over water. We conflated the two pieces of advice. We will rectify and offer unlimited water until near bedtime. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Good idea. :)

But I should add that we purposely don't restrict evening water either. Lots of dogs (and puppies) do well with a healthy snack before bed, to prevent tummy upset from bile. After this snack, Peggy usually has her longest drink of the day and then settles in to sleep for 10 hours or more.

She's 11 months old.

I feel that if we restricted nighttime water, she'd be much more restless throughout the night.

All you really need to do is consistently follow a good housebreaking protocol, and puppy will be accident-free before you know it.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hi and Welcome to M,D, and Lucy! (We love pictures btw :))

This is not to contradict or confuse the good information already given but here are some very general guidelines that should be in line with the above info:
A puppy's bladder and bowel control are very immature and will be so til around 6 or more months old. They will understand the concepts sooner than they will be able to truly comply.
Generally a puppy can hold their eliminations for about 1 hour per month of age with exceptions.
The exceptions are:
After getting up in the morning
After playing or other exercise
After eating or drinking
After napping
After most anything :)
They're also likely to need to go at least 1-2 times thru the night til they mature a bit.

Poodles are quite good at self regulating so restricting water isn't usually recommended. The amounts of water indicated on the AKC site are more to give a guideline for healthy intake.
Do you free feed or have specific meal times? Puppies tend to do better on three meals til they get a bit older.

Does she have free rein of the home or kept restricted (tethered, crated or expen) until under direct supervision with a responsible human? The idea is to not let them have the chance to make the "mistake", since it's not really something they can control yet.

PTP brings up a good point about a little snack prior to bedtime. It's not unusual for gastric juices in an empty tummy to cause some upset. Give her a little snack treat and a drink before you take her out shortly before bedtime.

We've all been thru this, so we know you'll get thru this just fine :).

·
Super Moderator
856 Posts
Puppies do vary. My boys Snarky and Pogo were really easy to housebreak. Pogo was pretty much housebroken by 4 months apart from the occasional episode of submissive piddling. Snarky was a month or two longer. My new boy Galen, in contrast, is the most difficult dog I've ever housebroken. He pees and poops outside. We bring him in, thinking we have 20 safe minutes to hang out in the living room. He promptly pees and poops on the rug. (Little dude, where are you storing it all?) At four months he's slowly developing more control, and we are learning his schedule, but I expect it will be another couple months before I can even think of trusting him. He needs both to develop more control and also unlearn his belief that the corner of the living room is a lavatory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The breeder we got her from started crate training so we have continued. That part is going well. We did get a bigger crate today so that little miss long legs had some room to stretch. We put the divider in to limit the room a bit. Today went well. Lucy was on unrestricted water and only had one accident in the house.

Thanks aging for all your help. I am sure we will have more questions. DSC_0006.JPG

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
She's adorable!

And how wonderful that she came to you crate trained. If you're not already doing so, try jotting down the time of day that each accident occurs. Or take it one step further and jot down the time of each potty. You might see a pattern emerge, which can be helpful in eliminating accidents.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Our first day accident free. We realized that Lucy was not sleeping enough according to the articles (yes, we read a lot); kind of like a toddler who is past tired. So she had more crate time and every time she woke up, we took her outside. If she stays up, plays, and drinks, we take her out before crate time. We also moved the treat success reward from when she got back in the house to on-the-spot, right when she does her business. She is smart and caught on quickly, and we were a bit lucky. We will take it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, My wife and I just got a poodle puppy a week and a half ago. Lucy is a gorgeous nine week old standard. We are in northwest CT and the weather has been cool, mid 30s in the morning, and mid 50s during the day. We have been giving her 2 cups of water per day and Lucy has had 0 to 1 accidents per day inside the house. The past two days the temperature has increased to 75 to 80 degrees; Lucy pants while walking so we have given her an extra half cup of water. She has had two accidents inside the house in these two days.

Are we giving our little girl the right amount of water at 2 cups per day, should we increase it by a half cup when it got warmer out? Naturally we worry more about her health than the accidents and want to make sure we are doing things right.

Thanks!
I always provide fresh water all the time. Puppies need lots of water. My breeder also strongly recommends providing water in her crate at night. Puppies learn to hold their urine pretty quickly but they need to have consistent house training: they need to go out after each meal, after a stretch of serious play and right after a nap. Every couple of hours to begin with. And, they will need to go out in the middle of the night for a few weeks after they come home to live with you.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Oh my, I just came upon this thread. So I have not read all of the posts. I am shocked that anyone would limit a dogs water! It can kill, both a dog and a person to not have enough water. Dehydration is terrible.

I hope you will find ways to learn how to allow your dog to have all of the water it needs, and at the same time train it to find the appropriate place to relieve itself.

A friend of mine (human) was hauled off to the hospital in the middle of a celebratory dinner last month because she was dehydrated! It was terrifying.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts