Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Dobby is 3 months old now. She was a bit sick but thankfully, she’s doing much better. I still have a lot to work on with when it comes to training her but I was mostly concerned about her health and didn’t care about her waking time at all. I also am aware that she’s just a puppy and it’s normal that she wakes up early, but I don’t want her to get used to this.
She wakes up around 4.30-5 in the morning every single day. To explain the situation here:
I live in an apartment so I don’t have a backyard/garden that’s sterilised for my puppy to go potty when she’s still not completed her vaccinations. That’s why she’s using potty pads right now. When the vaccines are done, she’ll go potty outside when I take her out ( I know that potty pads aren’t the best and it’ll be like I am potty training her twice but it is the only option with my case).
She sleeps in the living room in her crate, mostly because I spend most of my day in the living room. If I put her crate in my room, she cries during the day whenever she’s alone in her crate, whether it’s to nap or to just settle and play by herself. But if her crate is in the living room where I’m with her, she doesn’t bark or cry, she doesn’t have issues with settling. I wanted her to get used to settling when we are in the same room and not wanting constant attention from me. And so far, with her crate being in the living room, she’s been improving and doing better everyday.
I thought it would be annoying to keep changing where her crate is -during the day in the living room and at night in my bedroom- so for her to adapt easier, I didn’t do it and kept the crate in the same place at night, which is the living room.
She wakes up around 4.30-5 in the morning everyday, and because I’m in an apartment I can’t just wait until she stops barking at that time of the day so I go to the living room. She has a pee pad inside her crate (there’s a divider in the crate, she sleeps on one side and pees on the other) and she has no issues with that, she uses it whenever she needs to. So it’s not like she’s waking up because she needs to go potty. When I go to the living room in the morning, I often see her paws on the crate, with a toy in her mouth, basically wanting to go out. She usually eats breakfast around 7 am and she eats right before she goes to sleep as a night time snack too, so I don’t think that’s it’s about her being hungry as well. She just wakes up, wants to go out, I don’t let her so she cries/barks for a while and then gives up and sleeps again until it’s 6.30 am.
If she could wake up at 6.30 at least and not at 5 am, it would be great. I obviously would love to see her waking up even later, or basically whenever I wake up, but for now, she decides when we’re starting the day, not me. I also don’t like her waking up and sleeping again without her having breakfast cause I believe it triggers her to puke bile. How can I make her wake up later? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Well, the simplest method is to ignore her barking until you decide it is morning, but that doesn't sound like an option in your case. I simply took mine to bed with me, and made it very clear bed was for sleeping not playing - they very quickly learned that waking me up got no more than a grumpy growl, while waiting for me to announce that it was morning led to happy games and breakfast. Puppy wriggles got a pee outing then straight back to bed. At first i would announce morning after just a few minutes of reluctant settling down, and then gradually extended it.

Several people have successfully used an alarm clock to teach a puppy to sleep longer - if you search the forum you should find the method explained.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
I'm a little confused by her potty set-up. Usually a divider confines a puppy to one part of the crate, and is intended to prevent them from pottying near their bed (which is not a good habit). How does Dobby get to the other side of the divider?

Is her crate covered or does the room have blackout blinds? It's possible she just learned to wake with the summer sun, which is very natural.

Since letting her bark is not an option, and you've now trained her that barking gets a visit from her human, I'd probably start preemptively waking her up before she has a chance to demand your presence. Then slowly push that time later and later, never giving her a chance to bark/call the shots.

Another option would be to sleep next to her crate for a few nights and see if that helps her to soothe herself back to sleep.

Or...you could employ some tough love and just not go see her when she barks. Since you say she barks herself back to sleep even when you're out there with her, I'm not sure there'd be much difference, except that she's so used to you appearing, the barking might intensify for a few days before she learns it accomplishes nothing and gives up.

Then you have two choices: Let her sleep or reward her for her silence. Both can work, but really depend on your puppy's temperament. When we reward Peggy for doing the right thing, she catches on super fast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a little confused by her potty set-up. Usually a divider confines a puppy to one part of the crate, and is intended to prevent them from pottying near their bed (which is not a good habit). How does Dobby get to the other side of the divider?

Is her crate covered or does the room have blackout blinds? It's possible she just learned to wake with the summer sun, which is very natural.

Since letting her bark is not an option, and you've now trained her that barking gets a visit from her human, I'd probably start preemptively waking her up before she has a chance to demand your presence. Then slowly push that time later and later, never giving her a chance to bark/call the shots.

Another option would be to sleep next to her crate for a few nights and see if that helps her to soothe herself back to sleep.

Or...you could employ some tough love and just not go see her when she barks. Since you say she barks herself back to sleep even when you're out there with her, I'm not sure there'd be much difference, except that she's so used to you appearing, the barking might intensify for a few days before she learns it accomplishes nothing and gives up.

Then you have two choices: Let her sleep or reward her for her silence. Both can work, but really depend on your puppy's temperament. When we reward Peggy for doing the right thing, she catches on super fast.
Sorry, I guess I couldn’t explain it well. Divider with a door, that’s what I meant. She just goes to that side whenever she wants to potty.
I guess I’ll wait and let her bark for a while, if it’s too loud then I might try the other method you’ve mentioned. Eventually she won’t be sleeping in her crate, I don’t mind her sleeping in my bed or wherever she wants to in the future. Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the simplest method is to ignore her barking until you decide it is morning, but that doesn't sound like an option in your case. I simply took mine to bed with me, and made it very clear bed was for sleeping not playing - they very quickly learned that waking me up got no more than a grumpy growl, while waiting for me to announce that it was morning led to happy games and breakfast. Puppy wriggles got a pee outing then straight back to bed. At first i would announce morning after just a few minutes of reluctant settling down, and then gradually extended it.

Several people have successfully used an alarm clock to teach a puppy to sleep longer - if you search the forum you should find the method explained.
I might try the alarm clock method. Thank you so much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts