Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've used the same vet since moving to our small town in 2015. She was very kind and gentle with our senior pup and we really grew to trust her.

So you can imagine our surprise when our new spoo puppy did NOT like her.

After doing fine with the vet technicians, Peggy stiffened each time the vet touched her and then began to growl. At only 9 weeks! We worried there was something wrong with our new pup.

But the technician swooped in to finish the appointment and the growling immediately stopped. Peggy didn't even flinch when she was restrained to get her shots. Nor did she have any issues when we returned to see a different vet at the clinic, nor when she got another round of vaccinations this morning. If anything, she was a little TOO bouncy and happy to be there. She also did great at her first grooming.

So what was it about our original vet? We'd really prefer to keep using her, as we have built such a solid relationship. But I'm terrified of hearing that growl again. The memory of that horrible sinking feeling during that first appointment literally keeps me up at night. ?

Have you ever had a dog that said NOPE to a particular vet, groomer, etc.?

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Not a groomer or vet, but my 4-yo terrier mix hates one of my son's friends for some reason. He's pretty good with just about everyone else, but this one kid in particular makes my dog growl and bare his teeth, and we're not sure why. So we've just told this boy that for some reason we can't explain our dog is nervous around you, it's not your fault, but please just don't get close to him or try to pet him. We want to respect the dog's feelings, even if we don't understand them.

Maybe you'd be better off just asking a different vet from the same clinic to see Peggy. I wouldn't want to force a puppy to be checked by someone she's not comfortable with.

·
Super Moderator
5,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're right, Eric. And the truth is, our vet scooped Peggy up off the table and held her tight while she just hung limp with fear, and then immediately began her exam. It wasn't the best introduction. The second vet, on the other hand, entered tossing treats, met her on the floor, began his exam there, and had zero problems when he finally put her on the table.

Funny that your dog has singled out that one person. I wonder if something happened? What doesn't seem like a big deal to us can be a VERY big deal to a dog.

My last dog went to work with me every day and when a very tall colleague bent over to pet her, his sunglasses fell on her. She had a wonderful temperament, loved everyone, but never trusted him again. ? It hurt his feelings, I think.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
And the truth is, our vet scooped Peggy up off the table and held her tight while she just hung limp with fear, and then immediately began her exam.
Yeah, it's probably going to be difficult for Peggy to move past that. Miracle dislikes all strangers equally, and it takes her a while to build trust, so the introduction needs to be a good one. She really disliked certain vet assistants based on how they talked to her once she started growling at them. She does better with people who don't overreact to her growling, which is what I did when I first met her. You could either try a redo (take her in for a quasi appointment just to interact with the vet if they will allow it), or switch to another vet. Switching might be best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts