Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would just like all of you to know that this unfortunate situation with the puppy has been resolved. The puppy was delivered to me last night in fine health. He was bright and happy and well cared for.

He quicky reintegrated into my home and is currently wreaking havok. This morning we went to the park so I could see how he behaved without my other dogs around. He does love other dogs. I am happy to say he was bright, happy and inquisitive. I had a series of people meet him, pet him etc and he reacted fine, although the swingset had him running the other direction.

I have not observed any touch sensitivity, though at this age I wouldn't be surprised by some spookiness. My son surprise grabbed him from behind and he barely noticed. He is very preoccupied with tormenting his brother, however. We are going out again later this afternoon after he has time to settle down a little. He has a lot of energy which is very different than the lazy puppy that I kept.

He obviously has been well table trained. There was nothing I tried to do that he wouldn't allow. I did not attempt to pull ear hair. I have attached a picture of him all trimmed up. He stood like a statue. I was impressed.

Tomorrow he is leaving for Dallas to find his permanent home. My goal is to place him as soon as possible so that he may quickly become a member of a new family. Whether this is for pet or show is not important to me at this time. I just wanted to let you know how this ended.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Just wasn't the right situation like I tried to explain. I did my best with him and I appreciate you posting this.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sometimes things just don't turn out the way we want.
Glad for both human and dog of happy ending.
Puppies take a lot of work and can become overwelming very quickly especially with young children in the picture.
Please continue to tell us where Jasper ends up Maybe his new owner will come and post as well

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Jasper looks REALLY beautiful !!!! Just a gorgeous boy !

I am so glad that things worked out so well for all of the 3 of you :) and now everybody can relax ! One never knows "what was for the best" , I like to think about things in those terms. Some good lessons were learned and at the end nobody was shorthanded !!! Even Jasper got some nice extra socialization on both sides : ))) and will adjust to the new home much easier : ) ! He was loved and well taken care off by all involved :) !

Best of luck and thanks for the update : )) :rose:

·
Registered
170 Posts
WOW! What a stunner! Pity if he doesn't find a show home, but his happiness is really the most important part. His pigmentation is wonderful!

So glad it worked out for the best. Hopefully he will find his loving home soon! It is oh so hard to raise a puppy when you are raising small children as well. They are all babies and need so much attention it just isn't fair to anyone when there isn't enough time. Perhaps in the future the timing will be more suited for a puppy to be brought home. And as someone suggested before, perhaps the standard poodle is not the breed for you! There are plenty of other wonderful breeds out there, the trick is deciding which breed is just what you need it to be for your own lifestyle and "temperament"!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Considering that KPoos already has a standard poodle, Harry, who is quite well behaved. I think she knows how wonderful poodles can be and how well they interact with her family. I think it's unfortunate that Poodlepal is so narrow minded regarding the appropriate environment for a poodle.

Granted, one might say that KPoos is not prepared to show a poodle. Everyone has to start somewhere. Wouldn't it be nice to give encouragement and help educate someone rather than writing them off?

Whether Jasper is shy is yet to be determined and that seems to be the main question as to whether he should be a show dog. I don't know Jasper or anyone involved, but I have to think that a shy dog shouldn't be in the ring whether there is an intent to breed or not. Even the most beautiful dogs may not be meant for the ring. If a dog doesn't enjoy the experience, he shouldn't be forced.

I'm glad that Fur Elite can feel like she placed Jasper in a home which suits his personality.

It also sounds like KPoos can begin again on her search for a show poodle that has the correct structure and temperament. It's a lot of work, dedication, and tough lessons learned along the way. Maybe learning what it takes to have a show poodle while raising small children is too much to ask of anyone, but that is the decision for KPoos to make.

Thanks for the update. It's good to know all involved can move on to a brighter future.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
WOW! What a stunner! Pity if he doesn't find a show home, but his happiness is really the most important part. His pigmentation is wonderful!

So glad it worked out for the best. Hopefully he will find his loving home soon! It is oh so hard to raise a puppy when you are raising small children as well. They are all babies and need so much attention it just isn't fair to anyone when there isn't enough time. Perhaps in the future the timing will be more suited for a puppy to be brought home. And as someone suggested before, perhaps the standard poodle is not the breed for you! There are plenty of other wonderful breeds out there, the trick is deciding which breed is just what you need it to be for your own lifestyle and "temperament"!
I think BFF said it best. I think it's up to me to decide. Since I currently own a standard poodle, Harry, I sort of have a leg up on what it takes to raise and live with a standard poodle. The difference is the pet vs. show prospect puppy.

I guess in your world Poodlepal one wouldn't have more than one child since there wouldn't be enough time to give each one enough attention. I wonder how you must look at large kennels where people that own more than 10 dogs that they show, because a lot of them do. How do breeders have more than one litter at a time even devote enough time and attention to raising the puppies to prepare them for their future homes? How do people that have families and children ever raise pets? I've seen plenty of people that show and they have families. I managed to housebreak Jasper before he left and groom him weekly. How in the world did I manage it?:rolffleyes:

I'd like to also say that there is nothing, nothing in this world better, than watching your kids and your pets love each other. They both bring a lot to the table for each other.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I know what its like to have to give a puppy back that didnt work out.

And I think, Kpoos, what was being taken as you back tracking or whatever, was you on one hand wanting what is best for your family, and on the other wanting to keep the puppy that you had grown to love.

poodlepal- how can you tell the pigment is great from that pic, he kinda has a few days growth, or it wasnt taken down with a 40 blade on his face feet. Im not saying he doesnt, but all I can see is a bit of the bridge of his nose.

and is his name Stinky? because the photo is named Stinkyhome.
I think that is cute, and its what my Einstein was called when I got him :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Look at the gorgeous silver coloring around his nose and up on the bridge. ....at this age it is fabulous. Can you imagine how this is going to develop as he is allowed to spend time in the sun? The contrast between this and his what appears to be very white coat will be stunning.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I think BFF said it best. I think it's up to me to decide. Since I currently own a standard poodle, Harry, I sort of have a leg up on what it takes to raise and live with a standard poodle. The difference is the pet vs. show prospect puppy.

I guess in your world Poodlepal one wouldn't have more than one child since there wouldn't be enough time to give each one enough attention. I wonder how you must look at large kennels where people that own more than 10 dogs that they show, because a lot of them do. How do breeders have more than one litter at a time even devote enough time and attention to raising the puppies to prepare them for their future homes? How do people that have families and children ever raise pets? I've seen plenty of people that show and they have families. I managed to housebreak Jasper before he left and groom him weekly. How in the world did I manage it?:rolffleyes:

I'd like to also say that there is nothing, nothing in this world better, than watching your kids and your pets love each other. They both bring a lot to the table for each other.
I can honestly understand different views on this. I stayed out of the what seemed like an endless thread once it started to get somewhat hostile.

The key here is: Jasper will be in a better place for him and his new owners as I am sure that his situation will be covered with the new owner. Also kpoos I am sure is dealing with lesson learned. :)

There are things everyone can learn from this. There are DIFFERENT VIEWS - and not everyone will agree. This was clearly not a delibrate situation, however the situation was resolved

Let's stop beating up oppossing sides - at this point - THERE IS NO POINT ANYMORE. It's the weekend, relax and breath!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thanks Poodlepal, I was just confused as I couldnt see all his skin.

So is that spash of dark skin a promising thing then?
My boy Kaden has black pigment on the bridge of his nose, but I dont shave his "nekkid parts" as much as I would if I were showing him every week, and he hasnt been getting tons of sun exposure (its the rainy season)
so I was more or less wondering if he was exposed to the sun more- would he darken even more?

·
Registered
170 Posts
YES! The skin darkens beautifully in the sun if it the dog is born with good pigmentation. Even "pink" skinned dogs will darken in the sun, though not as much as those born with the gift. You can really spot kennel dogs at show, their skin is VERY pink.

·
Registered
4 Posts
K-Poos Quote- "I wonder how you must look at large kennels where people that own more than 10 dogs that they show, because a lot of them do. How do breeders have more than one litter at a time even devote enough time and attention to raising the puppies to prepare them for their future homes?"

First those kennels that own more than 10 show dogs they are showing at one time those dogs are what we call KENNEL DOGS and usually don't adapt well into a inside home enviorment and most of them usually end up Kennel Dogs for the rest of there life. Don't fool yourself KPoos those people usually have lots of what is call kennel help. Not what I would consider a happy dog life. Your dogs life as a family member and pet out ways there show life by far. They should be pets first that is most important. Breeders with multiple litters at a time, most of them are what is call puppy millers, :doh: they don't usually have the puppies long enough too worry about devoting enough time and attention.

Just because you have (1) Standard you have raised that is layed back and well adjusted doesn't mean you necessarily have what it takes to raise a show standard. Overwhelming as someone said was a very good choice of words. You really have to love it and enjoy staying up late nights bathing brushing, brushing, and more brushing, then banding it's no walk in the park it takes up a lot of time and devotion. But It's All Good !! However there are other wonderful breeds out there that make great pets and have much less maintenance than a standard that can be show dogs too. Though I have to say there's nothing like a standard.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I forgot to add...if you want to see your pooch darken to their best potential, shave it EVERY week. Even in the cloudy rainy season, the UV rays do their work. Slower, but still!

·
Registered
875 Posts
LOL poodlepal- I kept him in alot more while it was raining. I think he will be somewhat pink for his show next week, but its his first one since March ( it was a busy-broke-as-crap-summer :( ) but we will get there
My goal is to finish him by next summer, we just might be able to, if I buckle down and do it right

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would just like all of you to know that this unfortunate situation with the puppy has been resolved. The puppy was delivered to me last night in fine health. He was bright and happy and well cared for.

He quicky reintegrated into my home and is currently wreaking havok. This morning we went to the park so I could see how he behaved without my other dogs around. He does love other dogs. I am happy to say he was bright, happy and inquisitive. I had a series of people meet him, pet him etc and he reacted fine, although the swingset had him running the other direction.

I have not observed any touch sensitivity, though at this age I wouldn't be surprised by some spookiness. My son surprise grabbed him from behind and he barely noticed. He is very preoccupied with tormenting his brother, however. We are going out again later this afternoon after he has time to settle down a little. He has a lot of energy which is very different than the lazy puppy that I kept.

He obviously has been well table trained. There was nothing I tried to do that he wouldn't allow. I did not attempt to pull ear hair. I have attached a picture of him all trimmed up. He stood like a statue. I was impressed.

Tomorrow he is leaving for Dallas to find his permanent home. My goal is to place him as soon as possible so that he may quickly become a member of a new family. Whether this is for pet or show is not important to me at this time. I just wanted to let you know how this ended.
He is gorgious. Nice rear, great angles, lots of neck, very pretty. Hope you find a show home, he definately looks worthy of it. Hey you said you were coming to Dallas what part? I know some one who just finished their dog. She's a hobby show person and was talking about trying to find another nice male to show, maybe she could hook up with you. She doesn't breed she just shows and finishes them then has them neutered. She's had some really nice dogs out and owner handles all of them. Let me know if you don't get him placed.:)

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Just one of the many articles about skin cancer in dogs and sun exposure - Just a thought !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use Sunscreen to Reduce White Dog’s Skin Cancer Risk
Trimming face and feet hair won’t increase risk of dog skin cancer.
By Jon Geller, DVM

Q. I understand that dogs with white coats are prone to develop squamous cell carcinoma of the skin. Does shaving a white Poodle’s face and feet increase the risk? Also, what is the ideal length of body coat in summer in relation to sun exposure, heat, ticks and fleas?

A. It is true that white-coated dogs tend to have a higher risk for skin cancer and other skin diseases, just as blonde and redheaded humans do.

It probably is fine to trim the hair off of your Poodle’s face and feet, but avoid trimming the body hair too closely, since it provides some protection from the sun. One of the most common sites of skin cancer in dogs is on their hairless bellies, when they tend to lounge in the sun lying on their backs.

Some white-coated dogs such as Border Collies also are susceptible to skin cancer on their noses, especially if they are missing some black pigment, a protective substance containing melanin.

The primary strategy to minimize skin cancer risk in light-coated dogs is to minimize sun exposure and use an effective sunscreen ointment on their noses if they do not have protective pigment. Although the zinc in the ointment is potentially toxic, it is rare that dogs can lick enough to create a problem.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts