Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Quincy is 17 weeks and has gotten some good people socialization which has difficult and not enough in this covid environment.
What is obvious is that he has no idea how to interact with other dogs. I don’t really have anyone with a reliable older dog, we’ve attempted to introduce him to a poodle puppy, who is 2 weeks younger than him and the other dog was terrified by Quincys “let’s party” exuberance. Yesterday we met a 5 year poodle and tried an intro but the older poodle was very turned off by Quincys exuberance. No one is having puppy classes in my area due to covid, how do I do this before it’s too late? Clearly he has no idea how to approach another dog

·
Registered
341 Posts
Keep looking for tolerant dogs. What you might do is keep Quincy on a loose leash, and when he gets close to the other dog have him sit. Let the other dog sniff him while maintaining the sit, then let him loose. If he is well behaved for the first minute the other dog will probably be more tolerant of his youth and vigor.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Alternatively- if you can exercise him a bit before the greeting, that might help. For example, before I go to training classes, I take Annie for a sniffy walk to calm her down, and then she is far less exuberant when we get there. You can also practice calm at a distance from random dogs with him.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
At our weekly play sessions, I've found it helps if the under-socialized dog is matched with at least two well-socialized dogs at a time. That way he can hang back and watch them play and interact. It's amazing how quickly they learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts