Poodle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s our first night with our new puppy. My daughter really wants him to sleep with her in her bed. She’s 13 and will be getting up with him every couple hours to take him out. We plan on rotating. He has a crate and I’ve been working with him today on getting in and out of it, though I have not shut the door on him yet.
do I let him sleep in the bed with her or make him sleep in the crate?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have had my last two puppies sleep in bed with me from day one, and it has worked out very well. Not one accident. If they need to go out they get restless, I wake up and take them out. I would not automatically take the pup out every few hours. If he is sleeping let him sleep and wait until he wakes and tells you he needs out. In my experience pups tend to sleep much better in bed than they do in a crate, and my puppies mostly slept all night without needing to go out at all.

Congratulations on the new puppy, you're off on an adventure!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Do what ever works for you. Some people subscribe to no dogs on the bed - I do not. Happy has always slept with us, unless she chose to sleep in her dog bed. Bottom line, you are the one who sets the rules. If your daughter wants to share her bed with the new puppy, I say go for it. Congrats on the new pup.

·
Premium Member
15,155 Posts
[Blushing at Streetcar's compliments!] I've always started with mine in bed with me - so much easier to wake up when they get wriggly and very, very few accidents. Interestingly Freddy now mostly sleeps in his own bed in an open pen in my bedroom - I moved him there when Sophy was recovering from surgery and I didn't want her disturbed. He was about 5 months old at the time and happy to settle in a pen, so took the transition in his stride. He seems to prefer it now, perhaps because no one grumbles at him if he plays with his toys in the night! The pen is open because he learned how to unzip it a month or two later...

So do whatever works best for you, and for your daughter. At the same time make the pup's pen or crate a happy, happy place - it was a godsend during the day when Freddy was tired and fractious and getting beyond himself - a call of Freddy Beddy! and he dived into his pen and onto his bed ready for the something nice to chew he knew was coming, and was asleep in minutes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just so everyone knows the current situation, mattress protector is on and my daughter and Bentley are snuggled up for the night. Praying that she wakes up when he starts moving around and makes it out the door 🤞🏻 None the less, we will deal with the mess if it happens, she’s the happiest girl on earth right now ☺

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
Bed at night for bonding and ease of housebreaking. Crate during the day time for crate training. Your dog is going to end up in a crate at some point. The groomer will put your dog in a crate. The vet will put your dog in a crate. If you travel with your dog, you'll need a crate. If you work to train your puppy to relax in a crate during the day time, it will be much easier for the dog in the long run.

·
Registered
326 Posts
My daughter's dog (cockapoo) slept with her from the second day home. I had to get up to take the puppy out because my daughter could sleep through a dog barking from a foot away.
I don't let Loki sleep with me because I know he will be a bed hog. He may someday be allowed to sleep with my son, but he has to learn not to steal and slobber on stuffed animals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Puppy #1 slept on our bed. Not a great situation, but who knew about crates in 1968. #2 hated the crate and slept next to our bed. #3 and #4 in crates, in another room. #5 and #6 in crates in our bedroom. They are both quiet and happy to go into the crates at night. What ever works best for people and dog.

·
Premium Member
Standard poodle; African Grey Parrot
118 Posts
Rhonda never liked sleeping in bed with me, and neither did I. She has always preferred her doggie bed or the cool floor in the bathroom. She has access to relieve herself if needed. But, whatever works for you and your family.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our puppy is 6 months old. We used Susan Garrett's idea of having the crate on a table at the same level of the bed. Kipper sleeps through the night, never had to take her out, but we got her at 4 months old too. We still use the crate, under the table now.

We have her in a crate (have one downstairs too), in an xpen, or in a smaller part of the first floor when we can watch her. Even then, she'll chew the edges of the rugs; steal napkins, socks, similar; chew the legs of furniture; chewed wood trim; etc. I think Susan Garrett's idea of limiting their locations while puppies is a good one.

When I think she won't eat the rug in our bedroom, we'll consider leaving her free in the bedroom, then maybe on the second floor. It'll be a while.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Once the puppy is older, sleeping arrangements can be adjusted or not, depending on how everybody feels about it. Zephyr does not like sleeping on the bed, or even in the bedroom anymore. But when a puppy leaves his mum and siblings and travels to a new home I think it is much easier for him to adjust if he is not all alone at night. A crate next to the bed helps, but being able to snuggle up to his new family and not feel isolated at night can make all the difference between a puppy feeling comfy and sleeping all night instead of feeling scared and all alone for the first time in his life.

·
Registered
Phoebe Duck spoo, Frannie Jane pitt mix
160 Posts
I'll only make the suggestion that you make sure the puppy is on flea/tick meds. I once went to bed alone and woke up with my mother's dog sharing my pillow. There is nothing more horrifying than feeling a flea crawling thru your (extremely long) hair because the dog wasn't medicated. Other than that, if the puppy in the bed makes you guys happy, go for it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Once the puppy is older, sleeping arrangements can be adjusted or not, depending on how everybody feels about it. Zephyr does not like sleeping on the bed, or even in the bedroom anymore. But when a puppy leaves his mum and siblings and travels to a new home I think it is much easier for him to adjust if he is not all alone at night. A crate next to the bed helps, but being able to snuggle up to his new family and not feel isolated at night can make all the difference between a puppy feeling comfy and sleeping all night instead of feeling scared and all alone for the first time in his life.
We already had a 14-year-old dog when we got our current puppy at 4 months old. Our older dog always slept in a crate. The breeder suggested that the puppy's crate should face the older dog's crate. Both are in our bedroom, and they are close enough to be able to hear each other breathing and to smell each other. It has worked out fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts