Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Wondering why we don't shave young puppies down short at 8-12 weeks or so? It would be much easier to introduce brushing and blow drying if the hair didn't need a lot of it, i think? Then as the hair grows the puppy would be ready for longer sessions anyway?

I realise they don't have a lot of hair at that age, but it looks like it grows really fast!

·
Registered
404 Posts
I didn't find my standard needed much brushing and drying at that age, even with his full coat.
I think it would be harder to put them through a full groom without the nice slow introduction of just fft for the first while. The clippers are more intimidating than a brush.

·
Super Moderator
1,818 Posts
My experience is that puppy hair doesn't mat like adolescent hair. It's shorter, because the puppy hasn't been alive long enough to grow a lot of hair, and the texture is different. I had little trouble keeping ahead of Galen's tangles when he was still small enough that I could bathe him in my kitchen sink and dry him on the counter with a hair dryer. Galen was ok with all of it, apart from the high velocity dryer, which was too forceful for a 7 pound puppy. His breeder had already bathed and trimmed him a couple times, so Galen just accepted the baths as something that happens.

·
Registered
7,124 Posts
Who says we don’t ? You can do it if it’s easier for you. I think most people don’t do it because they love the puppy fluff and they know it won’t last long. But better a shaved dog than a matted dog !

Puppies should be groomed regularly anyways, to get them used to it. Some people will do face, tail, feet and sanitary, but you can go all in if you prefer.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I started doing body clips on my puppy at 12 weeks and it was TOUGH. They are so wiggly and mouthy. The legs I mostly had to scissor. I suspect the reason we don't shave them young is partly for looks and partly because it would just be really hard to get them to behave for that.

·
Premium Member
23,620 Posts
There is no rule not to clip them and if it helps to get them used to regular grooming, then why not give it a go, but I wouldn't go too short so that they have enough hair to help keep them warm and enough hair to work on combing and brushing for the learning of the experience on both sides of the comb or brush.

Reactions: Green Bean

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Puppy hair is delicious. It is so soft and luxurious, and Peggy's didn't show any signs of matting until she started coat change. She got ample exposure to grooming with monthly appointments, and yet she was never overwhelmed by the process because it progressed incrementally.

She did look a little silly, but oh well!

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
@PeggyTheParti she doesn't look silly at all! So much fluff! Thanks for the detail, hopefully my future pup also won't get too matted!
She did get a massive amount of attention on walks! She was like a floating poodle cloud.

If/when your pup starts matting, you'll learn what works best for you. For me, it was a shavedown. But that's because it coincided with the start of covid, and I was waaay out of my depth without access to our groomer.

Just be sure to pay careful attention to "the danger zones," like the armpits and edges of the ears. These can get bad without you noticing, and can be quite painful and even dangerous.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@PeggyTheParti i bet! I'll keep an eye on those bits! A bit worried about trying to shave the armpits! Along with nipples 😅 i'm sure the breeder will show me some tricks when i visit her!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Toffees first groom was a shave but that was because she had a small fungal infection on her back left leg n the vet wanted to check it wasnt spreading. Before then she hated being brushed but we brushed her daily after the shave n now she's very comfortable being brushed, except on her head!

She took a few days to get used to her shave though n she slid around a lot n in my opinion looked....not great. But it did grow back very quickly

·
Super Moderator
6,436 Posts
Toffees first groom was a shave but that was because she had a small fungal infection on her back left leg n the vet wanted to check it wasnt spreading. Before then she hated being brushed but we brushed her daily after the shave n now she's very comfortable being brushed, except on her head!

She took a few days to get used to her shave though n she slid around a lot n in my opinion looked....not great. But it did grow back very quickly View attachment 471167
This might be the cutest, saddest photo I've ever seen on Poodle Forum! I just want to scoop her up and wrap her in soft blankets. What an angel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This might be the cutest, saddest photo I've ever seen on Poodle Forum! I just want to scoop her up and wrap her in soft blankets. What an angel.
It was a distressing time for her. With hindsight though, quite an amusing time really! That picture definitely encapsulates her feeling toward life at that time!hehe. She was all over the 'borrowed' aeroplane blankets, possibly her favourite thing of all the toys n games we've actually spent money on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts