Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to wash him as soon as we get him home (due to him being at a house with multiple dog breeds and us having allergies ). Breeder said to just use J&J baby shampoo for now but I don't have any ( my kids use Aveeno Baby Wash and L'Oreal kids shampoo ).

Would one of those work? Or another human shampoo (we have all kinds here)?

If I have to go out and buy J&J, I might as well just pick up an inexpensive dog shampoo. I have a Petco and PEtsmart nearby...and recs for a shampoo? Do I need to condition too?

thanks

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
The baby wash or kids shampoo should be ok for one wash. I ran out of dog shampoo here last month and the shampoo I had order had not arrived when I groomed my friend's poodle. I used my Treseme' on her and it was ok. The benifit with the J&J is that it is gentle and hypo soooo it would probably be the best thing to use as far as human products go. But like you said if you can run out and get that then you could just pick up a puppy shampoo. If thats the case, try and find a tearless puppy shampoo. If you end up using the human shampoo or baby wash then A) make sure it is tearless or B) don't wash the head with it so there won't be a danger of getting it in the pups eyes :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think either one is better to use? I think they are both tear free

I also have regular shampoo like Suave, Dove, Paul Mitchell etc

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Between the two I don't think there is much difference. If one or the other is hypoallerginic then go with that one. Otherwise, use whichever you like. Don't worry about using your regular shampoo on them, that probably won't be nearly as gentle as the baby stuff.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Johnson's baby shampoo is what I use on young puppies. Either should be good. Just use what you have on hand for your baby.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clippers. Suggestions?

I am a poodle owner who wants to do the grooming herself. What is the main tool for cutting Noki's hair? I assume it is an electric clipper. Am I correct? Or is it done with comb and scissors? What is the best choice in a reasonably priced but effective clipper?

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I am a poodle owner who wants to do the grooming herself. What is the main tool for cutting Noki's hair? I assume it is an electric clipper. Am I correct? Or is it done with comb and scissors? What is the best choice in a reasonably priced but effective clipper?
It would probably be best to ask in a thread.
Talking about Shampoo and then switching to this may get confusing :)

Welcome to poodle forum by the way too!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts