Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can literally train puppies to know what to expect next. I've trained Mia to know that as soon as she's done eating, we will go outside for pooping. Our schedule is that she will come out of the crate, go outside for peeing, come in to eat, go out for pooping, play with Harry and toys for a while, pee again, and go for a nap in the crate. She gets a treat each time (oh and don't think Harry doesn't get his treat too:rolffleyes: ) she goes back in the crate so she is completely crate trained now with no crying. She anticipates what we are going to do because I've scheduled it that way. She does get time out without pooping because she doesn't eat every single time but she knows to go directly to the door for peeing and then back in the house for play time. I sort of have to keep her in one area of the house and she stays in that area most of the time and even if I'm not looking she will use the family room as her preferred play area. I've also found that if she has more freedom in the house, she has less accidents (this doesn't work for all puppies) because she's not focused on relieving herself, she's playing.

I've had to develop this schedule of doing things with them at different times because they growl at each other over food so I have to gate her off while she's eating and then he eats later. I guess being a mom has helped me to learn how to schedule things in a way that is predictable and works for everyone.

·
Registered
243 Posts
KPoo you are doing a wonderful job and Mia sounds very smart. I too believe in a routine, they seem happier and they know what to expect and it makes training easy. I have four children, only one living at home now and he is fifteen, One is away at college and comes home occassionally, and the other two are living on their own,.....and having a daily routine especially when they were younger, helped me keep my sanity...LOL.. now they have all grown up to be responsible adults that I am very proud of.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't know what I would do without a routine with a new puppy. I cannot understand why I have such trouble getting some of my puppy class students to understand. It makes things SOOOOO much easier.

Can your baby tell time yet? You could almost set a clock by my guys, they know when it's dinner time and about 15 minutes before they start getting antsy and hyper.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No but she knows exactly where things are like her food and treats and if I go into our pantry for anything she assumes it's for food or treats and she gets ready to do what she's used to doing. She sits and waits for her food and hauls it to her crate for her special treat. She's a smart kid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts