Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I will be getting my puppy in 9 days! Does anyone have any recommendations for a puppy schedule (for toilet breaks, training sessions, play times, naps etc). Just want to do everything I can to make sure he settles in well :)

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
Welcome! That's so exciting! Hope you'll share lots of pictures when puppy comes home. :)

A young puppy needs 18-20 hours of sleep per day, so your primary focus will be ensuring he gets adequate rest, regular meals (at least three a day to start), and lots of potty breaks. You don't mention which size poodle you're bringing home, but potty breaks every couple of hours to start, plus one after every meal, snooze, and play session, is pretty normal.

My husband and I kept a written schedule, making note of the time of every meal, snack, potty break, accident, nap, etc. In fact, we still do. I find it extremely helpful, especially if you have more than one human participating in the puppy-raising process. We've used these notes to track and identify allergies, troubleshoot housebreaking glitches, adjust Peggy's feeding schedule as her dietary needs evolved, and more.

For a more detailed guide on how to structure the important early days, I recommend reading two excellent books by Ian Dunbar:

I own a hardcover version, which includes both titles. It's been invaluable with each of my puppies, and I learn something new with each read.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Jaanu is a black minipoo :) and he will be a little over 9 wks old. And thank you so much for the suggestions! It's really good to have a better idea of what the days will look like. Will get a notebook to keep a log of these kinds of things, I can definitely see how that would be very helpful. I have read the two Dunbar books and absolutely loved them. They will definitely be my compass in this puppy-raising adventure!

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
He's gonna be such a cutie! Thanks for sharing your excitement with us. :)

This is the template my husband made for our daily notes:

We print a fresh one out every Sunday before bed (we're huge dorks) and fill in all those little rectangles with the details of Peggy's days, such as "12pm 1/2 cup kibble" or "2pm clicker session with string cheese" or—my personal favourite—"3pm vomited up hair scrunchie."

Lol.

Obviously a notebook is perfectly fine (and much less dorky). Whatever you use, it's actually pretty fun looking back at your notes from the past year. Life with puppies is never boring. :)

·
Registered
525 Posts
He's gonna be such a cutie! Thanks for sharing your excitement with us. :)

This is the template my husband made for our daily notes:

View attachment 467867

We print a fresh one out every Sunday before bed (we're huge dorks) and fill in all those little rectangles with the details of Peggy's days, such as "12pm 1/2 cup kibble" or "2pm clicker session with string cheese" or—my personal favourite—"3pm vomited up hair scrunchie."

Lol.

Obviously a notebook is perfectly fine (and much less dorky). Whatever you use, it's actually pretty fun looking back at your notes from the past year. Life with puppies is never boring. :)
PTP, I envy you and your husband’s creativity! When I was potty training for the first time, I literally just wrote down every potty break in an old notebook... Mind if I steal this for the future? 😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts