Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and didn't come up with anything on this - though apologies if I missed it.

Miss Pixie did all her business outside yesterday, except I couldn't get her to do a final visit again because she freaks out being outside in the dark. This was night 2 where I've taken her out, it's dark but we have floods on the yard and she panics looking around at the sounds and cars driving by (not many).

How can I help her? Sit with her outside holding her and let her take it in? She's ok at dusk, but when I take her out at 9:30 before bed it's panic city!

She's only been with us 5 nights and is doing GREAT so I'm not complaining at all - just trying to find a good way to get her over this hump :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Puppies have fear phases and will outgrow most of them.

Does she go in the backyard or are you taking her on a leash ?

In any case, I would go with her and stay close and reassure her with my voice.

You could also put her to bed a little earlier for a while, until she overcomes the fear. Then slowly go back to your desired bed time.

I’m pretty sure you’ll update in a few weeks and you won’t ever remember this!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puppies have fear phases and will outgrow most of them.

Does she go in the backyard or are you taking her on a leash ?

In any case, I would go with her and stay close and reassure her with my voice.

You could also put her to bed a little earlier for a while, until she overcomes the fear. Then slowly go back to your desired bed time.

I’m pretty sure you’ll update in a few weeks and you won’t ever remember this!
I bet you're right that it will be a passing phase :)

I take her to her potty spot in our front yard on a leash. We don't have a fenced in yard, so she'll always be leashed as we have woods surrounding us with coyotes and fisher cats and the like. :afraid:

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
I would try very slowly and gently accustoming her to the dark. Open the door and take a chair outside to watch the sunset together, then go in and out, sitting down outside for a few minutes. Have good treats and praise and reward her for being brave, but don't force her. If she wants to go back in let her while you enjoy the evening, until she learns that it is nice to be out there with you, and that nothing bad happens. First make sure that nothing dangerous is lurking in your yard, of course!

eta - Just read your second post - it sounds as if perhaps she is wise to be cautious!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I turn on the back porch light at night so the dogs feel safe. We have all kinds of animals who are around at night: feral horses, bears, skunks, coyotes, bobcats, etc. The light tends to keep the wildlife away (except for skunks).

So the easy answer to your problem is to turn on a light. If you don't have a porch light, you could buy a little electric lantern and use it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I turn on the back porch light at night so the dogs feel safe. We have all kinds of animals who are around at night: feral horses, bears, skunks, coyotes, bobcats, etc. The light tends to keep the wildlife away (except for skunks).

So the easy answer to your problem is to turn on a light. If you don't have a porch light, you could buy a little electric lantern and use it.
Thank you! I do have huge flood lights lightig us, and our front yard (away from the woods) up. BUT I do also have floods at the side yard that I can turn on and maybe that will help too!

·
Registered
331 Posts
My puppy was afraid of her shadow the first few times we went out at night.
She got over it quickly but the light I have isn’t very powerful.
Do the floodlights cast strong shadows? Maybe a more subtle porch light would help.
I carry a flashlight to quickly verify no skunks or raccoons are around and then turn it on again to find her poo :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts