Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poppi, who is a 9-month-old miniature poodle, gets groomed every 4-5 weeks by a professional who grooms show poodles. We brush her almost daily in between grooming sessions. She has never enjoyed being brushed as she does not like to be still, but ever since she was groomed last time, just over a week ago (her coat is changing and due to some matting, very sadly, it had to be shaved), she is VERY resistant to being brushed. She won't sit or stand still and squirms away from any brushing. We don't know if she was traumatized during the last grooming, but this is a major problem since the brushing is so crucial. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to improve the brushing experience? We do give her treats periodically while on the table. She used to want to get up on the table for brushing, but she does not want to get on the table anymore. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Are you using a grooming spray? Even highly dilute conditioner in a spray bottle will work. What specific type of brush are you using for Poppi? Are you also using a metal comb after brushing?

I would immediately up the treats and go for tiny grooming sessions instead of longer ones. If you watch tv, you can spritz her and gently brush and comb a small area.

Could be you might want to change the type of brush you are using. If you use a slicker, run it up the inside of your forearm. If it's painful for you, beware when using it on Poppi. There are softer types of slickers that are still effective.

With her shorter coat, could be whatever brushing is being done is bugging her skin, so just go slowly and if the brush gets caught, stop and spray more conditioner, then gently hold her hair at the base to prevent pulling while you work out the tangle.

Maybe do a little bit every other commercial or I dunno, first down if you watch football ;). And stop to give her gentle rubs. Oliver adores having his chin and down his chest rubbed and held gently. Hth.

·
Premium Member
3,334 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
type of brush

We are using an Artero double flexible slicker brush. We also have a good conditioner that was recommended by her groomer. We do also have a comb that we use after brushing. Really hope to get a handle on this soon. Appreciate all input very much; thank you!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Maybe in-between during her cuddling time sit on the floor with her and lightly brush her. I do this with my guy and loves it, he is relaxed likes me next to him.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Sounds like she was traumatized by the last groom and or hates the way it feels with her shorter coat. Were you there for the groom?

I would start getting her to not mind by being on the table again. Do you have the table at home or is it the groomers table? Putting on the table several times a day and make it a very short session. Lightly brush a stroke and then praise with treats and scratches . Make a big deal then let her off. Then do it throughout the day.

Sandy doesn’t necessarily like going on the grooming table but she knows she has to stay there and put up with it .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts