Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 6 month old toy has been refusing hard foods of any kind recently. this includes both her daily dry food and semi-moist treats on the hard side.
we thought she was simply bored of her daily treats and food and got sample packets today of new products but after chewing for a bit, she spat them right out! she only accepted these super moist treats and cooked chicken.
she’s not in any pain as she plays with her tug toys well.
i don’t want her to learn that she can just get her way by refusing and she also needs hard foods for dental care in general.

how can i persuade her to eat hard foods again?

·
Premium Member
24,032 Posts
I would soak her hard food for a while. She is probably getting ready to teethe and would probably appreciate not having to crunch on hard stuff.

Reactions: Ava. and cowpony

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
I agree - it is very likely teething. Kibble really is not very effective for dental care - brushing is much better - so I don't think it is necessary to insist on her eating something that makes her uncomfortable for that reason. Moistening kibble with plain warm water or home made salt free chicken stock would be my recommendation.

·
Registered
Standard Poodle (arriving April 21st !!)
459 Posts
Plain warm water or home made salt free chicken stock would be my recommendation.
I don't want to steal the thread but:
To be sure I understand. Is this what you brush with? Not doggie toothpaste?

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
No - those are to moisten the dry food! Enzymatic toothpaste for brushing. I will edit to remove the potential confusion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree - it is very likely teething. Kibble really is not very effective for dental care - brushing is much better - so I don't think it is necessary to insist on her eating something that makes her uncomfortable for that reason. Moistening kibble with plain warm water or home made salt free chicken stock would be my recommendation.
I would also insist on him eating hard dog food since I thought his teeth would suffer if he won't eat but thanks to this! I even buy dentastix but from now on regular brushing would be in his new routine.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I would also insist on him eating hard dog food since I thought his teeth would suffer if he won't eat but thanks to this! I even buy dentastix but from now on regular brushing would be in his new routine.
Here's a pinned thread in the grooming section on teeth brushing for an example of what the end goal to look like:

If you search "teeth care" or "toothbrushing" or other key words on the forum, then you'll come across lots of tips and tricks from other furparents too.

It's a daily fun bonding experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts