Poodle Forum banner

161 - 180 of 218 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,404 Posts
Tiny I know your baby girl is great and has been super easy. I am not sure I would call that luck, I think there is skill and experience behind that, but I want to add that if someone isn't sure they can handle a puppy or that how things will go really is going to depend on luck they need to think carefully. One of my current novice students is older and has three dogs (all poodles, 2 standards, one mini). The youngest one is a spoo girl about Javvy's age. She is a handful for the owner who finds her to be too aggressive at home in playing with the other dogs. She is going to try using a basket muzzle with her for the yard, since I do think the dog is smart and has potential, but she has also said she would consider rehoming her if things don't improve.

·
Banned
10,387 Posts
Tiny I know your baby girl is great and has been super easy. I am not sure I would call that luck, I think there is skill and experience behind that, but I want to add that if someone isn't sure they can handle a puppy or that how things will go really is going to depend on luck they need to think carefully. One of my current novice students is older and has three dogs (all poodles, 2 standards, one mini). The youngest one is a spoo girl about Javvy's age. She is a handful for the owner who finds her to be too aggressive at home in playing with the other dogs. She is going to try using a basket muzzle with her for the yard, since I do think the dog is smart and has potential, but she has also said she would consider rehoming her if things don't improve.

Well if there is any skill and experience behind it, I would say that it is my experience in knowing just what traits comprise a really great dog for me, being able to communicate that to my breeder, and her experience and skills in choosing a puppy for me that was precisely that. The luck part was that all of those traits happened to appear in a puppy that was also the color, size, and sex that I wanted. But Trulee really did walk in the door with the behaviors that took me a couple of years to cultivate in Timi, so that is why I call it lucky! About the only thing that I had to use some skills to work on with Trulee was acclimating her to grooming, and with her possessing the correct temperament traits, that transition happened surprisingly rapidly 😁

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow! I really needed to read this thread today. I’ve had my toy poodle puppy, Wilby, for two and a half weeks now. He’s 11 weeks old.

He really is a little bundle of snuggles and I do love him so much, but caring for him is so much more exhausting and overwhelming than I imagined. I sometimes wish I could have a break just for 24 hours to catch up on sleep and just have some ‘me time’. I broke down and cried for about half an hour this afternoon after he was crazy barking in his car seat and all the ignoring in the world didn't seem to make a difference. It all just seemed too much.

It's so encouraging to hear I'm not the only one and things will get better.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yep,good to know I am not alone in this ! My last 2 whippets were adults,the golberian retusky had always lived outside,though she was just 4 months old (and i suspect she was really an angel sent to stop my downward spiral after the sudden death of my heartdog)-I had not had a "puppy" since 1999,and not a poodle puppy since I was 12! I just keep repeating 'we will get through this" and when Otter looks at me sadly and tucks his head in the crook of my arm, i say "well,you're not so bad,and you WILL get over this "..and then I will miss the puppy foolishness...some of it.

Martha and Saphire Lutra Patronus,and his very tired brother Che-Whippet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay, I'll just vent here for a second.

My new pup is now 9 weeks old and has been home for exactly a week. For the first couple of days, I thought something was wrong because she really didn't even walk much.

Ever since then? It's been NON. STOP.

Crate training has been very hard because she screams in there ALL night long. She barks and yelps and gets very loud, and doesn't stop - even though I am right next to her and she stares at me as she screams. So, no sleep here, going on 6 nights now.

During the day, we're home with her (thankfully we work from home), and she must be confined for some hours for us to get some work done... she screams her head off then, too. The minute we let her out she wants to nap, even if it's outside to potty... it's like she says, "Thank goodness you let me out, I was so tired and couldn't get a minute of sleep in that stupid crate!"

If she's freshly pottied, we play with her... but she is SO hard to play with because the only things she wants in her mouth, are things she should have in there. Rugs, curtains, blankets, sofa, chair, shoes, laces, our hands, my hair, my dress, pants... anything that isn't a chewtoy (which keep getting stuffed in her mouth by us, and she refuses to take).

It's only been a week. I know it gets harder from here... and I am already feeling at my wit's end. :(

I'm spending time training her with each of her meals, she looks me in the eyes now where before she wouldn't even look up at my face... and she knows to sit before coming out of her crate or coming in the house, we're working on fetching which she does pretty well... tug of war, attention games - and she does do well, I have to give her credit.

But the other 90% of the time? I really feel like my head's about to explode!

Really hoping the rest of her puppyhood isn't going to be even harder than this as people tend to say... because I don't know how much more of it I can take, even at this level of insanity and even though it's really only been a week. :afraid::afraid::afraid:

Whew. I feel better to have gotten that out. Off to rescue the hubby who's been trying to keep her engaged while I typed this out... thanks for being here for us!

·
Premium Member
5,950 Posts
take a breath you will get past this

the crate is your friend

puppy needs to take breaks to wind down whether she wants it, she needs it

Also puppy needs to learn to amuse herself, learn that it's okay to be alone , a kong and chew sticks helped me out with that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
take a breath you will get past this

the crate is your friend

puppy needs to take breaks to wind down whether she wants it, she needs it

Also puppy needs to learn to amuse herself, learn that it's okay to be alone , a kong and chew sticks helped me out with that.
Thank you, twyla! She has chew sticks and 3 kinds of Kongs, she's only interested in the Kongs when she is OUT of her crate. When she's in there, she ignores them completely.

I'm hoping as she gets older, she may develop enough of an interest in them to where she'll be interested in them even when in her crate. Of course I'm also hoping that I'll sleep once again, at some point in the future... lol!

·
Premium Member
5,950 Posts
You have to be strong and let her work through being by herself. Admittedly my first pup just abour broke me with her screaming, I knuckled under too soon so I never taught her to be by herself, she was my first puppy.

I learned from that

·
Premium Member
22,404 Posts
Scarlet you have to tough it out with the crate. Does your baby have interesting stuff in the Kongs when she is in the crate? Kibble with maybe a little extra tasty something to get her to interact with it. Also there may be other things than Kongs that she would like better. None of my dogs has ever had any interest at all in Kongs, but they all dearly love any toys from WestPaw Designs. There are rubber chew toys that can be stuffed with kibble or treats and soft toys that are amazingly indestructible even for out German Shepherd dog who is a notorious destroyer of soft toys. As another thought maybe you should cover her crate so it feels more den like to her. Also maybe try putting an old t shirt with your scent on it in the crate with her as a comfort object.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Scarlet you have to tough it out with the crate. Does your baby have interesting stuff in the Kongs when she is in the crate? Kibble with maybe a little extra tasty something to get her to interact with it. Also there may be other things than Kongs that she would like better. None of my dogs has ever had any interest at all in Kongs, but they all dearly love any toys from WestPaw Designs. There are rubber chew toys that can be stuffed with kibble or treats and soft toys that are amazingly indestructible even for out German Shepherd dog who is a notorious destroyer of soft toys. As another thought maybe you should cover her crate so it feels more den like to her. Also maybe try putting an old t shirt with your scent on it in the crate with her as a comfort object.
Thank you very much for your advice, Catherine! We actually have a WestPaw topple, and she does like that - but only when she's out of her crate. We stuff it with freeze dried liver and tripe, both of which she adores. When it's in her crate, she ignores it for hours. As soon as she's out, she'll happily take it - but I try not to give it to her unless she's going in her crate.

Her crate is covered... leaving one side uncovered so she sees us, or covering it fully with a blanket, doesn't seem to be making any difference.

Now we have a new dilemma -- she doesn't stop peeing!

We took her out to potty, which she did... brought home what we thought was an empty puppy, and about 5 minutes later, she peed on a rug. While I was cleaning the rug, she squatted down 6 feet away from me and peed on the floor. So I dropped everything and took her out again, she pooped and peed outside. Brought her in, finished cleaning, sat down to play with her... and guess what? That's right, she peed again!

I just put her in her crate because I don't know if she'll just continue to pee every two minutes. And of course she's absolutely screaming in there right now, a good 15 minutes now. I plan to wait another 15 minutes, then try taking her outside to potty again.

At this moment, I'm seriously not sure how people do this. I've had puppies before but don't remember it being THIS hard to raise them. Feeling a little insane for having made this decision at the moment... guess I'm just the world's worst puppy parent. :bawling:

PLEASE tell me it gets easier?! And WHEN? I need a light at the end of the tunnel...

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Now we have a new dilemma -- she doesn't stop peeing!

We took her out to potty, which she did... brought home what we thought was an empty puppy, and about 5 minutes later, she peed on a rug. While I was cleaning the rug, she squatted down 6 feet away from me and peed on the floor. So I dropped everything and took her out again, she pooped and peed outside. Brought her in, finished cleaning, sat down to play with her... and guess what? That's right, she peed again!

I just put her in her crate because I don't know if she'll just continue to pee every two minutes. And of course she's absolutely screaming in there right now, a good 15 minutes now. I plan to wait another 15 minutes, then try taking her outside to potty again.

At this moment, I'm seriously not sure how people do this. I've had puppies before but don't remember it being THIS hard to raise them. Feeling a little insane for having made this decision at the moment... guess I'm just the world's worst puppy parent. :bawling:

PLEASE tell me it gets easier?! And WHEN? I need a light at the end of the tunnel...

That sounds like pretty excessive peeing. I'd take her to the vet if that frequency continues tomorrow.

Where there's light at the end of the tunnel...hmm, with Maizie it took 2 years, but she was much improved by age 1. For Frosty, after a few weeks, he became easier. Then he hit adolescence and is giving me some challenges with marking. But by the time he's neutered, he'll be perfect, I suspect. I think the first few weeks with a new spoo are the most challenging. Hang in there.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
I am going to make an outrageous suggestion - stop trying to crate train her for a while. I would set up a pen instead for when you need to leave her confined, with a pee pad and a comfy bed. It sounds as if the crate already has negative associations for her, which are getting worse rather than better. If it works for you, take her to bed with you - put a waterproof backed picnic blanket over the bed if you fear accidents, but I found puppy wiggles always woke me up in time. Once you have all caught up on sleep you can think about teaching her that the crate is a pleasant, safe place, using Crate Games or something similar.

If the constant peeing continues I would definitely get her checked by your vet - could it be down to drinking more after some particularly dry or salty food? Certain treats affect my dogs that way.

·
Premium Member
22,404 Posts
An ex pen might be a great solution fjm. When Javelin came home he was miserable in the crate. I was working on toughing it out with him with limited success and then I took Lily to a trial over the 2nd or 3rd weekend he was home and left him with Peeves and BF. BF couldn't deal with not sleeping since he works on Saturdays, so Friday night he took him out and put him on the bed (which is high enough that it functioned like a pen). Everybody had a good night's sleep. By the time I got home that was the routine and it stayed that way. Once Javvy was big enough to get off the bed himself he used to just go sleep on the cool tiles near the front door. He virtually never peed or pooed in the house though. He has always had great potty habits.

The crazy peeing could be from anxiety or it could be from something the vet should take a look at. Try the ex pen and see if that improves the crying and the peeing.

It will get better. As I say Javelin was a miraculously easy puppy (aside from failing the crate) from the get go and Lily and Peeves both got a lot easier after they hit about 9 - 10 months old (but remember we were dealing with 2 pups at the same time).

·
Registered
182 Posts
You all are like a lifeline to me right now, seriously!!

She was a little quieter in her crate last night than she's been previously, I was able to get a good 4 hours of sleep which honestly felt heavenly... lol! So, I'm hoping she may be starting to get used to it? Or she was just so exhausted that she decided to deal with it for a night to save up some energy for tonight? Time will tell!

Okay, so I basically have to prepare for a tough year, and hopefully it gets easier from there. Hopefully it flies by. There's something I don't normally want -- for time to go faster.... ha!!

We do have a lot of exciting things to anticipate. I am meeting with the VP of the local AKC on Tuesday, she breeds SPOOs and has agreed to help me teach this little girl to stack (we're considering Conformation, this is something her breeder is encouraging me to do), as well as provide me with some good references as far as local trainers go (she judges Obedience, so is a wealth of knowledge).

I'm looking forward to learning from her. Also hoping that with all of the support systems in place (between you guys, the local AKC branch, and the Poodle Club here I'm being encouraged to join), we may survive this puppyhood eventually. ;)

Thank you so much for being here!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm one of those who doesn't like puppies and avoids them. However when my big dog died and it became known that I was looking for a new one, someone gave me a 4 month old labrador saying either I take it or they would drop it at the local shelter which has a very high kill rate. I took the dog and should have turned around and instantly rehomed it and kept looking for the dog I really wanted but I'm not unfamiliar with the breed and I thought I could probably use her (I have ptsd and some physical limitations). Looking through the paperwork I received with her, I found that she had been in 4 homes before mine. Her 5th home in 4 months. She was, thankfully, potty trained.

Chicken has severe separation anxiety. Thanks to the work of one of her previous owners, attempting to crate train her to minimize damage to herself or the house is too traumatic a task for me to want to undertake for fear that she'll injure herself on her own crate. It took weeks for her to not freak out if I uncovered the wire crate I use as a rabbit pen. At a few days past a year old, she still counter surfs. At 75 pounds she easily reaches to the back of the sink to take dishes placed in it. Being stuck in the kitchen garbage can is a regular occurrence. She'll eat anything that isn't bolted down (food or otherwise). She has a habit of jumping up and licking my glasses, but only if I stand still in a certain room for more than about 15 seconds. That one popped up out of no where a couple months ago along with a resurgence of jumping on me (though not anyone else).

Just when I begin to regret keeping this big yellow ball of problem, my daughter comes home from her fathers and Chicken instantly forgets that anything else exists. They play in the mud and hose in the yard, delighting in leaving muddy footprints on the white tile throughout the house. My 4 year old 'reads' to the dog she swears to hate due to its rambunctious ways. They camp out on the couch and watch cartoons. Disliked food flows freely from child to dog whenever they think it might go unnoticed. They sleep side by side. All my thoughts of finding the dog yet another home, or even turning her into my service dog, vanish before the love and devotion the big, previously unwanted dog has for my young daughter.

·
Registered
87 Posts
When Maisy started doing zoomies around the living room for the first time! I grew up with a small poodle, so the sight of a big one zooming around my newly-renovated house got me pretty wide-eyed and nervous :afraid: What got me through was remembering all of the amazing moments I had with my heart dog, Missie, and knowing those same moments were just around the corner for me and my new dog, Maisy :love2:

Aww

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you everyone for this post. It has been amazingly reassuring!

Molly is our first Standard Poodle. Prior to this, for the past 12 years we have had four retired racing Greyhounds - so basically couch potatoes, and an English Springer Spaniel for 14 years before that.

We got Molly when she was 4.5 months old, and she is now 7.5 months. It has been 26 years since we have had a puppy, and retired racing Greyhounds come pretty much 'pre-trained'. So I would really appreciate it if you all could tell me if Molly is on track, or if the she is not.

Positives:

Molly has slept in her crate at night, all night long, since the day we got her. She wakes up around 6:30 am to go potty, but then will snuggle in bed with me until 7:00 or 7:30.

Molly has been happy in her crate when we go out since the beginning. We are up to being able to leave her for 6.5 hours if necessary. No accidents.

Molly is potty trained. She hasn't had an accident in the house since the day my one gallon jug of Urine Off arrived from Amazon! Seriously, she has been trained since about 6.5 months. She stands in front of us and barks and barks and barks when she has to go out. Wish she would learn to use the bells at the door, but this gets the message across.

She eats like a champ. Waits patiently outside the laundry room door while I fill her food bowl, then when invited in gets right down to eating. This is a new skill our trainer taught us.

Molly waits at all doors for us to exit/enter first and then invite her out/in. This is a new skill that she has just learned.

She can sit on command and drop. She can wait a short time.

She will now sit quietly behind the gate in the laundry room (opens right into our kitchen) when people arrive. She used to bounce like a pogo stick and bark up a storm, so this is a new behavior we have been working on.

She can walk nicely on a loose leash when wearing a training collar.

So all in all Molly is doing pretty well on these skills. Since Central Florida is having a major breakout of Canine Influenza, her first session of Obedience Classes were cancelled. We hired a dog behaviour trainer to come and give us a couple of lessons in the meantime, and she has pretty much learned the door and other behaviors. However .....

Negative Behaviors:

Biting. We are so over being used as a chew stick! We give her objects to chew, toys to play with, puzzles to solve, and yet she still gets us with her teeth. It is much better than it used to be, but should this behavior have ended by now? She doesn't draw blood or anything, and it is never ever malicious, more raking her teeth over our hands and arms.

Stealing. Socks, paper - pretty much anything she can get her mouth on. Her favorite is the Grandbaby's binkie! We try to diligently keep everything out of her reach but sometimes we fail.

Chasing. When caught stealing - she runs through the house with her prize. The tactics our trainer has taught us have been helpful, and we get her to drop her prize, but it is still frustrating.

Lizard catching. She is scary fast! She catches them and then carries them around in her mouth. Doesn't seem to want to eat or even play with them - just to 'have' them. Again, the trainer has given us tactics to get her to drop them eventually, but sometimes not fast enough for the lizard. It bothers me greatly that she is hurting another being - even if it is natural.

Barking. Sometimes, especially in the evening, she just stands there and barks at us. She doesn't have to go potty, she has water, toys, things to chew. We try to ignore her, holding pillows in front of our faces so she can't see us helps most times and she eventually stops. Often we just remove her from the family room if she can't behave.

So .... my question for all of you experienced Standard Poodle people - IS MOLLY NORMAL? Are these behaviors - good and bad - typical and appropriate for a 7.5 month old puppy? If these are just normal behavioural stages of development, then no problem, we will get through it! If these are behaviors that are worrisome, then we will need to address them right away.
Thankfully our local obedience school is resuming lessons at the beginning of August, so Molly will start her basic obedience classes then.

Thank you for all your opinions. Sorry this has been so long! We just want to help Molly to be the very best pet that she can be.

Carol Ann.

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
She sounds pretty normal to me, cello56, but I do have a few questions. How much exercise does she get, both physical and mental? And how long do you leave her during the day? The barking in the evening in particular sounds as if it could be due to boredom - "Get up and entertain me!". Poodles need much more exercise and stimulation than the average greyhound - they really need to work their brains as well as their bodies. If you have not already done so I would build several sessions of fun training games into your daily routine, as well as mentally stimulating sniff walks, scent games, etc, etc.

161 - 180 of 218 Posts