Poodle Forum banner

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
help with puppy sleeping at night

Our puppy is about to turn 14 weeks and he's getting us up quite a bit at night to be taken out. every hour or two and usually one longer stretch that is usually only 4 hours or 5 if we are lucky. Does this sound normal? We are so tired!

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
You may get more responses if you start a new thread, Steph. 14 weeks is still very young, but most pups manage from late night to early morning with just one break, or even none, provided nothing happens to wake them up. As soon as they are awake they tend to need to go. And, of course, it can then become a bit of a habit. Assuming there is nothing physically wrong (if he is also peeing very frequently during the day or has diarrhoea, you need to get him checked by the vet) I would try to work out what might be waking him and whether there is anything you can do to help him sleep through. Think about central heating boiler, noises outside, lights that come on early in the morning, etc, etc. I took my pups to bed with me - they slept through very quickly!

Reactions: Stephjames512

·
Premium Member
22,961 Posts
Our GSD did an excellent job training BF to take him out many times at night when he was young. At the slightest whimper BF would jump out of bed and take him out. He often din't relieve himself but took a trot around the yard. I always tried to get him to wait to see if there would be a persistent ask over 3-5 minutes, but that smart boy Peeves just won on that disagreement over and over.

Reactions: doditwo and Mfmst

·
Registered
248 Posts
That does seem like a lot to go out in the night at 14 weeks - our puppy at 10 weeks had me up once in the night a few times the first few days we got her home but was all done with that by 11 weeks. That may be abnornal but that many times a night seems maybe something else is bugging puppy?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Does he get to run around and play when you take him outside? Nighttime trips should be all business. Don't interact with him at all except to fasten the leash. Outside just stand still until he does his business and then back inside. These trips should be boring for him. If he gets attention or play that may be what he's waking you up for.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I agree that by this age, he should be sleeping through the night. My puppies were a little uneasy the first few nights, so when they whined/barked, I took them out on leash and brought them right back to their crate without any interaction after they had a chance to potty. After that, they slept from about 10pm to 6am consistently. After the pup has had a chance to potty, I would ignore the barking. Yes, they will test you and you have to have strong willpower!

·
Registered
12,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Trouble is you risk ignoring the times he really needs to go, as well as the times he is barking for company. I would try having him sleep somewhere close to you, so that you can settle him if he wakes in the night with a word and a touch. If he doesn't settle, then up, out on a leash, no fuss or fun and games, and straight back to bed. A heartbeat toy might help, as might covering the crate.

·
Registered
158 Posts
minor progress :)

Well, we put up with quite a bit of barking last night and reduced it to taking puppy out only once in the night- so he slept in the crate for two 4 hour periods. Hopefully we can stick with this for at least a week and then try to go longer.

·
Registered
158 Posts
update

It turns out there WAS something wrong with Gio, health-wise, to need to poop and go out so often overnight. It turns out that he has hookworms- ew! And the vet told me they left me a voicemail 10 days ago about it!! but I didnt get any voicemail! I only found out he had it by calling them this morning to see if he could be seen due to off and on loose stool. Ugh. :( I'm pretty upset about the lack of effective communication and am contemplating switching vet offices- am I being too rash? thanks for all the help with our issue. Poor little Gio.

·
Premium Member
22,961 Posts
Aww poor Gio and poor you! Hookworms are readily treated though. I hope you figure things out with the vet.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hookworms and poor communication..... hmm, I might also consider looking for a vet that makes sure for important things they persist until they contact you. My vet does both phone call and email.

Oh dear, hopefully your little one went potty pretty much in the same place or they could be spread all over. Sending good luck wishes in getting this resolved quickly.

Does anyone know if they can spread to humans?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I switched vets, I was just too upset about the situation as well as a few other things, so hopefully we will have a better experience going forward. It has been freezing here and the larvae are killed in freezing temps so that's lucky regarding the poop remnants in our yard. Gio is taking medicine for 3 days to kill any adult worms. Yuck! Also, yes humans can get hookworms- it is usually through soil or sand that has the worms and people walking barefoot I believe. Not a pleasant situation. We have to wipe his paws and his little butt everytime he comes in from outside.

Also Gio has been carrying on loudly and for very long periods of time at night, which we are "ignoring" (once he has eliminated of course). He only stays quiet for about 4 hours at most, at a time. It just seems outside the realm of normal and I'm going to work on re-acclimating him to his crate. Still tired over here.

·
Premium Member
22,961 Posts
Yes freezing weather will take care of the juveniles in the poo and soil. But yes people can get hookworms too, barefoot on contaminated soil not advisable when soil is contaminated. It sounds like you will have things all for the good pretty quickly.

Reactions: Stephjames512

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Do you know for sure what kind of hookworms they are?

I just found this:
"Freezing temperatures will kill Ancylostoma species eggs but Uncinaria species eggs are hardier and can survive in lower temperatures. Hookworm larvae cannot persist in the environment long term like other intestinal parasites can. Under ideal conditions they can survive in the soil for a few months."

https://www.cgvet.com/sites/site-4463/documents/parasites/internal/hookworms.pdf

·
Premium Member
22,961 Posts
kontiki, I believe Ancylostoma are much more likely.

Reactions: kontiki

·
Premium Member
22,961 Posts
More likely, yes, but since the others are much more resistant to treatment, if it were my dog I would want to know they had been tested for sure :)

Of course! I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

201 - 220 of 225 Posts