Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a poodle havanese mix but she definitely favors the poodle more. She’s 10 weeks today and weighs 4.2 lbs. is that normal for a miniature poodle or could she be a toy poodle? My husband surprised me with her as a bday gift and it just says poodle on her paperwork so I don’t have much background. I plan to call next week to get some info on her father that was the poodle. Any comments would be helpful!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,017 Posts
Cutie pie.

It's always hard to say with a mix. A Havanese can weigh much less than a miniature poodle, so her small size could even be the Hav influence. According to puppychart.com, she's tracking to weigh 10.5 lbs at maturity.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cutie pie.

It's always hard to say with a mix. A Havanese can weigh much less than a miniature poodle, so her small size could even be the Hav influence. According to puppychart.com, she's tracking to weigh 10.5 lbs at maturity.
Thank you so much for your fast reply! I can handle 10.5 lbs. I have a Havanese as well and he’s 4 months and 13 lbs, so he’s on the bigger side which makes her seem even smaller!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cutie pie.

Do you think she is a toy? I’m not even sure what kind of poodle is typically mixed with a Havanese...

·
Premium Member
10,015 Posts
A neighbor of mine had the first Havanese I had ever seen, and he was quite portable. But larger boned than a mini.
“Fidel”was adorable and very spoiled:) Didn’t the breeder tell you the poodle size cross? She’s so cute, but maybe trim around her eyes so we can see how adorable she is

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
This is our neighbors Havapoo. She's about 15lbs, no idea exactly how tall she is at the shoulder, which is the determiner for poodle varieties.
My boys are miniature poodles. You can only see my smaller light boy easily. He's about 12.5lb. Millie is taller than Remo, and I think he's about 12-13".

The AKC breed standard for Havanese is:
  • Height: 8.5-11.5 inches
  • Weight: 7-13 pounds
  • Life Expectancy: 14-16 years
  • Group: Toy Group
Given that info, I'd guess that my neighbor's girl, Millie, had a miniature poodle dam and a havanese sire to get as big as she has.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is our neighbors Havapoo. She's about 15lbs, no idea exactly how tall she is at the shoulder, which is the determiner for poodle varieties.
My boys are miniature poodles. You can only see my smaller light boy easily. He's about 12.5lb. Millie is taller than Remo, and I think he's about 12-13".
View attachment 472328

The AKC breed standard for Havanese is:
  • Height: 8.5-11.5 inches
  • Weight: 7-13 pounds
  • Life Expectancy: 14-16 years
  • Group: Toy Group
Given that info, I'd guess that my neighbor. Millie had a miniature poodle dam and a havanese sire to get as big as she has.
Thank you for the info!!! Your Minature Poodles are absolutely adorable! Is your neighbors Havapoo on the far right? How old is it? I do know that she has the poodle sire and Havanese dam, I’m not sure if that will make a difference in her size. I’m going to contact the breeder this week since my husband had all the contact. She was a gift. I’d be happy if she ended up being 15 lbs but I have a feeling she might top off at 10lbs. She goes to the vet on 1/7 for shots so I’m hoping she puts on some more weight by then. She’s also not the greatest eater either. 🙄

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A neighbor of mine had the first Havanese I had ever seen, and he was quite portable. But larger boned than a mini.
“Fidel”was adorable and very spoiled:) Didn’t the breeder tell you the poodle size cross? She’s so cute, but maybe trim around her eyes so we can see how adorable she is
Thank you for the reply! She for sure needs a trim but I have to wait until she’s vaccinated before the groomer will take her. So she will look like a little mop for a bit. I don’t have any breeder info aside from that her father is the poodle and mother Havanese. Of course the poodle size was not specific. I’m going to make some phone calls this week.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
I would think that, in order to minimize the chances of losing the dam to a whelping issue, the breeder would select a sire that's the same size or smaller than her. But who knows. Breeders and naughty dogs in heat don't always make the same choices I would.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Thank you for the info!!! Your Minature Poodles are absolutely adorable! Is your neighbors Havapoo on the far right? How old is it?
Yes, Millie is the one on the right. She's around 4y old.
As a comparison, my bigger mpoo boy was 4lb at 10w 4d with his adult weight now about 14lb and his height about 13.5 to 14" at the shoulder. Both my boys grew bigger than their poodle parents by 1-2 inches and several pounds.

Reactions: 123819

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would think that, in order to minimize the chances of losing the dam to a whelping issue, the breeder would select a sire that's the same size or smaller than her. But who knows. Breeders and naughty dogs in heat don't always make the same choices I would.
I just got info from the breeder, it looks like Daisy is Havanese min poodle, so the dam was the Havanese weighing 10 lbs and the sir was the poodle weighing in at 12 lbs. So good chance my tiny Daisy might make it to 10lbs!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts