Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading to "puppy proof" my apartment, but I don't really know how to do this. I'll be honest, I'm kind of a messy person. My bedroom floor is usually covered with clothes, magazines and shoes ha. I plan on cleaning up before she gets here I just don't see my messy habits disappearing. I don't know if this is what they mean. I have a lot of crap under my bed too. I don't even know what's under there, honestly, just stuff. Should I not have anything there? My main concern is electrical cords. I have cords in my room obviously for the tv, computer and so forth. I can't get rid of them. My friends say their dogs never had any interest in the cords, but I'm worried about her trying to chew them. I can't exactly hide them. What should I do about that? And this isn't really puppy proofing, but I thought of this earlier. Can I nap with her on my bed? It isn't a super high bed by any means, but with her being so small I'm worried about her trying to jump off while I'm sleeping and it possibly resulting in an injury. I like to sleep. A lot. Ha so I was hoping we'd do a lot of that together.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi Pinky,
Congrats on your new puppy. Yes you should puppy proof your apartment. It will be important to keep your apartment floor clean, especially during the potty training stage - anything on the floor can be peed on. I would take these few days before your puppy comes and clean out under your bed, ect, as anything small could be a choking hazard, and anything you don't want chewed on should be kept out of her range. As for her being on the bed, I would add a ramp/or puppy steps of some sort to train to use to get on and off the bed without risk of injury. It is like having a human toddler, anything on the floor goes right into the mouth.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Anything you don't want chewed on, destroyed or otherwise should be put up an away. I learned the very, very hard way, puppies like expensive shoes and purses. I never cried so hard as I did coming home to find a $200 pair of shoes completely destroyed by a puppy. Take the time to clean up and find a good place up and away for your things.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
You will soon get the hang of putting everything out of reach when she has chewed up your phone, your favourite shoes, and everything else she can grab, and peed on the clothes you planned to wear next day! Seriously though, you need to lie down on the floor, and look at everything from a puppy's viewpoint. Anything she can bite, she probably will. If you can, put some ducting or other protection around the wires (makes them look a lot tidier, too) - if that is impossible, get a bitter apple or similar spray, and use it. The only cable of mine that ever got badly chewed was my Mac power cable, which did the pup no harm, but was very, very expensive to replace. Watch out for any tablets or other medicines you may have around - puppies love to chew on the cards they come in. In fact mine sometimes seemed to have a death wish - razors, scissors, pin cushions, glass - they made a beeline for whatever in the room was most dangerous! Don't put your handbag (purse) down anywhere she can reach, or she will empty that, too. Reckon on her being able to climb fairly quickly - Sophy has always climbed like a squirrel - I have just had take clothes peg away from her that I was sure was out of reach ... If you do this in every room, and then arrange a couple of chairs to dump stuff on out of her reach, you should be reasonably safe. Once she is past the chewing stage you can revert to normal.

While you are thinking about puppy proofing, think about the things that are poisonous to dogs, as well. Even a very tiny amount of chocolate or cocoa can be very dangerous to such a small dog - other things to watch out for are raisins, grapes, onions, and, of course, household cleaners, etc. I have nearly stopped having chocolate in the house - my family and visitors never remembered to put it out of reach, and I got too stressed grabbing it just before the dogs did.

A puppy ramp is a good idea - and I have put pillows and cushions, or even a rolled up quilt, around the bed in case a small pup fell off (I like to sleep a lot, too!).

·
Registered
997 Posts
Also be aware that sugarless chewing gum (w xylitol) is poisonous to dogs. One of many reasons to keep your purse out of reach. Puppies also love cell phones (the more expensive the better) and eyeglasses (ditto).

Do your best to puppy proof. Then put puppy in a crate or puppy pen when you can't watch her like a hawk. I lost a cell phone (fortunately cheap) to a foster dog while I was in the shower... Trust me--the puppy will figure out quickly that shower time is a great opportunity to find out how tasty those Jimmy Choos are...

Another favorite trick is to tether the pup to you so she can never be farther than a few feet from you. It helps with housetraining because she can't wander off to pee.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
When are they past the chewing stage? When they're done teething?
LOL, I wish! Maybe for some dogs, but not if they are chewers.

My mini is 8 months old, way, way past teething, but he is still a chewer (he loves to chew and gnaw on things) and he will chew anything he can get into his mouth. I have to be very, very careful not to leave anything where he can get it. He has lots of chew toys and he goes through them quickly.

The only thing of mine he has destroyed (so far) was a pair of my sandals (my favorite, of course). I was wearing them as I sat on the couch and I slipped them off, but still had them near my feet. Jager was chewing on one of his toys a few feet away. I didn't pay attention and at some point he quietly switched over from his toy to my shoe and destroyed it in less than 10 minutes.

The key is, leave nothing on the floor and provide lots of chew toys.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
don't forget too- clothes and magazines on the floor = perfect place to piddle....

if you need to get a baby gate so you can keep x room clean for pup (i do the living room since that's where i'm at the most) puppy is always in a kennel sleeping if im in my bedroom

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stupid question..is there a difference between a crate and a kennel? She's arriving in a crate and I figured that was a kennel..that's where I plan on keeping her overnight and whenever I'm not watching her. Once I leave for school I plan on putting her in a playpen so she has a bit more room, but my friends said they just leave their pups in the kennel all day while they're at work and they're fine but that seems kinda mean to me. And they have huge dogs that probably have better bladder control than my little toy poodle. And their dogs only eat once a day.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Stupid question..is there a difference between a crate and a kennel? She's arriving in a crate and I figured that was a kennel..that's where I plan on keeping her overnight and whenever I'm not watching her. Once I leave for school I plan on putting her in a playpen so she has a bit more room, but my friends said they just leave their pups in the kennel all day while they're at work and they're fine but that seems kinda mean to me. And they have huge dogs that probably have better bladder control than my little toy poodle. And their dogs only eat once a day.
Yes, a kennel and crate are the same thing. Most people just call them crates. She can sleep in the crate overnight, but you are right that she can't stay in the crate all day. A pen is a good idea, just be sure she can't get out.

Also, young toy breed puppies have to eat several times a day to prevent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I would leave food with her while you are away or have someone come to feed her during the day. It would also be good if you could come home halfway through the day and play with her and cuddle with her, or if a friend or neighbor could do this for you.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I plan on putting her on scheduled feedings but whenever I'm leaving her for more than 3 hours I will leave food for her. At last finally something I'm doing right..my other thread is making me feel like an incompetent a hole ha.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Where did you get this Poodle? Are you getting any sort of help or advice from your breeder?

Do you know that a Toy Poodle puppy should probably eat 4 small meals a day? Toy Poodles, especially the micro-Toys, are susceptible to hypoglycemia. They need to eat multiple meals a day to keep their blood sugar up. If they do get hypoglycemic, they can have seizures. Do you have a plan for feeding this many times a day?

It is a bummer when a puppy chews stuff up or when it pees on a favorite shirt because that shirt is left on the ground. It gets way more serious when the stuff you leave out becomes a danger to the dog. How do you feel about spending $2000 on surgery to remove impacted paper from the magazine that the puppy shredded and swallowed?

Please be very careful about having a puppy on the bed with you. I have seen numerous Toy Poodles break legs from jumping off of beds and couches.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Yes, I plan on putting her on scheduled feedings but whenever I'm leaving her for more than 3 hours I will leave food for her. At last finally something I'm doing right..my other thread is making me feel like an incompetent a hole ha.
Pinky, it can be hard for first-time dog owners. Just always keep the dog's needs at a high priority, especially while she's so young and you will do fine. You will have to give a lot up, going out as much, spending money on things you want when your dog needs vet care or grooming... but dogs give a lot back.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
I think you are wise to plan on giving her a bit more freedom in a pen if you have to be away for more than a few hours. If you can arrange for someone to come in and check up on her during the day (or get back yourself) that would also be great. If you put some of her daily food into puppy kongs and leave them with her it will give her something to occupy her time while you are away. Ideally you should not leave a young puppy on her own for more than three or four hours - as PaddleAddict says, she will need to have food and water available if you are gone for more than a couple of hours, and preferably someone to play with. Big pups are not the same - they don't have the same rapid blood sugar drop and develop bladder control at a much younger age. I would feed your baby 4 times a day when you first get her, and move to 3 times a day by the time she is 10 - 12 weeks. I still feed mine twice a day as adults - they get huge pleasure from meals, so why limit them to only one meal a day?!

Sounds to me as if you are learning fast - this is going to be one lucky puppy!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OMG! I don't think I'll put her on my bed then. I don't trust myself not to fall asleep and have her jump off. Unbeknownst to me at the time of purchase I got her from a puppy mill it seems :( I don't have any of the breeder's info yet. Supposedly it'll come with the puppy on Tuesday. I don't know what a micro-toy is, as far as I know she's just a toy poodle. I was going to feed her 3 times a day. I haven't really figured out when I'll be feeding her. I guess I should start figuring that out.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
OK stop! Did this puppy come from a brokerage web site? One of those web sites that shows lots of puppies and you just pick one?

Did you know that Toy Poodles can have a genetic condition that causes juvenile blindness? Has this puppy's parents been tested for the gene that causes this problem? You have to find out because if your puppy ends up with two copies of the gene, it will go blind. If the broker can not give you evidence of testing, cancel your payment and don't take possession of the puppy.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got her from purebredbreeders.com They say their puppies are the best but after I bought her I came on here for advice and everyone on here says they're a puppy mill...

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Sister. Call your credit card company. You have not taken possession of the puppy. A long time ago I used to work in banking and I know there are such things as "rights of rescission". Tell your credit card company that you have been railroaded by the broker. Tell them to cancel payment. Immediately!

Find yourself a local breeder who:

1. TESTS!
2. Who can be a mentor to you.

We can help you find a local breeder.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts