Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We got our spoo puppy yesterday. She is 7.5 weeks old. She was eating Purina Large breed puppy food and I would like to switch her to Fromm Puppy Gold. She has not eaten since yesterday morning and I am sure she threw all of that up on the car ride. She has peed and pooped, but she is not eating. I offered her food to her yesterday and she wouldn't eat. I soaked it this morning to see if that would interest her. I also offered the Fromm to her a few minutes ago and she didn't eat. Do I just wait it out and figure she will eat when she is hungry enough or do I need to offer canned food mixed with the kibble?

Also, I picked up the Fromm puppy instead of the Fromm large breed puppy gold. Does she have to be on the large breed or can I switch her after this bag?

Thanks!

Kim

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I wouldn't do canned food personally.. ever. I'm not a fan of the stuff at all.

If she doesn't eat the food after so long, just take it away for some time, she wont starve herself. :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Our experience with canned food is.. they started giving it to the cat, and now it's like kitty crack for him and if they don't give it to him in the morning.. well, you better just leave the house because he'll harrass you, start pulling books off shelves, knocking plants down, each time looking at you, if you look back, he'll meow.

Such a brat!

Though, they give like =/ ol'roy to the sausage dog, I've tried to educate them (parents) but it's a futile sport.

But don't worry, your pup will eat with time. :) Are you mixing her food 50/50 with the old food?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I also do not like canned dog food. Most contain water and very little nutrition unless you spend on very good brank name like Wellness 95% beef or chicken or Salmon. Then you are looking at a very high quality canned food. It is also quite expensive here in Canada over $3.00 per can.
I LOVE Fromm dog food. Have been using it for years with much success with both my pets and show dogs. I do NOT never would feed my puppies PUPPY food. It is too high in protein and can cause structural (problems) according to many knowledgeable breeders as well as Pat Hastings whose seminars clearly show that feeding a large breed puppy (and poodles are considered a med to large breed) puppy food will result in panosteitis (growth pains) and structural defects. I have been feeding both Cole and Lola the two I bred recently only Fromm Salmon A La Veggies Adult food and they are both OFA Hips Excellent. I used to feed puppy food and had some owner complain that their puppy has panosteitis. After seeing tapes of what puppy food can cause to a med to lg. breed I stopped puppy food. I wean my puppies on the same food that my adults are on.
If you see that your puppy refuses to eat for more than two days, I would not take it lightely. A 7.5 wks. old puppy is in its growth stage as such you should make sure that he does not loose weight or not gain .
I would check a few things before since you say he stopped eating.
I would do a stool check take it to your vet to see if puppy has worms.
Take your pup's temperature at home. easy to do. Dog's temp. is between 100-101 that is normal for canines (humans is much lower).
Introduce your puppy to some supplemented food. Boil an egg and mash it into their kibble, cook some lean ground beef and add to it some soup mix (no salt or MSG) to give it some taste and also cook some legumes such as lentils or split green peas and incorporate into the boiled minced beef and ad cooked brown rice and put 2 heaping TBSP on the puppies food and see if she/he will eat it.
There is also a reason for a puppy not eating their food is because they are going through painful teething process this may also be exacerbating lack of apetite.. Still I would not leave a puppy not eating, I would start by feeding it some home cooked stuff added to their kibble and go from there.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Kim sorry also forgot to mention that you should consider if you only got this puppy two days ago that she needs maybe to go through an adjusting period to feel comfortable in your home.. so that may also be a reason for her not wanting to eat. just a thought.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
not unusual for pups to go off their food for a few days- if she's still pooping she's eating something. . .

I would try her original brand first- and then once she's eating- switch over slowly to not upset the pups tummy

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Canned food is not only disgusting, it is expensive when you realize that you are paying for mostly filler. Buy real meat on sale and use that to mix into your dog's kibble.

Your puppy probably is off her feed a bit with the transition to a new home. Don't worry, she won't starve to death, but you do want to encourage good eating habits from the beginning.

If she has been on Purina, you have to wean her off of this slowly or your puppy will get diarrhea. Mix a bit of the new kibble into the Purina and over the course of 4-5 days transition her to the new food. Mix in some cooked hamburger and a bit of cottage cheese. I don't soak kibble.

Feed her in a quiet area with few distractions. Many people dogs in their crates. Leave her food down for 15 minutes and then remove it. A puppy this age needs to be fed 3Xs a day. I don't feed after 6:00p.m. I feel like this gives a puppy a chance to digest and eliminate before bedtime.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fluffyspoos--actually I just have the Fromm Puppy Gold in the bowl now and she actually ate a couple of pieces. I guess I need to add some of the Purina stuff back in.

Whitepoodles--I have heard so many mixed things about the protein. The Fromm puppy food gold has 27% protein. The Fromm 4 star all stages is 24%with the exception of the salmon which is 25%. You suggest that I switch to the all stages after I finish this bag? I believe the puppy large breed by Fromm is 26%. I thought they were pretty close in percentages that it wouldn't make that big of a difference. Of course, I am just learning.:)

Also, we just got her yesterday and I was thinking that maybe she just needed an adjustment period also. She is very playful, active and seems fine in all other ways. I have her scheduled for a vet appt. tomorrow at 12:30 so I can see what she suggests also if she still isn't eating.

Kim

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks neVar and cbrand.

cbrand--I may try to feed her in the crate for 15 minutes and see how that works. I just don't want her to start expecting to eat in her crate. I will definitely not feed her later than 6pm and I also read that someone said not to give water after 7pm. True?

Kim

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
When bella came she had NO appetite- didn't eat anything the first meal- then picked at hte next couple.

fourty eight hours later? She's running and leaping off dogs to get to the food (i feed in the crates- she's convinced the big crate is hers- it has the most food you know ) She had lost some weight in that short period of time but packed it back on right away. She was still pooping and peeing so i never worried.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm, cbrand, that is a good question about crate feeding. I guess I just associate the crate with the sleeping place. HaHa! I guess it really would be okay to eat in there.

neVar---We named our puppy Bella too!

Crate question. I have a 42" crate that I am using a divider with. With the divider the diminsions are 13" x 28". It is narrow, but she still has room to turn around. My concern is that sometimes when she sleeps she sleeps with her legs straightout behind her. When she does that she stretches the entire 28". Should I give her more space or leave it alone till she grows more? If I gave her more room the crate space would jump to 28" x 30" (to allow extra stretch out room).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had 2 other questions. Can I put about a tablespoon of Jif creamy all natural peanut butter in her puppy Kong? I didn't know at what age they could start having p-butter.

Also, I notice when she is sleeping that her breathing is pretty fast. Is this normal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
[Whitepoodles--I have heard so many mixed things about the protein. The Fromm puppy food gold has 27% protein. The Fromm 4 star all stages is 24%with the exception of the salmon which is 25%. You suggest that I switch to the all stages after I finish this bag? I believe the puppy large breed by Fromm is 26%. I thought they were pretty close in percentages that it wouldn't make that big of a difference. Of course, I am just learning.:)

Kim: Both are close to the same percentages protein/fat wise, but the quality is not the same if you read most of the ingredients. The 4 star is better than the regular Fromm (gold and black colored bags) . You can within the same 4 star choices of duck/sw. potatoe, pork/applesauce, etc... alternate giving your puppythe four varieties at different times. The puppy will not have an upset stomach as you are mixing and matching food from the same company and same brand (four stars). I also do this for my dogs and they have a variety to eat which is the best for them. But pls. before totally switching over one post here is right when they say you should do it gradually.. over a week period.
Not all canned food is necessarily "disgusting" . While I admit that most are "disgusting", I did test at a special food lab the contents of the Wellness 95% beef/salmon can and it was confirmed to me that the can indeed contains what it professes to on the label. Also canned food should never be used as a main meal, but only as an appetite booster and to entice an otherwise finniky dog to eat his/her daily portion. As a general rule I cook for my dogs a combination of minced lean beef, fish, lamb (I alternate) and add to it a combination of grated (in a food processor) green leaf veggies , root veggies and also green lentils and green split peas (soaked the night before and cooked when softer).. I put all this together and freeze the entire batch in separate containers and take out of freezer as per need. My dogs get 2 heaping TBSP fulls with each meal, a.m. and p.m They never refuse their food.
IF I have a finniky eater and want to put weight on my dogs either pets or for the show I prepare and freeze what is called SATIN BALLS (to fatten dogs). I can send you this recipe if you wish. The secret to establishing good eating patterns for a dog is diversity of food within the same brand as well as timing. Dogs are creatures of habit and they know when feeding time is. Dont leave a bowl of food down on the floor for them to pick at. Feed a.m. and pm and nothing in between. I have had some finniky eaters who drove me up a wall with worry but I have learnt that they are only pushing my soft buttons, :)) and so I have learnt to beat them at their game :)
Dont worry about asking this is what the forum is all about. When I purchased my first show poodle I chewed on the breeder's ear for many months until I was able to finally break the umbilical cord and go on my own.

Also, we just got her yesterday and I was thinking that maybe she just needed an adjustment period also. She is very playful, active and seems fine in all other ways. I have her scheduled for a vet appt. tomorrow at 12:30 so I can see what she suggests also if she still isn't eating.

It is great to hear... maybe there is nothing really to worry about. Maybe it is only an adjustment to her new home that she needs, however my tips were given to you just in case she continuously refuses to eat. Then I would worry if she refuses to eat more than 2-3 days.. that is not common, at least not from my experiences. GOOD LUCK. let us know how she does

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Also, I notice when she is sleeping that her breathing is pretty fast. Is this normal?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

Kim:
Young puppies' heart rate is much faster than adult dogs.
When I put the sthetoscope on my prego bitch's abdomen to listen to the pups' heartbeats, what you hear is a very very fast beat ticking like a rapid swiss clock. Once they grow older and mature their heart rate slows down.
The sound of a newborn puppy's heart beat..is music to the ears....:)

Re: crate: sure that her legs do not exit in between the cage gague or she can sprain them if she gets up and makes a wrong move. I dont put a divider in my puppy cages.. I get a 36 inche in length cage initially, then graduate the pup to a 42 " length as they grow. At 5.5 mos. of age my puppies are all clean in the house and no longer chew (if ever. I really dont have chewers).

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Definitely feed large breed puppy instead of regular puppy. Large breed puppy has the correct proportions of calcium and phosphorus and will help slow your puppy's growth (which is important for large dogs).

As other people said, she is probably not eating because of the adjustment to her new home. I bet she will start eating once she feels more settled in.

This is how you start feeding her the new food. Very, very, very slowly. Days 1-4 = 25% new food, 75% old food. Days 5-8=50% new, 50% old. Days 9-12 = 75% new, 25% old, Etc.

I would also recommend that you WAIT to switch her food until she has settled in. A switch in food AND adjusting to a new home could be too stressful and stress can contribute to diarrhea.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chocolate Millie--the phosphorus (1.0) and the calcium (1.3) are the same for both Fromm Puppy Gold and Fromm Puppy Large Breed Gold. Do those ratios sound good?

whitepoodles--Thanks for the information on the breathing, food, and crates.

Any thoughts about whether or not I can put the p-butter in her Kong.

She has eaten some this evening.

I put her in her crate a little while ago to see how she would do without us being in there. She whined for a little while and I just checked and she is sleeping. Yay!

Kim

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Chocolate Millie--the phosphorus (1.0) and the calcium (1.3) are the same for both Fromm Puppy Gold and Fromm Puppy Large Breed Gold. Do those ratios sound good?

whitepoodles--Thanks for the information on the breathing, food, and crates.

Any thoughts about whether or not I can put the p-butter in her Kong.

She has eaten some this evening.

I put her in her crate a little while ago to see how she would do without us being in there. She whined for a little while and I just checked and she is sleeping. Yay!

Kim
I gave Millie peanut butter when I got her at 10 weeks! Just put a spoonful or however much - it probably doesn't matter!

Calcium and phosphorus - If they are the same then I guess it doesn't matter? I am not a vet so I don't know ha ha, I just know that when Millie turned 4 months my vet told me regular puppy food often has too high of calcium and phosphorus. I wouldn't worry about it, from what I hear Fromm's is a wonderful food!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
poof had wellness for puppy til that bag was gone and has been on adult ration since then. she's had several different premium foods and currently is on wellness.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts