Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theo, a minipoo is 14 weeks. I’m feeding him 4 times a day, breakfast, lunch, supper and evening snack (Kong).

My adult minipoo is fed breakfast, mid afternoon and evening snack (kong).

What criteria did you use to cut off that ext meal? Was it weight/size of dog? Age? Convenience?

·
Premium Member
13,225 Posts
I reduced the number of meals when my toys were 5 or 6 months, as I recall. Old enough that their tummies were big enough to keep them going for longer.

Reactions: Liz and Skylar

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fjm. That sounds like a reasonable age. Growth spurts are slowing down as they get closer to adulthood too.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WtP, that’s what I was wondering, maybe the dog themselves decide.

Reactions: WinnieThePoodle

·
Registered
183 Posts
WtP, that’s what I was wondering, maybe the dog themselves decide.
I had been thinking about what to do for the best at the time and she just stopped eating breakfast so it seemed natural to just cut it out. I only ever give her a little bit of breakfast if for any reason she didn't eat her dinner the night before just incase she is a bit hungry but she doesn't always want it so I give it to her later. It used to worry me when she left her meals but she knows when she is hungry and at last weigh in was 9.9kg so she isn't wasting away.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, I completely understand the worry about making sure they are fed when in reality they are well fed and just moderating their diet to stay healthy.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
As the boys turned 6m we took them and ourselves on a trip. That seemed as good a time as any to switch to two meals, with the light bedtime snacky.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rose n Poos, ironically we have a trip planned when Theo will be 6 months, so maybe that will be a good time to switch with all the new distractions

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
It was partly practicality lol. It seemed easier to try to manage 2 meals when everybody's schedules were already a bit off. Our vet felt 6m was fine too.
As it turned out, Remo was quite off his feed while oot but fine otherwise. Even ChowHound, errr, Neo, was off a bit on his food.
Neo also displayed a habit of pooping upon entrance to a hotel room at least a couple of times, so lesson learned there too :).

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Neo also displayed a habit of pooping upon entrance to a hotel room at least a couple of times, so lesson learned there too :).
oh no 🤦‍♀️. We’ll be staying with my daughter so I hope we don’t see any naughty behavior. But I will be keeping him tethered to me and will treat him like a younger puppy in the potty trained department to avoid issues.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have large dogs so not quite the same, don't have to worry about low blood sugar and such.
But I started by offering half the daily portion at breakfast, and then whatever was left was lunch.
Although I rarely actually fed it as a meal, but used it over the day for training/management.
It just worked out well since less management was needed as he got older and ate more at regular meals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts