Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and Im definitely allergic to him :(
After about 2 hours last night my eyes and nose started getting all itchy...waaah.
I'm going to call the Dr this afternoon. If its only me who is allergic and the kids are all fine, I'll see what meds I can go on to keep him.

He is such a sweet puppy....Im totally in love with him. He was such a scaredy cat last night but this morning he was really happy and playful. He slept 8 1/2 hours in his crate last night..woohoo! Only one pee accident so far and he's doing great for never being on a leash before

Im going to be so upset if we can't keep him. Keep your fingers crossed that we can make it work

ETA: I gave him a bath last night too and he was very well behaved

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm assuming this is a poodle? You may just have to have someone else bathe and groom him. That can release ALOT of dander. Also wash your hands after petting him and don't touch your face especially eyes and nose until after your hands have been washed. I'm on Singulair, I LOVE it!! Originally went on it to help control my asthma, but it makes me much less sensitive when going to other peoples houses who have animals. As long as I wash my hands after every pet, LOL! I also change my clothes as soon as possible when I leave. If given enough time you will probably become less sensitive to him, especially if you have not had any other pets for a long time. In the meantime, sometimes a children's dose of benedryl helps me and doesn't knock me out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, he is a mini poodle

I spent 2 hours with him at the breeders house last week, and was able to spend an hour or so last night and bathe him---all without problem. Then about another hour went by and the symptoms began. He is a total lap puppy and wants to sit on me or next to me all the time, so I'm having a hard time keeping my hands washed lol (but Im doing it)

Im waiting to talk to the Dr to see if I should go back on my Zyrtec (take it for seasonal allergies) and if I should get a nose spray.

Im just reallllly hoping my kids are ok with him b/c I dont want to have to medicate them

·
Registered
329 Posts
I agree I wouldn't medicate your kids. You may want to ask about singulair, I used to be on Zyrtec also and it did nothing for my allergies to animals. I have absolutely no side effects from Singulair either, I call it my miracle drug! LOL!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Since you spent a few hrs at the breeder's house with no problems then maybe the bath is what set off the allergy to him. Like Sam I am said, that can let out more dander then one would think. I really hope thats all it was and that the kids do well around him.

Please let us know how you continue to do. Oh, and post some pics of your new baby...please! lol

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you spent a few hrs at the breeder's house with no problems then maybe the bath is what set off the allergy to him. Like Sam I am said, that can let out more dander then one would think. I really hope thats all it was and that the kids do well around him.

Please let us know how you continue to do. Oh, and post some pics of your new baby...please! lol
I did notice that I was a little sneezy feeling when I went to pick him up, but thought that may be because there are so many dogs there (hers plus the dogs she grooms). Im awaiting a call back from the allergist lol....I want to try and do what I can to make this work

(oh crud!! As Im typing this my 12 yr old told me he just got a hive from petting the puppy....arghhhhh!)

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I've never heard anyone being that allergic to the Poodle since they are " hypoallergenic dogs ". Even my father who's allergic to everything does ok with the poodle.

It's sad that you are getting itchy hives :(

·
Registered
554 Posts
Oh how awful for you...I have really bad allergies too! I use the Zyrtec becuase my outdoor allergies are so bad, and that helps me with dealing with my dander allergies too. I have heard great things about Singulair as well.

I would take him and have him groomed (perhaps in a shorter hair length style) and see if that helps in the meantime.

I would also be sure he has NO FLEAS...sometimes breeders forget to mention when they need their next flea preventative and flea bites can somewhat resemble hives.

Not to mention you can be allergic to fleas, their bite and their leavings...so while the dogs my only be part of the problem the dander and other stuff on him might actually be what sets your allergies off.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts