Poodle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are due to pickup our toy poodle on Monday. We have been corresponding with the owner since before birth. She has shared photos of the parents & the pups. They live a good 3+ hours from us so we have not seen puppy in person.
Puppy had her shots and her physical yesterday at 8 weeks. Owner notified me that vet said all was fine health wise but did add that puppy has a slight underbite which neither parent has.
So.. Im googling like crazy and reading all sorts of stuff.
This is my dream "to be silver grey' puppy that Ive searched almost 2 yrs for. The price is $2800.00Cdn which is steep but I know poodles are rare here & these colors are nonexistent anywhere around here( middle of Canada). We are not receiving registration papers but do have to sign a non-breeding contract.
I may be oversharing but more details the better...
So ...what to do?

Awaiting any advice or comments,
Chris
in Canada
No. can result in huge problems and choking is a big deal

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Wow, I go by health history, intelligence, and temperament back three generations, plus conformation and current health reports from a vet. Color and sex is absolute last concern. You are paying top dollar for that dog starting out with problems.

I would say no. For that kind of money you should be getting a star. Would you pay more than the manufacturers price for a new car that already had expensive to fix problems (maybe unfix-able) just because it was the color you wanted?
**** And a wonderful living being that you might have and be able to love for maybe even 18 years is even more important.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are due to pickup our toy poodle on Monday. We have been corresponding with the owner since before birth. She has shared photos of the parents & the pups. They live a good 3+ hours from us so we have not seen puppy in person.
Puppy had her shots and her physical yesterday at 8 weeks. Owner notified me that vet said all was fine health wise but did add that puppy has a slight underbite which neither parent has.
This is my dream "to be silver grey' puppy that Ive searched almost 2 yrs for. The price is $2800.00Cdn which is steep but I know poodles are rare here & these colors are nonexistent anywhere around here( middle of Canada). We are not receiving registration papers but do have to sign a non-breeding contract.
So ...what to do?

Chris
in Canada
I had a bearded collie for 14 years with an underbite that became more pronounced as she grew from puppy to adult She looked an awful lot like a shark to me but with all her hair no one else noticed. At first our vet said she could be fitted with braces, later he said she'd need a jaw reconstruction So, we let her be and eventually her bottom canines created 2 holes on either side of the roof of her mouth where her canines lodged when her mouth was closed. It never caused any health problems or pain to her (believe me, she would have let us know) or interfered with her life at all.
I currently have a blue standard--or at least that's what his reputable breeder told me when I bought him as a pup 2 years ago. The only "blue"color on him is a silver rim around each ear. So if you can already see your potential pup's color (it gets lighter, don't forget) at least you've got that going.
The price does seem steep however considering you may not be as lucky as we were with health issues but our beardie was an EXTREME case and it never caused problems and had the benefit that she didn't lick us all the time.
So, good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
So ...what to do?

Chris
in Canada
Whoa! No way. For that kind of money, there should be no flaws such as that. Either the pup is heavily discounted or health guarantee on teeth or no deal. Poodle breeders club of America has poodles cheaper and better bred. Also no registration papers? Come on now. Surely there must be another breeder relativity close who sounds more legit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
She is very small and, if not eating well, could develop low blood sugar. Feed her small meals, several times a day (more often than you would a larger puppy.). You might ask your vet for advice on that. Also, keep a bottle of Karo syrup handy. If she seems lethargic or uncoordinated just get some on your finger and put it in her mouth. She should perk up. If not, get her to the vet. You'll want to keep a close eye on her until she is bigger. It's easy to miss a crash if you don't know to look for it and they can die quickly without intervention. With a bad bite, you will want to be sure to keep her teeth clean. Start working with her now so she will let you brush her teeth. You can ask the vet for advice on that too. Good luck and enjoy your new little girl.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts