Poodle Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
You should ABSOLUTELY let the breeder know ASAP. If they are as responsible as you say they are, they will want to know that a dog they bred has such serious and debilitating issues and consider how that should affect their future breeding plans. I don't know if the breeder owns both the bitch and the stud, but if she used an outside dog, she should also let the stud owner know. You should also report these issues in the Poodle Health Registry so others doing their health checking in future can see what breeders/kennels have produced what issues and can be informed when speaking to a breeder. Health issues can crop up, even in dogs that come from generations of health tested lines, but it is how the breeder responds to it that is important. If you didn't have the money to have surgery, this dog would be crippled for life from a young age.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes-thank you Eclipse. I am thinking I should let her know. Hopefully it will be well received. I believe she owns the dam—I think I have seen the sire used by one or two other breeders in the past—or featured on another breeders website for a period of time. Since I am not asking her for anything and just reporting it-hopefully she will document it and do further research.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thank you all for your posts and encouragement. The physical therapy will be an important element in her recovery from this surgery. That is funny you mentioned the bathtub water therapy Twyla. We have a garden tub that I think is deep enough—with a life jacket that has a handle perhaps. If I end up using the visiting therapist-I will ask about that!

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Life jacket is key, I did all kinds strengthening exercise to help re built the knees muscles, low levels agility dog jumps are good, they just need to be tall enough to make your dog lift her leg up and over 3" is what I used for my 10" toy Beatrice who also is a Cafe au lait

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Yes-thank you Eclipse. I am thinking I should let her know. Hopefully it will be well received. I believe she owns the dam—I think I have seen the sire used by one or two other breeders in the past—or featured on another breeders website for a period of time. Since I am not asking her for anything and just reporting it-hopefully she will document it and do further research.
How the breeder receives this will speak volumes about her commitment to the welfare of the breed, and her ethics. A reputable breeder would welcome this information so they can make informed decisions on future breedings. If it’s not well received, that’s a huge red flag....I would wonder about the accuracy of the information in the pedigree, and what has been swept under the rug in the past.

She is a sweet looking girl, and lucky to be with you! Let us know how it goes.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts