Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two mini poodles —a 3 year old silver beige male and a 1 year old cafe aulait female. They are not from the same breeders, but both breeders are very reputable breeders AKC merit with health testing and active in showing. After many vet visits over the past year my cafe aulait puppy has been diagnosed with grade 4 luxating patella in the right hind leg and to my surprise legged Perthes disease in the left hind leg. It is such a puzzle to me—I have a very detailed pedigree on her—including her parents and previous generations being tested for these disorders. It was quite a lot of work—and many awful vet visits —but I finally got her in to see a board certified orthopedic veterinarian. He said we will have to address the grade 4 luxating patella first—since she hasn’t been using that leg for about two months. She is scheduled for surgery in July—and then a lengthy period of physical therapy. If she can use that leg again—then plans for future FHO surgery will be discussed. The problem is that the FHO recovery depends on her being able to use the other leg. Surgery for each is $3000 plus $100 per session of physical therapy— I feel just awful—she is the sweetest poodle ever.
I have read varying articles about the testing that breeders do. One article said there was no Genetic test for Perthes or patellas. Her pedigree states that parents were tested for both of these disorders. The contract I signed also has the dreaded NuVet vitamin clause. My vet did not want me to give those because her food had vitamins and she eats well . She was spayed at 6 mos per instructions of breeder and vet. I am doubting that decision now —although vet has said it was not the cause. I should probably get in touch with breeder-but I am pretty tearful over having to go through this with my sweet beautiful girl—I don’t think I could handle it well if she put the problem back on me. I don’t wish to say anything bad about the breeder or anyone—I’m just puzzled?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I'm so sorry you are going through this. It sounds like you did everything you could. I hope she is able to recover from both conditions.

Health testing for patellas should be viewable on the OFA databases. Can you look up the names of her parents and see if they have testing listed? In the case of L-C-P disease, you are right there is no genetic test. The tests for it simply mark whether or not the parents have the condition. If they don't, they are marked clear. But that doesn't mean they don't potentially carry recessive genes for it.

L-C-P Disease is believed to have a genetic component, and patellar luxation certainly does, but the latter can be influenced by environment and growth to a degree. I doubt that a spay at 6 months would cause luxation at that level. It's true that early spay doesn't help orthopedic disorders, but this effect would be rather extreme.

I think the breeder needs to know about this. Did your puppy contract give any guarantee against inherited diseases? Many contracts offer some sort of guarantee, though what happens in the case of disease can vary. Sometimes a breeder will compensate you up to the puppy's original price.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much Raindrops. I looked at the contract again. It states that the puppy has a two year guarantee for PRA(eyes) and Hip Dysplasia . She offers to replace the dog or give 50 percent of purchase price with vet verification. The dog must take NuVet vitamins for first two years or she will not consider that. Those must be miracle vitamins—the dogs don’t like them—I’m thinking I should take some myself lol ! She sent a six generation pedigree with OFA numbers for all. She also sent testing results for site and dam with results and numbers—same info I can pull up if I enter it. The sire and dam have been cleared for luxating patella and LCP. I am presuming that would have been vet xrays on hips and knees. She certainly provided me with all the information I could have asked for. I think the reason they are cleared for LCP would be that an X-ray was done to rule out hip dysplasia and if they had LCP it would have showed up on X-ray. I thought she was very professional at the time of purchase—and I did not anticipate having any problems at all. The puppy is just gorgeous and has a wonderful temperament. Anyhow—I love my little girl—would still have chosen her . The two poodles I have now are the first from show breeders. I have had poodles my whole life—rescues, home breeders, etc. I guess I’ve just lucked out. My minis always had some sort of patella issue—but not this severe. The last little old guy my daughter adopted would suddenly go from 4 to 3 legs for a couple of yards—then amazingly and quickly kick the leg to the back and straighten it out! I will post more later with pictures of both poodles . I could do a whole separate thread on my male poodle—he is a handful and quite the character! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thank you so much Raindrops. I looked at the contract again. It states that the puppy has a two year guarantee for PRA(eyes) and Hip Dysplasia . She offers to replace the dog or give 50 percent of purchase price with vet verification. The dog must take NuVet vitamins for first two years or she will not consider that. Those must be miracle vitamins—the dogs don’t like them—I’m thinking I should take some myself lol ! She sent a six generation pedigree with OFA numbers for all. She also sent testing results for site and dam with results and numbers—same info I can pull up if I enter it. The sire and dam have been cleared for luxating patella and LCP. I am presuming that would have been vet xrays on hips and knees. She certainly provided me with all the information I could have asked for. I think the reason they are cleared for LCP would be that an X-ray was done to rule out hip dysplasia and if they had LCP it would have showed up on X-ray. I thought she was very professional at the time of purchase—and I did not anticipate having any problems at all. The puppy is just gorgeous and has a wonderful temperament. Anyhow—I love my little girl—would still have chosen her . The two poodles I have now are the first from show breeders. I have had poodles my whole life—rescues, home breeders, etc. I guess I’ve just lucked out. My minis always had some sort of patella issue—but not this severe. The last little old guy my daughter adopted would suddenly go from 4 to 3 legs for a couple of yards—then amazingly and quickly kick the leg to the back and straighten it out! I will post more later with pictures of both poodles . I could do a whole separate thread on my male poodle—he is a handful and quite the character! Thank you!
Hmm that is odd that she only covers hip dysplasia and PRA. Hopefully that's not because she's had past issues with these same health problems. It does sound like you may have just gotten very unlucky. I would certainly still notify the breeder even if she isn't under contract to compensate. Any good breeder would take an issue like this very seriously and would take it into account when deciding whether or not to keep breeding the parents. She should be grateful that you're letting her know about it.

I also shy away from breeders that seem heavily into NuVet supplements. They seem very gimmicky to me. But I don't really know anything about them. I certainly think it's weird to require them on the contract.

I'm sorry. I wish I had something encouraging to say. I do think your dog stands a good chance of full recovery given her age and the surgical options. I will say that $3000 seems high for FHO. I nearly rescued a dog (long story) in the past that needed a FHO and I was told if I got it done locally it would be around $2k. So you may find a less expensive option, especially if you inquire at veterinary schools.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much Raindrops. I think at some point I may just send her a note so she can be aware of it. It seems like a breeder would want to at least keep records to track disorders to try and prevent them in the future. The vitamin thing did seem strange—and I did ask the vet about it. There was a suggested vitamin for my male poodle that I got from another breeder—but it was not part of the contract—and you could buy it from whoever you wanted to without the breeder’s code. The cost of the surgery is high—a regular vet could do it cheaper. A board certified pretty well known and respected orthopedic vet from Auburn Veterinary School is the one I decided on—he comes to my town in Florida to do special surgeries a couple of days a week. A couple in my neighborhood used them for their very large yellow lab—and they were pleased. After talking with him—I decided that was the way to go. He has recommended two physical therapists that work with his patients and take directions from him. One I would have to drive 45 minutes to and the other makes house calls. Have been researching them online and plan on calling them soon! I’ll try to post about the experience .

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thank you so much Raindrops. I think at some point I may just send her a note so she can be aware of it. It seems like a breeder would want to at least keep records to track disorders to try and prevent them in the future. The vitamin thing did seem strange—and I did ask the vet about it. There was a suggested vitamin for my male poodle that I got from another breeder—but it was not part of the contract—and you could buy it from whoever you wanted to without the breeder’s code. The cost of the surgery is high—a regular vet could do it cheaper. A board certified pretty well known and respected orthopedic vet from Auburn Veterinary School is the one I decided on—he comes to my town in Florida to do special surgeries a couple of days a week. A couple in my neighborhood used them for their very large yellow lab—and they were pleased. After talking with him—I decided that was the way to go. He has recommended two physical therapists that work with his patients and take directions from him. One I would have to drive 45 minutes to and the other makes house calls. Have been researching them online and plan on calling them soon! I’ll try to post about the experience .
It sounds like you've done your homework and it sounds like a good plan to have a successful surgery. It will take some time for recovery but I'm sure she'll be feelings loads better. Do keep us updated!

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
My mini mix Gracie had an FHO. If you have any questions about recovery, or ever need some support, I'm here!

Hope the first surgery and physical therapy go smoothly. Thinking good thoughts for you and your girl.

·
Registered
135 Posts
She’s so pretty! I don’t have any experience with this, but if you haven’t already I would contact the breeder. It can’t hurt. I’m so sorry you and your puppy are going through this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear that you and your lovely girl are going thru this. There is the Poodle Health Registry that you can also check, but it's only as helpful as the information provided by owners and breeders. Fyi, I've tried to register several times and don't receive the confirmation email. I keep forgetting to use the back up procedure listed.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Sorry you are going thru this with your poodle. Even with all the tests being done these things can happen. I would definitely let the breeder know and I would also let her know that it will be treated. If she is a reputable breeder she would definitely want to know when such thing crop up in her lines. My neighbor has a year and half old yorker, at 1 year she was diagnosed with two grade 4 lactating patellas and has had surgery and PT, she has recovered well.

·
Premium Member
6,270 Posts
There are only orthopedic exams for Leggs Perth and Luxating Patellas for the parents.
Toys are more likely despite good breeding have patella issues and can damage their knees like an athlete, my girl girl had bi-lateral luxating patellas but she had crap knees from the go as a puppy.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
What a beautiful girl. I am so happy to hear she is in such a loving home, and I am so sorry to hear you are going through this. I hope that her treatment and recovery goes well.

I hope the breeder will help with expenses, and not breed one or both of these dogs again.

·
Premium Member
6,270 Posts
also there were no Physio therapists near me, so I did it myself with strengthening exercises and since my girl is little swimming in a tub

1 - 20 of 25 Posts