Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, our spoo, Cody is a little over 5 months old, and the guy is seriously shaggy. He looks like a black lamb. Or a black sheep dog! We have trimmed his feet and sanitary area, and trimmed with scissors around the eyes (both me at home and at the groomer), but we've been enjoying his soft, fuzzy baby fur. However, I think it might be time for an actual haircut. The long fur just gets SO dirty (we have 4 kids and are all outside rolling/running around in the dirt a LOT, plus I think he sometimes gets wayward pee on his leg fur. Blech.) I bathe him every other week, but still, he gets pretty gross by then.

I made an appointment with the groomer in a couple weeks, but I'm wondering, what I should ask for? I know we definitely want to get his face way, way shorter. My husband doesn't like it totally shaved, but I'm thinking pretty tight would be a lot cleaner (and better for his eyes -- he had an eye infection that responded well to antibiotics a couple weeks ago, and I can't help thinking all the hair on his face contributed to that and I wouldn't want it to recur.) And on his body, I think it would be nice to get it a little shorter, I guess? Especially on the legs b/c of the peeing and tracking in so much dirt and nature. I'm torn because a) it will be very cold here for the next several months and a fur coat is nice for that and b) he's so darn cute with the shaggy fur and I know I won't be able to keep up with it once his adult coat grows in.

So anyway, that's a very long-winded way of asking -- what did you guys do with your puppies' coats when they were younger? (Especially if your dog is strictly pet and you have no intention of a show coat at any point, though my understanding is that even show dogs usually have shaggy puppy coats.) Any ideas/thoughts?
Thank you!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops, just realized I probably should have posted this in the puppy grooming forum. Sorry about that!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I started grooming my puppy at 12 weeks because I couldn't take it. If he hasn't had a full body groom yet, I would suggest telling the groomer you want them to take everything at his pace and just do what he will tolerate. A simple same-length-all-over cut is probably best because it is simpler. I would take the face as short as your husband will tolerate. They grow out so fast! I love mine shaved and I shave his face weekly. It really grows out very quickly and is much easier to keep clean when short. It may grow on your husband because their facial expressions show best with a clean shave. I will share some of my pup's cuts when he was little.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I think you're right about the facial expressions. That's one thing I don't like about his shaggy look.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I loved that soft puppy fluff as well! And Raffi was a late summer pup, so I wanted to keep him longer to stay warm in the winter. His first 'real' cut was a bit of a trim on the backs of his front legs (cuz ew, the pee!), shortened over his hind end, and face/feet/sani.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My puppy is a little over six months and we have had her groomed once and will again next week. I also love the puppy fur and she also had an eye infection due to the dirt and hair in her eyes. My groomer worked well with me. The first time she just bathed her and got her used to a quick trim around her eyes. Then, a few weeks later we had a full grooming. She felt so much better. We kept her pretty long, but with a shaved faces. I included the picture right after her first grooming. I think we will take her a little shorter because her hair is now too long. I looked for pictures of dogs on the internet and brought the pictures to my groomer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the pictures, jclongchamp and starvt! I'm glad to hear that with the shorter face hair, your puppy hasn't had more eye infections, jclongchamp. I didn't know if that would really make a difference. And I am kind of relieved to hear that someone else's dog pees on his leg fur, starvt! Lol! I actually just trimmed quite a bit of it myself tonight before bathing him. Definitely feeling excited about reducing his hairiness when he visits the groomer!!

And Peggy, thank you for sharing that your husband has grown to love the shaved face. I am hoping that happens here, too!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wanted to update... Cody had his first real haircut. As it turns out he was totally chill with everything except the face. And I had mentioned being okay with some hair on the face... so he ended up with basically the opposite of a puppy cut: fairly short all over, except for the muzzle. He’s very cute this way though- kinda looks like a hipster with a big square beard. 🤣 And he’s much much much cleaner!!!
CE58B277-5FB0-4A1A-9C0D-1F4107C48A8A.jpeg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Another update on the off chance that anyone finds this interesting... After a week of his bushy face and trim body, I could not take it. So my husband held him while I trimmed aLOT of fluff from his face. We both think he looks SO much better now that you can see more of his poodley good looks! I'm happy because a)I think he looks much better and b)I think my husband is really coming around to the idea of a tighter groom on the face.
It's really hard to get a picture of him these days, here's the best one I could snap.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,794 Posts
I'm in favor of a trimmed muzzle. .My boy Pogo had trouble seeing out when I let his face get too woolly. Normally he could catch a ball on the fly; not when his face was fluffy. Additionally, he got ticks on his muzzle whenever his facial hair was long. With short hair he would feel the tick crawling and wipe it off with a paw before it embedded. He couldn't get the ticks off when the hair was long enough for the ticks to hang on. I would only find them after they were big enough to see through the hair. Blech!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
He does look cuter with the shorter face.
But it's great that your groomer did not try to push him too far while he is still getting used to grooming.
Yeah, I agree. I really, really like this groomer, and more importantly, Cody seemed to like her as well, so I'm glad to build that relationship at the right pace. It's funny, I love grooming him and he's okay with me doing pretty much anything grooming-wise, with him. But I know that I won't have time to keep up with it, especially after his coat changes, given everything else we have doing on. So we're getting used to the groomer!

Cowpony, ticks! Blech indeed!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts