Poodle Forum banner

Puppy gait question

5K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  PeggyTheParti 
#1 ·
Is turning a back foot inward while walking, a puppy thing or a potential problem with gaiting? Could it just be from certain movements being to slow? I notice it more and more with Jasper but I just keep thinking it's a puppy thing. This is the first time I'm actually picking apart the puppy I own because of wanting to show the dog in conformation.

#3 ·
What do you mean turning inward while walking ? Is it when the rear feet hit the ground or when he picks them up and they turn ?

Does Jasper have straight back legs when standing with out being stacked ? ( cow hocked or slight cow hocked )

#4 ·
I'll have to try to get a video of it but what's happening is that when he's walking, not running that I've seen, his right rear foot turns in slightly sometimes. It's not all of the time, it's sometimes. When he's stacked yes he's got straight legs and cow hocked would put his feet out in the opposite direction that I see his foot turning so no on the cow hocks.

Like I said it's not happening when he's running, it happens when he slows down but it's noticible to me. I'll ask the breeder.

#9 ·
Jasper would be more of a bowed hocked puppy. Because his toes go in. I watched him when we went out the last time and both go in at times. It's probably just a puppy thing but I was worried that I might be causing it some how if he's not getting enough exercise or whatever. He doesn't have the run of our house because of potty issues and our backyard has been flooded since the rains started last week. Our time outside has been limited but he goes running off with the kids on the sidewalk and in the front yard.

I'd love to see your videos roxy.

#11 ·
O he is like toed in in the rear , He will probably grow out of it but you can ask the breeder about it since she will be more familar with her own lines etc..

Here is the video again not sure if you can see anything in them

#10 ·
Your puppy is very young and he is growing. They go through a number of ugly, wobbly stages. Give him some time. These things often work themselves out.

BTW... this is why a dog does a "down and back" in the conformation ring. It is to check for this type of unsoundness in an adult.

#12 ·
I'm not too worried about it. I kind of figured it was a "puppy thing" and just wanted to ask around to see if I was right or wrong. I asked the breeder and she said the same thing as you did cbrand. I don't think we can really know until he's mature.

#15 ·
I think he is about 4 months in that video? We barely got him in that video he was so cute.

Kspoo start slow with the leash since he has issues with it. Try just putting the leash on him with out actually holding the leash and give him a treat and praise. let him walk around with it on ( let him just walk around the house with it for few mins with out you holding it) He will start to see the leash is not bad.

Also once he gets used to it start stacking him and smooth his tail up. By putting the tail up he will start building confidence

#16 ·
Yup that's what Cesar says. He says it's amazing what forcing their tail up can do for their confidence. I remember my husband telling me he watched a Dog Whisperer show where Cesar used a leash to force the tail up of a dog and it completely changed the dog's confidence level instantly.

Jasper is a little sissy boy. He gets scared easily and in order to get him over that he just needs to be exposed to as many sounds and different situations and people as possible. I plan on taking him with us places when he gets a little older and I don't have to worry about him getting sick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.