Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I’m new to the forum and have researched with no specific results. Hope someone can advise. I have 3 adorable toy poodles. One is 10 years old, 9 lbs., and she has been a very picky eater all her life. She only eats when hungry and stops when full. We recently acquired a now 12 week old 3 lb. puppy and she will eat anything that is put in the bowl. Our other puppy is 8 weeks and he stops eating when full. My question is how much dry food ( Purina ) should I be giving the puppies? Our grown poodle only eats 3/4 cup per day if that. The 12 week old always acts hungry if she sees the bowl. Thanks for your replies.

·
Super Moderator
5,822 Posts
Welcome to Poodle Forum!

What are the serving sizes on the bag of food you're feeding? There should be guidelines according to the dog's weight (and on puppy formulas the puppy's age will also be factored in).

I use the servings sizes as a starting point and then tweak up or down based on appetite and to maintain a healthy weight.

One cup of one brand of food is not necessarily equivalent to one cup of another. And even within the same brand, different formulas will have different serving sizes. So there's no one-size-fits-all answer.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I use the guidelines listed on the bag or container of food but I have found the amounts to be on the high side for my boys.
As PTP mentioned, the kcal content and serving size guidelines will vary by formula.

You mentioned Purina but not which formula, so I'll use the one I feed for an example.

I feed my boys Purina Pro Plan Small Breed Savor. My smaller 3y old mini boy is around 12.5 lbs. He gets 1/4c at his first meal of the day, and another 1/4c at dinner.
At his weight, I'm feeding 1/2 of the recommended amount. He gets additional toppers on his two meals and treats thru the day, bringing him to something closer to the kcal amount recommended for the day.

Here's the serving size guidelines from the bag:

Feeding Guidelines

RECOMMENDED DAILY FEEDING AMOUNTS
Using a standard 8 oz/250 ml measuring cup which contains approximately 97 g of Pro Plan.

Calorie Content (fed)
4034 kcal/kg
393 kcal/cup

WeightFeeding Amount
(lbs)(kg)(cups)(grams)
3 - 121.4 - 5.41/2 - 149 - 97
13 - 205.9 - 9.11 - 1-1/297 - 146

For comparison, here's one of their toy breed puppy formulas with feeding suggestions. You can see that the kcal content of one cup of puppy food is considerably higher than the adult formula.

Feeding Guidelines

RECOMMENDED DAILY FEEDING AMOUNTS
Using a standard 8 oz/250 ml measuring cup which contains approximately 117 g of Pro Plan.

CALORIE CONTENT
Metabolizable Energy (ME)
4457 kcal/kg
2022 kcal/lb
521 kcal/cup

Weight at Maturity1-1/2 - 3 months4 - 5 months6 - 8 months9 - 11 months1 - 2 years
(lbs)(cups)(cups)(cups)
0 - 31/22/31/2Feed as AdultFeed as Adult
4 - 61/22/3 - 3/41/2 - 3/4Feed as AdultFeed as Adult
7 - 91/2 - 2/33/4 - 7/83/4 - 7/8Feed as AdultFeed as Adult
10 - 122/37/8 - 17/8 - 1Feed as AdultFeed as Adult
(kg)(grams)(grams)(grams)
0 - 1.4597959Feed as AdultFeed as Adult
1.8 - 2.75979 - 8859 - 88Feed as AdultFeed as Adult
3.2 - 4.159 - 7988 - 10288 - 102Feed as AdultFeed as Adult
4.5 - 5.479102 - 117102 - 117Feed as AdultFeed as Adult
Puppies start to nibble solid foods at 3 - 4 weeks of age. Keep moistened Pro Plan available at all times. Allow your puppy to eat at will until fully weaned (6 - 8 weeks). After weaning, Pro Plan can be fed moistened or dry. For best results, develop a regular feeding schedule such as three small meals a day for younger puppies. You can gradually reduce to one feeding in the morning and one in the evening as your puppy ages. The routine should not vary. As puppies near adulthood, their calorie needs may drop, and your puppy may begin leaving some food in the bowl. Don't misinterpret this as an indication of dislike for the food. Instead, begin offering less so your puppy doesn't overeat and stays in ideal body condition.

Nestlé Purina Research indicates that avoiding overfeeding of puppies may help their development. Maintaining ideal body condition is key to encouraging proper growth in all puppies, especially large breeds. The indicated amounts are only a guideline. If your puppy becomes overweight, a reduction of your puppy’s daily food intake may be appropriate. You may wish to consult your veterinarian about a weight control program.

Your older toy sounds as though she's exercising good poodle judgment in self regulating her intake. She may be picky as well, but 9lbs for a toy sounds healthy.

The 12 week old may just be going thru a growth spurt and will eat more for a while, if that's so.

What does your vet say?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts