Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi this has happened a few times now. My puppy takes ages to go to toilet and nothing comes out or sometimes it comes out but looks like it is stuck half in.
I noticed her bottom is a bit red. Anything I can do it she’s a bit constipated

·
Premium Member
13,060 Posts
You could try adding a little cooked butternut squash or sweet potato to her food - in the States the recommendation is canned pumpkin, but that can be hard to find in the UK. A very little liver is also effective - a very little, or you will have the opposite problem to deal with! Think in terms of half a teaspoonful.

Making sure she drinks enough will help too - I would add a little water or unsalted stock to her food if she does not drink water regularly voluntarily.

·
Super Moderator
7,870 Posts
This is a resource I trust:

I would check right away to ensure her bum is clean and isn’t being obstructed by hair. This used to happen with Gracie sometimes, and (like the article says) it was very easy to miss.

·
Super Moderator
2,236 Posts
I had hair trouble with Galen during his recent bout of diarrhea. The hair around his bum got matted and blocked the exit. I spent 30 disgusting minutes with warm damp towels and a very unhappy poodle puppy to solve the problem.

Is there any chance the puppy might have eaten a piece of string or something similar?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Steamed or boiled carrots are another affordable food option. I normally insta-pot a bag with Basil's chicken. Soft and mushy in... soft and mushy out...

·
Registered
28 Posts
When my Shih Tzus and poodle mix got constipated, we gave them a heaping tablespoon of plain Greek yoghurt for breakfast and a few chunks of cooked pumpkin along with their dinner. Usually resolved itself for us after a few days of this.

Hope your puppy gets better!

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Sometimes Mia gets constipation from too much bone in her diet (she eats raw, but also finds treats in the woods on her own). As soon as I notice - or even when I think there's the possibility of constipation - I switch her to boiled rice and ground meat, about 1/3 rice to 1 part meat. I feed this until I'm confident that the episode has passed, so to speak. Sometimes I add fish oil to the mixture, but I have no evidence whether this helps or hinders.

·
Registered
14 Posts
How old is the puppy? I feed my puppies a little canned dog food mixed with the dry food. Dry kibble will constipate a young puppy. Older dogs with stomach upset I give pumpkin purée or yogurt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts