Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Super excited that our breeder confirmed we will be getting spoo pup in 2 weeks when she is just over 9 weeks old. We are driving to pick her up in the next city over. We'd been on the waitlist since August, when we visited this breeder in her home and met her adult dogs and were impressed with how much they liked her, and that they were calm and friendly toward us and our baby. We originally were told that we'd be getting a boy, as the only girl in the litter was going to stay with the breeder for her program, but the breeder ultimately decided to match us with the girl. Why not keep the girl for herself? Our breeder said it was because she, like the rest of the dogs in the litter, all had a tuft of white fur on the chest and thus would not be the best choice for her breeding program for conformation. The dogs are apricot. Anyway, after Volharding, all the pups reportedly received majority 3s and 4s with some outlying 2s and 5s here and there. Out of 9 Volhard criteria, our girl received six 3s and three 2s. I am pretty excited about this score because I'd like a very engaged pup who can keep up with our family -- we are active, love to hike and travel (though not so much traveling during pandemic), have a kid at home, and a feisty adolescent cat. I'm also interested in search-and-rescue training, agility, and therapy work if her adult temperament suits. I will post photos once we pick her up.

This is not my first dog, but it's my first dog as an adult who is in charge (so very different from when you have a dog as a kid or teenager), so any thoughts or advice or "I wish someone had told me this when getting a puppy" insights are very welcome!

·
Registered
Benjamin Franlkin - Senior Tpoo, Apple Butter - mpoo puppy
96 Posts
No advice! Im in the middle of doing puppy stuff myself. I guess the best thing I did was read Patricia McConnell's book The Other End of the Leash. A lot was stuff I knew, but it was a nice read AND it had a lot I didn't ever really think about.

My pup scored all twos and threes on her volhard. I was kind of nervous about all of those twos, but she is working out great! We also plan to do therapy dog certification and we are going to try out agility too. Apple is a mini poodle and not a spoo, though. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No advice! Im in the middle of doing puppy stuff myself. I guess the best thing I did was read Patricia McConnell's book The Other End of the Leash. A lot was stuff I knew, but it was a nice read AND it had a lot I didn't ever really think about.

My pup scored all twos and threes on her volhard. I was kind of nervous about all of those twos, but she is working out great! We also plan to do therapy dog certification and we are going to try out agility too. Apple is a mini poodle and not a spoo, though. :)
Apple is seriously CUTE! Glad to hear that your pup scored the same as our to-be pup and that she is working out so well for you. I will definitely check out The Other End of the Leash as you mentioned. I have McConnell's Puppy Primer guide and am finding it useful. Thanks for commenting!

·
Premium Member
3,376 Posts
Congratulations on your puppy! Exciting times for you all :).

In additon to Patricia McConnell's book, I'll add this recommendation for Ian Dunbar, if you haven't already.

I highly recommend Ian Dunbar’s Before And After Getting Your Puppy. It’s available as a book:

And it can also be read online for free:

https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/BEFORE%20You%20Get%20Your%20Puppy.pdf
https://www.dogstardaily.com/files/downloads/AFTER_You_Get_Your_Puppy.pdf

·
Registered
346 Posts
Congrats! We're all excited for you. 2 weeks is right around the corner lol. The search function is super helpful if you look up "new puppy soon" or have any specific questions feel free to ask.

We hope to see puppy pictures as soon as you can share :)

·
Premium Member
23,797 Posts
Congratulations on your soon to be gotcha day. I also strongly recommend Ian Dunbar's puppy books. You can download them for free at his website dogstardaily.com

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to all! I have either bought or been given as gifts the following books over the last couple months:

Ian Dunbar's "Before and After Getting Your Puppy."
Sophia Yin's "Perfect Puppy in 7 Days"
Patricia McConnell's "Puppy Primer"
Monks' of New Skete "The Art of Raising a Puppy"
Karen Pryor's "Don't Shoot the Dog"
"Respect Training for Puppies" (I forgot the author)

I also previously read Cesar Millan's book on how to raise puppies, which I found interesting, but not very helpful.

·
Premium Member
23,797 Posts
Oh am I happy to see you are not enthusiastic about Cesar as a role model for puppy training! I feel somewhat the same way about the Monks' of New Skete book. I read it carefully and found it interesting, but not full of methods I would use to raise a pup. They have modified their thinking about social dominance as part of the formula though. For me Ian is the go to man. I used many of his methods with Javelin, who was a much easier pup than either of our older dogs. He was a dream to house train, has the best centripetal attraction to me of all tree of our dogs and is the only one who does things I ask without ever questioning what was in it for him.

Reactions: PeggyTheParti

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
You have some great resources there. I wish I had Volhard results for Peggy, but I suspect she’d have gotten lots of 2s. The absolute best professional advice I received after bringing her home was to follow Ian Dunbar’s book as closely as I possibly could. I’d read it with multiple puppies previously, but this time around I really let it sink in because my challenging puppy’s life with us depended on it. And it worked.

That book plus a great puppy class and ongoing training classes really helped my husband and me get on the same page (no pun intended), which is so important in a multi-handler household.

I also find Sophia Yin videos extremely helpful. She had the most wonderful calm energy. And Patricia McConnell’s blog is a daily treat.

I’ve read a Karen Pryor clicker book and enjoyed it, but it did require some prior knowledge of training (or at least a willingness to stop and google as necessary). I‘ve been meaning to read Don't Shoot The Dog. Did you enjoy it?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Congratulations! Those are great scores. I would also recommend watch Stonnie Dennis on YouTube as I really love his training style. He has a lot of videos on working with puppies.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've got a great addition to your resource list! This online course from MadCap- it's free (even though it says to purchase).
Anything from Jane Killion is good, check out her Puppy Culture website. The FB group Pandemic Puppy Raising Support Group is also great, there is lots of great resources under the 'Units' tab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts