Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m curious in a litter of red standards, are they all born with light points and then that changes to black on some or all over time? If so at what age would,you see those points? I’m also curious about the overall coloring. I know there is so much variation in red litters but do you see that right away or is that also something that changes as they get a little older? It seems in photos I sometimes see a brand new litter that looks all very deep red in color, some will have a litter of babies that all look much lighter in color and then some litters may have a mix. JusT curious for those of you with reds or who may breed reds? Just trying to learn as much as I can about what I hope to be my next color ? love pics if you have them! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If they have liver points then they will never turn black - you can see this in litters that may have brown (or cafe or silver beige) dogs behind them. If they have black points, the darker the nose at birth and the following days, the better. If the puppy takes a week or two for the nose to darken then it probably won’t end up as dark as a puppy who has a tint of black in the nose at birth. If you don’t see any black on the nose by the time they are a few weeks old then they have liver points, which is generally less desirable, especially for show. One of the best indicators also is looking at the parents noses. If they are both dark black at an older age then it is more likely that the puppies will have that.

As far as the red color, I believe the darker the red at birth, the darker it remains growing up, but virtually all of them will fade. If they come from a black and red background only for many generations then they may not fade as much, but if they have silver, silver beige, blue, or cafe at lait in the lines then they may fade more. Again look at the parents. If they are more faded, the puppies probably will be too. If both retain a dark red color then the puppies may as well.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
So I’m curious in a litter of red standards, are they all born with light points and then that changes to black on some or all over time? If so at what age would,you see those points? I’m also curious about the overall coloring. I know there is so much variation in red litters but do you see that right away or is that also something that changes as they get a little older? It seems in photos I sometimes see a brand new litter that looks all very deep red in color, some will have a litter of babies that all look much lighter in color and then some litters may have a mix. JusT curious for those of you with reds or who may breed reds? Just trying to learn as much as I can about what I hope to be my next color ? love pics if you have them! Thanks!
Cayenne was deep dark red at 15 months when I got her, at 4 she is more of a apricot. Here is my reds the dark one is 15 months she is now the color of the other one who was 11 at them time
whit dress kissing crop  7 12  15 (2).jpg

·
Registered
173 Posts
Cayenne was deep dark red at 15 months when I got her, at 4 she is more of a apricot. Here is my reds the dark one is 15 months she is now the color of the other one who was 11 at them time
View attachment 443527
Aww! Both red and apricot are beautiful colours. Your girls are so pretty.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Lucky is the only one that didn’t fade out of his litter because he was already white lol. Everyone went from red to cream or white.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts