Poodle Forum banner

puppy clip hips?

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  skinnydoggz 
#1 ·
I have a question for you guys who show poodles. And remember, this question is coming from someone rather clueless. . . I'm wondering why sometimes in the puppy clip they trim the hips so angular... kind of like the first 3 poodle pictures I attached. The poodles are gorgeous. . I'm just wondering if there's a reason for this or is it just a matter of personal preference? Of course this is my own unqualified personal opinion of course, but I really like the rounded look better, like the last 3. It just seems more lifelike rather than mechanical, I guess. I thought maybe if I understood the reasoning behind the clip I'd appreciate it a little better. :)

I know...it could be much more angular. . .maybe like the last one? jk

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
It shows the correct angulation in the back area. The angles have to add up to 90 degrees. Unless you breed, groom and show, it means nothing. Its just a look! Its all done with fur, removing more, leaving some on. The groom is done to accentuate a nice dog and to camoflage an incorrect dog.

#5 ·
I just came across this post in a search and wondered about the same thing. Can't the dog's angles be shown without the pointiness? I would think you could soften the edges and still accentuate good points/camouflage weaknesses. Flufflvr, you worded that so nicely (I thought maybe if I understood the reasoning behind the clip I'd appreciate it a little better."). I think the softer trims you posted are gorgeous. I wonder how many pointy dogs win compared to the softer edged dogs. If the pointy look didn't get wins, they wouldn't groom them this way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.