Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems most training classes are suspended at this time, but I was able to find one training place in my area that is offering puppy classes where the people aren’t allowed in (I attached a screenshot of their process). I guess this would be better than nothing as far as puppy socialization and learning bite inhibition? How would you feel about this type of puppy class?
We have adult dogs for him to socialize a little but they won’t be as playful as fellow puppies.

·
Premium Member
23,374 Posts
Puppies do benefit from play groups when they are young (like 18 weeks old and under). I don't like the idea of my puppy being out of reach at any time though. The situation described could be okay so long as the puppy "trainers" are experienced and that there are at least two of them depending on how many puppies there are. Most puppies already have decent bite inhibition by the time they reach their forever homes, but more practice with it is good. Do you have to pay for a bunch of classes or one at a time.

With Javelin I took him to a puppy play group at Petco. It was free (they hoped you would buy stuff of course) and it was a drop in. I don't think he benefited much since there were two adult pugs who were bullies and made it very unfun for most of the appropriate age pups who were on the shy side. The trainer should have told the pug owner to take them out of the group, but I guess he made lots of purchases.

·
Super Moderator
5,774 Posts
I would really struggle with this. A big part of our puppy socialization sessions was teaching Peggy that we've got her back. It was a great confidence builder for her, knowing we'd intervene on her behalf. And it taught us to closely watch play for signs that things were unravelling. There was no opportunity for bullying or for a tired puppy to lose his bite inhibition.

But.........these aren't ideal times. And I do feel that interacting with a wide variety of dogs and humans, of all shapes and sizes, is important in those first months. But the quality of those experiences is always going to trump quantity.

Like lily cd re said, it could be beneficial if the trainers are experienced, but if you can't see them in action, how do you know they're a good fit?

Our trainer is close to re-opening puppy classes, but only outdoors. I'd probably feel more comfortable with the class you shared if it was just the outdoor play component and you could be present.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your responses. I have similar concerns. I was wondering what the ratio would be of trainers to puppies, and I’m not sure how easy it would be to tell from observing far away if it’s a good fit. Also, as you say I feel like having his human there would help build his confidence, and I could set limits if I felt they weren’t doing so as I would like.

@lily cd re I'm sorry that was your experience at Petco! They really should have asked the pugs to leave. How unfortunate. And yes you have to pay for 4 classes however I think they have discounted it and the cost is currently $85 for all 4 classes.

Maybe I will keep searching for someone opening back up soon with outside classes. I found one lady but she’s 2.5 hours away 😬 the search continues...

·
Premium Member
23,374 Posts
I can't complain too much on Petco since it was free. I will add now that I am thinking about it that even thogh we could hang close to observe I mostly stayed a little away once I got the lay of the land since Javelin just stared at me if he knew I was right there. He was very young but sort of like an adultified child since Lily and Peeves were nearly seven when he joined the family. I think he thought puppies (unless they were a good age and personality match) were sort of stupid little creatures. He had already started to do serious obedience work with me and like playing with me. Lily wanted him to melt away when he was a pup. Part of his job as a pup was to play with Lily who had too much energy for Peeves to find her fun. She wanted no part of that. He did play with Peeves fairly well before Javvy also had hormones.

Reactions: SSpillies
1 - 5 of 5 Posts