Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here and the new owner of a 10week old standard poodle. When I got her from the breeder she was already eating the above mentioned food. I clarified with her that it was indeed adult and not puppy food. She's been eating it well and has had no issues transitioning to our house staying on her food. But I'm worried maybe I should switch to a puppy formula, like maybe she isn't getting the right nutrient ratio.

We were actually at the vet this morning (should've asked! ) and I asked when I should stop free feeding her and he was surprised she was free feeding and said to go to 2 meals/day at the recommended amount on the bag. She's 12.5lb now at 10.5 weeks, she was 9.4 at 8w. Projected adult weight by the breeder was 40-45lb but calculators are saying 60-65lb! Worried she's growing too fast. Thanks in advance for any info!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
We, too, were concerned with rapid growth, and our puppy also came to us with adult food, which she was being free fed (and NOT digesting properly).

We transitioned her gradually to a large breed puppy formula, divided into a minimum of three meals per day, as is generally recommended until at least 6 months of age.

We added additional servings on "hungry days" which typically preceded a growth spurt. She reliably self-regulates, so I've so far never worried about over-feeding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We, too, were concerned with rapid growth, and our puppy also came to us with adult food, which she was being free fed (and NOT digesting properly).

We transitioned her gradually to a large breed puppy formula, divided into a minimum of three meals per day, as is generally recommended until at least 6 months of age.

We added additional servings on "hungry days" which typically preceded a growth spurt. She reliably self-regulates, so I've so far never worried about over-feeding.
Thanks for the reply. I think I will transition her to puppy food gradually starting today

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts