Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Chanel, brown standard female. Midas, white mini male (fixed). Charlie, black maltipoo.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this girl at the end of last month! She’s a bit over three months and I’m learning lots of new things with her. My only pure bred poodle is a mini that I’ve taken to a groomer and kept it short. This girl is going to have long hair and I’ll need to learn about grooming (with practice preferably). Here’s to the new adventure!
Dog Water dog Plant Working animal Liver

Plant Dog Hat Tree Fawn

Vertebrate Dog breed Mammal Carnivore Dog

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Tennis ball Companion dog

Vertebrate Comfort Carnivore Dog breed Dog

Dog breed Liver Shipping box Fawn Snout

Dog Leg Carnivore Gesture Dog breed

If anyone feels the need to drop advice, feel free to!

·
Registered
Chanel, brown standard female. Midas, white mini male (fixed). Charlie, black maltipoo.
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Girl poodles and their money shots! Sheesh.

View attachment 496051

I noticed the tennis ball. Just FYI, these can be very abrasive and wear down teeth so consider that.
Oh how thank you so much for the tip! Before I bought her she broke off a baby fang, so I gotta keep an eye out for proper care. Wish I was having luck with brushing teeth!
Where did you find the info of tennis balls wearing their teeth down?

·
Administrator
14,844 Posts
Your puppy is absolutely adorable! I love a brown poodle. :love: Do you have photos of her parents? Will she retain much of that colour, do you think?

Pretty sure the tennis ball thing is only an issue if they’re obsessive about them, constantly carrying one around. They’re also not appropriate chew toys. Puppy Kongs worked well for Peggy, especially the one shaped like a tire.

My best advice to all new spoo owners is to read Ian Dunbar’s Before and After Getting Your Puppy and try to have fun even when it’s not much fun. They are just so darn clever! A very rewarding challenge. :)

I’d also suggest not taking her to grocery stores, just out of respect for your fellow shoppers and public health regulations. There are lots of dog-friendly places that will welcome your gorgeous gal and expose her to all sorts of new sights, sounds, and smells. You want her to be welcomed so she learns that people are kind and wonderful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your puppy is absolutely adorable! I love a brown poodle. :love: Do you have photos of her parents? Will she retain much of that colour, do you think?

Pretty sure the tennis ball thing is only an issue if they’re obsessive about them, constantly carrying one around. They’re also not appropriate chew toys. Puppy Kongs worked well for Peggy, especially the one shaped like a tire.

My best advice to all new spoo owners is to read Ian Dunbar’s Before and After Getting Your Puppy and try to have fun even when it’s not much fun. They are just so darn clever! A very rewarding challenge. :)

I’d also suggest not taking her to grocery stores, just out of respect for your fellow shoppers and public health regulations. There are lots of dog-friendly places that will welcome your gorgeous gal and expose her to all sorts of new sights, sounds, and smells. You want her to be welcomed so she learns that people are kind and wonderful.
For sure won’t take her again to the grocery. It was just a one time thing since I purchased her before the kennel, collar, and leash. Not smart, but I’ll do better in the future.
Here’s mom:
Glasses Smile Vertebrate Plant Mammal

Here’s dad (Russian import show dog- so fancy!):
Photograph Water dog Leg Dog Tire

Dog Picture frame Carnivore Dog breed Art

Dog Dog breed Working animal Fence Carnivore

Looking at their papers, mom is 6 and dad is 1. This was mom’s last litter, and my puppy was supposed to be used to breed

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh how thank you so much for the tip! Before I bought her she broke off a baby fang, so I gotta keep an eye out for proper care. Wish I was having luck with brushing teeth!
Where did you find the info of tennis balls wearing their teeth down?

occasional play is ok but leaving them with the dog to chew on all the time will have a deleterious effect on the teeth.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Chanel is a pretty girl; looks like a real sweetheart. Very expressive eyes. Sounds like she had a rough start being kept in a kennel, having broken baby fang and her back end looks weak in your photos … I think you mentioned this elsewhere. Lucky she ended up with you because you want to give her the best care.

Her dad should have been at least 2 years old. The Poodle Club of America has a list of testing that should be done on all breeding stock. Hip dysplasia is assessed by an x-ray taken after a dog is 2 years old. I suspect both your dog’s parents were completely tested. https://poodleclubofamerica.org/wpcontent/uploads/poodle_health_screening_2020.pdf. Given your dog’s weak hind end I would keep a close watch on your puppy. I’m sure your vet is too. No repetitive jumping or twisting until pup’s bone plates have closed. If puppy is playing and jumping it’s okay, but you shouldn’t ask your dog to jump multiple times.

I too was going to mention, only service dogs should be in a grocery store and always four paws on the floor and never in a grocery cart. I did take my puppy to non-grocery stores that do allow well behaved dogs for socializing and training. It varies where you live, but my local TJMaxx and Marshall’s stores love my dogs visiting. Pet stores do too but so many dogs have peed and pooped plus the smell of food is very distracting for young dogs. Both these stores sell dog items so I often bought a toy or treat when I go to train. They are wonderful places to train for the AKC CGC tests and therapy dog tests.

Real tennis balls have a special coating to take a beating being bounced back and forth on a tennis court. It’s why you can play with a ball a while before it doesn’t bounce well. That coating is abrasive and wears down dog’s enamel which is permanent damage. And the fuzzy surface collects dirt and debris which can also vibe abrasive. Tennis balls meant for dogs have a different coating that is safer for dog’s teeth. I’m guessing that since your ball is yellow & green that it’s probably a dog ball. Balls can also be a choking hazard. Here’s good information From AKC. Are Tennis Balls Safe for Dogs? – American Kennel Club. Balls can be fun just supervise and be careful.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chanel is a pretty girl; looks like a real sweetheart. Very expressive eyes. Sounds like she had a rough start being kept in a kennel, having broken baby fang and her back end looks weak in your photos … I think you mentioned this elsewhere. Lucky she ended up with you because you want to give her the best care.

Her dad should have been at least 2 years old. The Poodle Club of America has a list of testing that should be done on all breeding stock. Hip dysplasia is assessed by an x-ray taken after a dog is 2 years old. I suspect both your dog’s parents were completely tested. https://poodleclubofamerica.org/wpcontent/uploads/poodle_health_screening_2020.pdf. Given your dog’s weak hind end I would keep a close watch on your puppy. I’m sure your vet is too. No repetitive jumping or twisting until pup’s bone plates have closed. If puppy is playing and jumping it’s okay, but you shouldn’t ask your dog to jump multiple times.

I too was going to mention, only service dogs should be in a grocery store and always four paws on the floor and never in a grocery cart. I did take my puppy to non-grocery stores that do allow well behaved dogs for socializing and training. It varies where you live, but my local TJMaxx and Marshall’s stores love my dogs visiting. Pet stores do too but so many dogs have peed and pooped plus the smell of food is very distracting for young dogs. Both these stores sell dog items so I often bought a toy or treat when I go to train. They are wonderful places to train for the AKC CGC tests and therapy dog tests.

Real tennis balls have a special coating to take a beating being bounced back and forth on a tennis court. It’s why you can play with a ball a while before it doesn’t bounce well. That coating is abrasive and wears down dog’s enamel which is permanent damage. And the fuzzy surface collects dirt and debris which can also vibe abrasive. Tennis balls meant for dogs have a different coating that is safer for dog’s teeth. I’m guessing that since your ball is yellow & green that it’s probably a dog ball. Balls can also be a choking hazard. Here’s good information From AKC. Are Tennis Balls Safe for Dogs? – American Kennel Club. Balls can be fun just supervise and be careful.
@Skylar Thank you! I’ve got her on a prescribed joint supplement, feeding regimen for her exposed ribs, and walking her often (but taking account fatigue). I’ll be careful with the stores and such, it was a one time thing just cause I was unprepared.

So her father’s age is only one year on both documents provided. That doesn’t sound very official now that you’ve mentioned it. No idea what to think of that :confused:
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

Font Material property Parallel Circle Number

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Skylar Here’s some photos of her teeth. I first noticed it since there was a broken piece there and it was inflamed, so I assumed it was a baby tooth coming in. I’ve never noticed these things on dogs haha.
Then the vet told me it was a broken tooth! Poor thing- I haven’t seen that before so I don’t know what could cause that. Maybe she bit into her kennel over there? No clue.
Now it’s smoothed out and when I take a closer look there’s a tiny red hole where it once was. The gum was so swollen around it before, so this looks much better.

Tooth Jaw Fang Gesture Ear

Missing fang:
Nose Skin Eyelash Human body Jaw

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Poor baby, I assume a broken tooth is as painful for a puppy as it is for an adult human. Lucky you and your vet noticed it.

if all you got was Paw prints genetics results on the father, then the parents didn’t get the recommended testing. Paw Print testing is nice but doesn’t replace them.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Your little to grow bigger girl is very sweet.

If you take her into stores that allow pets, it's considered the polite thing to do to fully cover the child's seat or the bottom of the cart with a good thick, absolutely clean towel or blanket. For wherever she sits and leans.

It's also safer and far more comfortable for the puppy 😊.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
1,145 Posts
Pretty girl. Brown is my favorite solid color.

It looks like she is from Family Affair? To be honest, they don't have the best reputation (lots of breeding dogs, and lots of puppies produced), and depending on when her sire was imported, you might not be able to get her AKC registered, since the AKC stopped registering dogs with Russian Kennel Federation papers after Russia invaded Ukraine.

As far as tennis balls go, look for ones from companies like Hyper Pet, Chuck-it, and Kong. They are made specifically for dogs, and as such are safer for their teeth. Even "dog friendly" ones aren't meant to be chewed on, though.

·
Registered
Bentley - 6; Willow - 6; Mia - 3; Jasper - 3
236 Posts
It looks like she is from Family Affair? To be honest, they don't have the best reputation (lots of breeding dogs, and lots of puppies produced), and depending on when her sire was imported, you might not be able to get her AKC registered, since the AKC stopped registering dogs with Russian Kennel Federation papers after Russia invaded Ukraine.
Completely agree about Family Affair. It looks like they got him registered with AKC: PR25802601
Dog Search
But, of course, nothing comes back on him when searched on OFA.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Such a cutie 🙂 tips I got a few that will save you a tremendous amount of time and research. If you're going to keep the dog in a long haircut. Brush daily with a slicker brush and comb out with a finishing comb. Make sure the comb gets all the way down to the skin. Tangles and mats are a nightmare trust me on that one. Nothing worse than having to shave the dog because of them. It can all be avoided by taking a few seconds out of your day brushing and combing. You may want to look into some videos online about line brushing a standard poodle. If you don't brush them and comb them to the skin daily. You will be spending hours grooming or shaving the dog. Snout and PAW soother will keep the nose looking good and the paw pads. Clean them first with warm water and a rag gently. Invest in a dog toothbrush and brush three times a week minimum. Poodles are prone to dental issues it might be a good idea to have vet do full root verification. If you find any of those milk teeth laying around your home. Most of the time they swallow the milk teeth perfectly safe. In some cases the adult teeth come in with the milk teeth still there. Sometimes that requires extraction to prevent abscess. I've got some other posts on the forum around that show Dewy's milk teeth under a microscope. Lastly poodles more often than not have sensitive skin. I would start them off right with an oatmeal based bathing product like pictured below. Do a small test patch to make sure they're not allergic to oatmeal. I provide my groomer with this product for use on him. Have you thought about Embark testing DNA for genetic health? It's really amazing that's all I've got hopefully all that information can be of use to you. You might have already known most of this owning a mini. This was all stuff I've learned so far and from this forum. Cheers to your new adventure such a beautiful pup.
Liquid Bottle Green Fluid Ingredient
Dishware Motor vehicle Badge Font Material property
Rectangle Automotive tire Road surface Wood Floor

·
Registered
353 Posts
The dog dentist we had to take Loki to when we thought he broke a tooth said a lot of the dog toys are dangerous. If you can't bend it or push it in with your finger, throw it out. Also, watch for chewing on the wire crates.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts