Poodle Forum banner

Puppy available to adopt in Ontario? ~ Toy Poodle

8K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  For Want of Poodle 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello :) I am new here....I just created an account in order to see if anyone could recommend a breeder in Ontario. I would like to adopt a toy poodle soon. Does anyone know of any babies available at the moment?

We had an amazing little toy poodle and she lived to be 17 years old. She was so healthy and so smart. She passed away about 2 years ago and now I am ready to adopt another one. We originally adopted from a breeder in Mount Brydges, Ontario, but I lost all contact information.

The problem that I am having with kijiji is that many of the people posting puppies seem to be just in it for the money. I would rather the seller not be selling a puppy for a small fortune and instead know that the puppy is going to a good home. I would really appreciate any referrals where we could purchase an affordable, healthy puppy.

Thank you!! 💛

#2 ·
Generally, you adopt a previously owned dog, like from a shelter or organization. You want to buy a puppy.

Breeders who are breeding to maintain good health and proper temperament are not selling their puppies cheap. What you could do is find a reputable breeder, one who does DNA testing, and see if they might have had a puppy returned to them. An older puppy or young dog will usually be cheaper than a 3 month old puppy. You can also contact poodle rescue.

#3 ·
There's a saying that you either pay the breeder or pay the vet. If you're looking for long term affordability, you will want to purchase from a breeder that is doing not only dna testing, but also has OFA certification of healthy patellas completed. Good breeders typically do not sell on sites like kijiji. They also tend to breed larger toy poodles because they are healthier. The purchase price of a dog pales to the amount of money you will spend on food, vet care, training, and other supplies. It is better to purchase from a breeder you trust and who is in it to breed the best, healthiest dogs they can.

#4 ·
Good advice above.

A shot in the dark here...We have a respected member who is a standard breeder in Ontario. She might possibly know of the breeder you were so happy with before. Her website is Arreau Standard Poodles https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...poodles.net/&usg=AOvVaw3gM4rCkc5MAc3ceWpvXZRB

Also, there are some breeders in Minnesota, if importing would be an option. There was a very recent thread on this.
Here's a link to that thread

Good luck and stay in touch!

Reactions: Dogs4Life
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.