Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So I am hoping to be able to add a toy or miniature puppy to our family by the end of the year or early next year, and I have not had a puppy in about 12 years. Yikes. And I am wondering what are some tips, hints and suggestions for having a puppy and having to work. I am hoping that at max the puppy would be alone for 2-3 days of the week for roughly 4 hours max those days. I've read that getting a dog webcam with a treat dispenser may be beneficial during this time. And I have also read that puppies need to be let out to relieve themselves every half hour (or use the method of an hour per month of age). I am trying to figure out if I need to work on adjusting my work schedule more [if possible], or get family/friends to stop by to let the puppy out.

Any help is appreciated,
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I got my dog at almost 11 weeks and could go home at lunch. I started with her in a playpen, but she would pee on her bed in her crate and sleep in her litterbox, so I quickly switched to a crate. The first day I went home twice, but she didnt really need it, so I cut it back to only lunch. As someone who works, getting a puppy 3 weeks older was fantastic.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
If you have not had a toy puppy before please read up on hypoglycemia in small dogs.
I work full time and am on my 6th toy poodle, and I got my 4th toy poodle puppy at 18 1/2 weeks, I got all mine when they were older and past 4 pounds to ease my concern of them going into hypoglycemic shock. I took him to work with me the first week I had him and then I spent 2 1/2 weeks home.
And yes I had someone come in mid day to feed and care for him until he was a lot older.
My boy will be 3 this year

1 - 4 of 4 Posts