Poodle Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
For what this is worth, this can just be something she'll grow out of, if you all can survive the interrupted or shortened sleep a while longer.

My boys would always get nappish by 9p or 10p but neither DH nor I go to sleep til later (much later for me), so they don't get into their condo's til around 11:30p, since they were around 10m old.

Don't panic on the 10m age!. That's because until then, they'd been staying downstairs with me, but napping, til around 3a. I'd take them upstairs when I went to sleep. We'd make it til 8a or 9a,the peeping would commence, we'd all go out, they'd get brekkie, then we all went back to sleep for another hour or so. I think they patterned their early sleep habits off mine. Now that they're going to sleep when DH is, they get up when he does too. Surprisingly, that's still the 8a-9a time but he's up for the day then.

Oh, and we have their condo's covered by a throw blanket on three sides, with the back of them to the wall, and we always have white noise from the window AC unit.

Maybe the addition of dark and some masking sound might help?

And just thought to ask, what happens during the last hour or two before bedtime?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So little update. It’s working slowly but surely I’ve gained 15 minutes extra in a week. So going to keep this pattern of same alarm for a couple of days then add 5 minutes. She seems to be getting use to the alarm too so thank you all. I think a week or two from now and she’ll be waking up at the perfect time.

I have been a bit lenient and after her morning alarm and she’s been out I’ve pushed her feeding to when I want it to be so she’s not getting fed and walked until later. Just doing her business then I take her to my bed for any extra sleep needed and she goes back to sleep. I did say I wasn’t going to let her sleep in the bed, but I figured it’s a little compromise. She still has the independence at night and a little morning snuggle.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think I spoke to soon. Bow got a bit sick about 10 days ago had mild kennel cough. Which caused her to wake up in the night a few times and was sick. She’s on antibiotics but long story short for the past 9 days, she’s now waking up between 3:30-4:30 to go to the toilet, goes straight back to bed but then wakes up again between 5:00-5:30. So the whole trainings gone out the window and I feel like I’m back to square one (actually even more behind the square one as for the last 3 months she’s been sleeping until 5:30). I don’t even know how to start retraining atm as she’s waking up So inconsistently 🙈😢 I’m sooooo tired, feel like I’m trying everything. I’ve taken her for walks right before bed, played with her all evening when she usually sleeps. But nothing is making a difference. I tried to ignore her one evening as she was crying just an hour or two after bed and she had her first accident in months. She’s almost 6 months now and just a toy poodle is this what it’s going to be like? Is her bladder fully developed/size? Any ideas would be really helpful. Can I get a sleep trainer is that a thing?

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear she was sick again. :( And this sounds exhausting, so I'm sorry for you, too.

Have you fully blacked out her sleeping space? And can you outline her evening schedule for us in as much detail as possible?

I wouldn't stress too much about that one accident. Antibiotics can cause diarrhea, especially if used without a probiotic. And diarrhea can often trigger pee accidents as well as poo. Until she's back to 100%, she's likely to be restless and need more frequent toilet times.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know I’m hoping it’s just Because she’s not feeling great or maybe the antibiotics. Thank you. Luckily it was very mild but the cough was causing her to gag.

Her sleeping space is blacked out now, the curtains are black out and there’s a blanket over it. Sunrise here is about 5:40.

The accident I wasn’t worried about just felt bad for ignoring her as obviously she’s crying because she genuinely needs the toilet.

Yeah her evenings look like this;
6pm dinner
6:30pm walk (she always use to poop on her after dinner walk but hasn’t recently)
7-9pm play and naps. usually she would sleep during this time but last night we kept her awake playing for as much as possible.
10pm bedtime

She has free access to water, I’ve never restricted this. Her Diahrea has stopped now. But she has a few days left on her antibiotics and her food atm is still being mixed with rice and chicken.

Also she’s suppose to be getting spade in the next couple of weeks and I’m thinking that’s going to set her back too.

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
Wow. You have had a really rough ride with this little girl. She is lucky to have an owner who has given her such excellent care.

Being sick might have elevated her metabolism a bit. That would make her need to pee and poop more often. She might also be feeling extra clingy, because she doesn't feel well, and simultaneously hungry and reluctant to eat.

Even under perfect circumstances toys have the reputation for taking a bit longer to housebreak. Given her illness history, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if she is a little slow to mature. She will get there.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wow. You have had a really rough ride with this little girl. She is lucky to have an owner who has given her such excellent care.

Being sick might have elevated her metabolism a bit. That would make her need to pee and poop more often. She might also be feeling extra clingy, because she doesn't feel well, and simultaneously hungry and reluctant to eat.

Even under perfect circumstances toys have the reputation for taking a bit longer to housebreak. Given her illness history, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if she is a little slow to mature. She will get there.
Thank you. I know she’s a precious little one. Because throughout the day now she is so well behaved. Luckily she had kennel cough vaccination so it was very mild apparently but still scary to see her unwell again. 🙏🏼 We are over the worst of it!

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
Yes to what cowpony said. :)

I'd implement that schedule from my very first response, maybe even doing two nighttime potties (just making sure they're well before sunrise so she doesn't wake up too much).

I'm not seeing a pre-bedtime potty in your evening timeline. Maybe just an oversight, but if not, that potty is so important at her age. I would do whatever you can to ensure she pees and poops before going into her crate.

And I might be an anomaly here, but I find a nice quiet evening is important to a deep nighttime poodle sleep. We let her get her zoomies out and then start winding Peggy down a couple of hours before her bedtime, keeping the house nice and dark. That helps melatonin kick in, which is needed for quality sleep.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
PTP, you lit a candle there with the pre-sleep routine and the mention of melatonin.

I would definitely not give Bow any meds or supplements without consulting with her vet, given her rocky history, but melatonin can be given to dogs. I'm still looking for info about what age is appropriate. I see not under 12 weeks but not on the medical sites. Dosage must be discussed with a vet. (Never give any product which contains xylitol.)

As well as always being a night owl, I always had the most trouble falling asleep. I've been taking melatonin at night for some years now and rarely have trouble falling asleep anymore. (Staying asleep is a bit more difficult as I get less young, but that's another story lol.)

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
At that age, and assuming she's healthy, I feel like Bow's body should be producing melatonin just fine.

But just like with humans, a dark, relaxed bedtime routine is key to getting it pumping.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes to what cowpony said. :)

I'd implement that schedule from my very first response, maybe even doing two nighttime potties (just making sure they're well before sunrise so she doesn't wake up too much).

I'm not seeing a pre-bedtime potty in your evening timeline. Maybe just an oversight, but if not, that potty is so important at her age. I would do whatever you can to ensure she pees and poops before going into her crate.

And I might be an anomaly here, but I find a nice quiet evening is important to a deep nighttime poodle sleep. We let her get her zoomies out and then start winding Peggy down a couple of hours before her bedtime, keeping the house nice and dark. That helps melatonin kick in, which is needed for quality sleep.
Ah yes that was an oversight. She always goes to the toilet before bed. But not always popping.
What schedule did you suggest when I read up I couldn’t see one.do you think even though she’s been sleeping 7-8 hours a night I need to go back to night time potty now?

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
This one. :)

The method that worked for us was to make sure we always called the shots on wakeup time. Since you've been responding to Bow whenever she's ready to get up for the day, this will take a little patience.

First, make sure she has a small bedtime snack (so tummy acid doesn't wake her up) and fresh water available in her crate or pen so she doesn't have to ask for your help if she's thirsty.

Then set your alarm for before she typically wakes up. Sorry. Lol. The key is to get her back to sleep after, so ideally this will be while it's still dark. And you want her to WANT to go back to sleep, so it's going to have to be at a slightly painful time.

And then slowly start pushing that time back. So if you're getting her up at 3 and she's eagerly going back to bed after, push it to 3:30 for a few days. Then 4. If that's going well, and she's looking at you like, "WHY are you waking me up??" try pushing it to 7am.

At that point, you're going to be getting up with her, so be realistic when you choose the time.

And then continue with pushing it. Wake up for good at 7:15. Then 7:30. And so on.

It might be a way quicker process than I'm outlining. Or it may take 6 months. But the goal is to never ever let her out of the pen unless she's quiet and settled. Each time you break this rule, you're setting yourself back.
And yes, I do think she still needs a middle-of-the-night potty since you said she's now waking up between 3:30 and 430. You need to get ahead of that.

I'm sorry, lol. I know it stinks.

I'd also talk to your vet about adding a probiotic to help restore her gut health. Tiny baby's been through a lot. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That’s what I was afraid of! Ok so new plan. If she’s getting up at 4-4:30 for last few days. Start with an 3:50 alarm? Then do that for a few nights. Then move by 15 mins every few days do you think? Then do I still have her normal wake up time as she wakes up half hour-hour after that as she never poops in the same break as she wees. This is the last 10 days since she got sick. Day 13 is when she had her accident in her pen.

·
Super Moderator
4,269 Posts
Oh goodness. The pee-or-poop-but-never-both thing is just brutal. Urrrghhh.

Definitely complicates things.

You said her crate is attached to her playpen, right? Honestly, this isn't something I'd usually consider, but in this case I might actually just make a clearly designated toilet spot for her on absorbent pads or turf.

I also recall you didn't want her in your room because you were worried about separation anxiety? This enforced separation might actually be having the opposite effect.

Have you tried just letting her sleep in your room? She might be so content, she's less likely to be woken by her bladder or bowels.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
No I haven’t yet, it was a last resort if things didn’t get better. But I’m pretty much there and I read it wouldn’t create separation anxiety. I think I’d prefer that than her pottying inside. Thank you so so much for always replying ❤❤❤❤

21 - 37 of 37 Posts