Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Today was Pup’s first groom at a groomer’s (breeder had shaved face/feet/tail severel times prior to collection).

We’re looking to keep him in a slightly longer cut, teddy bear perhaps. I discussed this with the groomer prior to booking an appointment, and by all accounts he was a well behaved pup and should we decide he isnt a fit for us she was so impressed that she said she will have him off us (fat chance of that..)

Something I wasn’t too sure about was that when i dropped him off, she said that she was surprised the breeder had already shaved his face; apparently in talking to one of her groomer colleagues/friends they said a puppy coat shouldn’t be groomed until about 6 months?

He is my second poodle, albeit my last one was a pup 17 years ago and i was too young to be involved much with it all.

I don’t remember have a SuperFluffBall in a puppy last time, and pup at the moment is already what I’d call too fluffy for comfort..

is she right in saying that? She mentioned something about irreparably changing the coat because it is puppy fluff at the moment ans not adult fluff.. its a problem with pomeranians apparently, and also poodles??

iIt’s nothing I’ve heard of before, and i am sceptical of it.. She caught me off guard, and i went along with what she said because I had no better knowledge..

Sorry for waffling!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy. The thing about not grooming for [insert #] months is a myth. It won't change the coat at all. Yes, the coat will grow back differently, but that's because the coat is changing anyway and it doesn't matter if you groom or not. It's an issue in double coated dogs because they have fur rather than hair (as poodles have) and it isn't meant to be cut and regrown. Poodle people tend to recommend shaving the face for at least the first year or so because it helps dogs to become accustomed to the grooming process. Personally I prefer the shaved look for aesthetics, but it is also so much easier to keep a dog clean when they have a clean face.

·
Registered
7,259 Posts
is she right in saying that? She mentioned something about irreparably changing the coat because it is puppy fluff at the moment ans not adult fluff.. its a problem with pomeranians apparently, and also poodles??

iIt’s nothing I’ve heard of before, and i am sceptical of it.. She caught me off guard, and i went along with what she said because I had no better knowledge..
There’s no logic in what she said In regards to poodles. You can’t damage the coat by grooming.

Reactions: Eclipse

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Groom went well thanks, although in fairness all she did was bathe, dry, nails, groin and ears!

personally.... i like the shaved face on a poodle, but my other half is less keen... slowly going to work on him though 😉🙃

i think the comparison to a pom’s coat came in because she had asked another groomer..? She did seem quite young, albeit good structures in place for drop off/collection, and good communication as well... i think she was concerned more about doing something wrong and irreparable...

hopefully the hot spell here in the UK is over (not that I want cold..just middle ground!) so I’m hoping pup will be more comfortable.

Hopefully managed to attach photos of pup!

·
Super Moderator
1,478 Posts
I agree with PtP. Sounds like she is ignorant about poodle coats.

Trimming the fur of a double coated breed, such as a Pomeranian or a German Shepherd, will mess up the coat. Double coated dogs shed. Their hair grows to the appropriate length, stops growing, and eventually gets shed to allow new hair to start growing. These dogs have an undercoat, which they shed regularly, and the outer coat/ guard hairs. The guard hairs take a while to shed out and regrow. Once you trim the guard hairs it could be a couple years before all the damaged hair sheds out and regrows properly. In the mean time you will have prickly guard hair stubble mixed in with softer undercoat.

Poodles are single coated: they don't have a mix of undercoat and guard hairs. Instead it has uniform texture (at least once the puppy coat change happens) and keeps growing continuously, the same as human hair. Cutting doesnt change poodle hair texture; it just makes the hair shorter.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
Your pup looks ADORABLE!!

I'd consider seeking out a poodle savvy groomer, if that's an option where you live. My groomer did push back against cutting Peggy's puppy fluff, but would never have considered leaving her face, feet, and sanitary area/base of tail unshaven. It really helps keep puppy clean and comfortable.

She also felt our breeder should have shaved Peggy's face more not less before she came home to us, and did a little catch-up by having us come in frequently so she could slowly work Peggy up to spending longer on the table. The outcome of her savviness is that Peggy loves going to the groomer—so important for a poodle.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hi!

I'm dropping by to say that after making the very smart moves of getting Pup used to grooming while young and getting that adorable massive fluffpuff under control :), you'll eventually both be able to have the looks you like.

Keep up bathing about every two weeks. Trim eyes, feet, and sanitaries about every two weeks. Thoroughly comb through down to the skin and brush daily or every two days, and you can grow the rest out in between full grooms. I used to joke that we got new poodles every 2-3 months.

A sample:

Remo had a mustache for a while

With poodles, it grows back!

I have to say that now that I'm doing the full grooming myself, because we got fired from the groomer for badly behaving poodles getting snappish, I find I prefer keeping them trim rather than scruffly.

If DH had agreed to getting them used to grooming while young, it would be a choice if I did the grooming now, not a necessity. I've come to enjoy doing it, tho I'm not good at it, so it turned out well for us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your replies!
I’m glad I wasn’t going crazy/hadn’t missed some vital info about the poodle coat...

i will be doing some research into poodle savvy groomers, and get him booked in again!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Omg what a cute pup! Congratulations!!
I understand why you would be confused! I suspect this groomer isn’t a qualified one as you learn all the basics of coat types in college. I would make sure any groomer you use has A City and Guilds level 3 qualification as many don’t have any and just open salons after deciding to become dog groomers! Its a good idea to find a poodle Savvy one too!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts